Palm tree charters

Travel discussion for St. John
StMax

Palm tree charters

Post by StMax »

Family is scheduled to spend the day with Capt John three weeks from tomorrow. Their only real request is lunch at Willy T's. Between Capt John and some other charters they've been to Indians, Sandy, and Soggy several times. Not that there is a thing wrong with any of those locations just soliciting ideas for other stops. A little snorkeling and exploring a different beach or two. Two teenage daughters and their hip and fun parents.
michigan girls

Re: Palm tree charters

Post by michigan girls »

I love the snorkeling at The Caves. We're going out with Captain John next April. I think we'll swap out one of our traditional stops for snorkeling at either The Bight or Henley Cay, neither of which we've done before.
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

In just over 2 weeks we will be out with Captain Brandi...4th trip to STJ and 4th time out with John! :D The past 2 years we have snorkeled Congo and Lovongo...Incredible drift snorkel that we will request again this time! Me and hubby traveling with 2 teens as well...son and daughter!

Safe travels and have an amazing trip! :D
RickG

Post by RickG »

I love having a first stop at Leinster Bay on St. John. John has been hitting B-Line near Sandy Spit/Diamond Cay/Green Cay lately, and we've heard good things about that stop. Going in the other direction, we had an amazing snorkel at the the Wreck of the Rhone in March, and we're heading back there in two weeks on a sailboat; Cooper Island/Salt Island have great snorkeling. Salt Island is a very cool stop.

If it were me, I'd tell Capt. John what you like and let him fill in the blanks. He knows what's good when. If you're lucky and the swell is gentle you'll get a great smooth ride this time of year.

We'll be out on CYOA's Mei Nu June 13-23, a teal hulled Jenneau 44'. We always keep an eye out for Capt. John!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

We will be out with Captain John in two weeks. Will follow your advice Rick. Maybe we will see you out there. Enjoy!
54b

Post by 54b »

Going with Captain John in a little over 3 weeks.

Pretty similar experiences in the past as StMax, so really appreciate him asking the question. What our group has been considering:

Snorkel - Indians and Caves are on the list, hard to beat. Have done Lavongo as well, but wasn't as impressed as the first two. I've heard a reef near Sandy Spit is decent too and this Wreck of the Rhone RickG speaks of sounds cool. As for Leinster/Waterlemon Cay, I've no doubt Captain John knows that bay like the back of his hand, but since we can do that one on our own, we don't spend the limited BVI time on it.

Lunch - We've eaten lunch at Foxy's, Soggy's, and Foxy's Taboo and while the food is just as good as or maybe better than the Willy T, it's hard to beat that unique Willy T experience. Again, just my opinion. I know other people swear by Soper's Hole too.

Early Afternoon Stop - Usually this equates to a stop that's half adventure, half bar. Pirates Cove with the guy that sells drinks made in a blender off a car battery is fun and it's a nice beach. Never done the bubbly pool on Jost, but I hear that's cool if the waves are up a bit (though be careful). Getting marooned on Sandy Spit long enough to make a sand angel, snap some Castaway pics and chug a cold one is practically a tradition. (Sidenote: Also for some reason, you always seem to see naked people there. Something about Sandy Spit I guess brings out the "Blue Lagoon" in people.)

For this trip though, I think we're skipping Sandy Spit and Pirates and going to B-Line. Looks fun, heard lots of good things.

Last Stop - Got to be White Bay for Soggy's and One Love, maybe Ivan's if there's time. Trip after trip, I've noticed we've tried to get to White Bay sooner and sooner. Where as we love STJ for its quiet beaches, we expect White Bay and Soggy's to be something akin to Jimmy Buffet tailgate and embrace that.

Anyway, that was our thought process. Thanks for asking the question. Also interested in all the other answers.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
StMax

Post by StMax »

Great suggestions. Thanks for the replys. Very helpful. I'll let you know the final agenda and results. We are out with Capt John on June 23. Hopefully we will see the Mei Nu slicing through some calm water!
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

Thanks for asking this question, StMax! I'm attempting to book with Palm Tree in November and was wondering the same thing....where will we go? We're going to pack a lunch and try to snorkel all day - thanks for the suggestions everyone!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Captain john once took us to snorkel Spyglass which was awesome!! We also did the Bight. Ask him for a different location!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
augie

Post by augie »

For the first stop we've also done Henley Cay and Mary Point, as alternatives to Leinster or Lovango.

Figure out - and let Captain John know, about how long you like to stay in the water on your snorkel stops. After our first trip with him he suggested that we pack a lunch rather than make a lunch stop because we would typically stay in the water up to an hour, and sometimes longer when we'd snorkel.

If you'd rather not repeat a certain stop he has plenty of alternatives. I think I'll never get tired of The Indians, but if there are a bunch of boats moored there I'd opt for somewhere less crowded. If the conditions are favorable for it, Spyglass Wall, as ERL mentioned, is a great spot (I think it would also be an excellent dive site) that is just off of Norman Island.

The problem for us with The Rhone, and Virgin Gorda in general, is that you burn up a lot of time getting there and back - time that we'd rather spend being in the water!
Come see us!