Jost recommendations

Travel discussion for St. John
nancyr84

Jost recommendations

Post by nancyr84 »

In 10 days we will be back on island , first time bringing family. We have been to Jost before and thought about going on the public ferry for a day. I thought it would be the most economical . I see ferry is $80 and there is also a departure tax to pay. I would like an opinion on options available. I would just stay on St John the whole time but we want to show our family around. Any ideas?
Wolfhound

Re: Jost recommendations

Post by Wolfhound »

We have been by ferry many times. It is a good way to go. I like to walk around Great Harbour when we arrive, get a cab to White Bay, Gregory Callwood from the Perfect Pineapple usually takes us. We then get him to take us to Sydney's and we end the day at Foxy's before the return ferry. I always want to spend a day on Jost when we are on St John.
Henry

Post by Henry »

Depending on how many people you have, you mar want to do a water taxi.
CHM

Post by CHM »

Depending on the size of your group, a private charter might be the better option. Palm Tree Charters, Copeland Boat Charters, and for a group of 7 plus Born to RHumb just to name a few. The day on the water snorkeling , boating, and the time on Jost is one of the most amazing days on our trip.
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

Just got back 3 weeks ago and had a great time booking with St John Boat Rental. We had so much fun.

Not sure how many in your party but we booked their boat Innovation and the price was $750 including the gas! Here's the link,

http://stjohnboatrental.net
54b

Post by 54b »

Some additional food for thought...

In reading your inquiry, it sounds like your objective is more adventure/experience driven than "Jost" driven. And while I love JVD, I've always considered it the icing on a BVI charter day vs a lone destination because when you break it down, it's really a beautiful beach, a handful of fun beach bars/restaurants and some t-shirt shops.

Again, I love JVD, but is it worth around $100/per person to go enjoy things that are all readily available on STJ?

One could argue that Soggy's is a fairly unique experience, but again, when's the last time you paid $100 to go to a bar?

That's a long way of saying, I'd rethink Jost entirely. Either pay a little more per person to do some kind of a private or group charter that includes snorkeling and multiple bar stops including JVD, or save the cash and choose a day to get really off the beaten path on STJ (like going to some of less visited South Shore beaches like (Kiddle, Grootpan, Lameshur, etc.)

The only time I took the ferry to JVD, my wife and I were overnighting at Ivan's campground and in that case, I thought it made a lot of sense because we paid $65/person for the ferry plus cabs ($20/person) plus the cost of an Ivan's cabin ($75), but got almost 32 hours (over on the morning ferry, back the next afternoon) to really explore and enjoy Jost doing things that aren't usually available to day trippers – enjoyed Foxy's famous BBQ buffet, stayed at Soggy's well into the evening, explored all the places on White Bay, watched a soccer match with a bunch of ex-brits at Foxy's, spent the night at Ivan's) vs the 5 hours you'd get doing a one-day turn on the ferry.

Again, just some additional food for thought.
Last edited by 54b on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

54b, you hit it right on with your post.

As a first timer to St John, we have so much more to explore on SJ but the BVI's really grabbed us. Next time, hopefully sooner than later, we plan on staying in the BVI's for a few days before our stay in St John.

Don't want to hijack this thread but what were your thought's on Ivan's cabins? See, we wanted to check it out but hey, no time for that!! LOl
54b

Post by 54b »

Summerlover, Ivan's is fun but it's spartan. When I say cabin, I mean four walls and a door with a padlock. They do have electricity and come with a fan and a little fridge (unless things have changed...it's been 4 years.) The bathrooms and showers are community style. Put another way, you are one step removed from simply camping in a tent.

It was June when we went and I definitely had trouble sleeping because of the heat. My wife actually slept fine. My thinking is that Ivan's is probably a lot more suitable for the winter months, but you can stay there all year.

The main building at Ivan's is a help yourself bar and I thought Ivan and his family were a lot of fun when they were around. Kind of hit or miss.

Soggy's is an easy walk from Ivan's and we ate breakfast there and then spent the morning and early afternoon there as well until it was time to head to the ferry.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
IA Joe

Post by IA Joe »

I agree that it can be a lot of money, but there is something about White Bay. We took a day sail over on Calypso on our recent trip, and it was the high point of our trip. Of course there was the snorkeling and sailing, which was so relaxing, but sitting in the beach chairs, the people, the boats close in, the Nilla Killas. In two trips to STJ, Jost Van Dyke was the best day each time. Hard to explain why, but we just love that day.

Joe