St John Trip Report - May 31st - June 8th (long)

Travel discussion for St. John
Ed S

St John Trip Report - May 31st - June 8th (long)

Post by Ed S »

This was our 6th trip to St John since 2009. My wife and I go annually in early December, but added this trip to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Hoping this is the start of a new trend of going twice a year! This was our 13th trip to the USVIs (since honeymooning at Secret Harbor in St Thomas).

We always rent from Avis at STT, and stay at Gallows Point – it just works out perfectly for us. Very nice upper ocean condo with great views of St Thomas, beautifully maintained grounds, good snorkeling right there, and a 2 minute walk down the hill to restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Although it doesn’t have a beach, we would rather drive to all the great St John beaches, but be able to walk to bars/dinner and not worry about driving or parking.

We really enjoy snorkeling/ beaches, and dining out, so this trip report will pretty much only cover that.

Snorkeling/Beaches:
Our favorite that we return to often is Francis. Really nice beach, easily accessible (4WD helps), and we love the snorkeling. We always see octopus there (in the same one of two places on the right on the way out towards Mary Point). Although this past December we were able to see one much better (wife played tug of war with one with a beautiful red/orange true tulip, which she found and brought to the octopus “for lunch”), this trip, we were able to see two octopus under two different rocks, but they were both very much concealed. I saw his two eyes and an arm, after we scared him in further, could only see one eye and one arm). Other highlights during our frequent visits to Francis were seeing three huge tarpon several times one morning, a ~6ft. nurse shark, some stunning/large angel fish (gray and French), along with the usual rays, turtles, barracuda, and more other fish than I can remember. This was the first year that we made it all the way to Mary Point, since the current back wasn’t too bad. We also snorkeled the left side all the way towards Maho (since someone had mentioned in a trip report last month that they saw an octopus on the right side of Maho), but no luck, although a pleasant snorkel, where I saw a huge “wide” (or should I say tall) fish which I believe was a Palmeto or Pompano – not positive though. As a note – I noticed on the forum a lot of people complaining about mosquitos at Francis – we were fine the entire week (although we lived in Deep Woods Off the entire trip and it worked great for us).

Gibney Beach – this was our first time visiting Gibney. Very small, pretty, intimate/secluded beach just a short walk from the “parking” area. We were the first car there (on Sunday, 6/1 not until probably around 10:00am after picking up our snorkel gear from Low Key – were are not early risers). We got the first spot – which proved to be difficult getting out since someone parked next to us and in front of the gate which it took me a while to maneuver out with my wife’s help. Snorkeled to the right, excellent visibility (best of all places), nice corals, literally millions of little fish – very pretty. Had fully intended to get back during the week but that never happened (too many beaches, too little time!).

Little Lameshur – Must have high clearance to get there (i.e. a jeep), although it was not nearly as bad as December where I felt like I was driving through many deep ponds. Great snorkeling (to the left) – our highlight was seeing a huge spotted eagle ray! Also saw 3 separate piles of shells, but no octopus in sight (Little Lameshur was where in Dec. we actually saw our first and only octopus out and about swimming around and not hiding, so we were hopeful that would happen again).

Great Lameshur – excellent, relaxing ~2 hour snorkel. One octopus hiding, but could see his arm and one eye, a 4 ft. barracuda (we also saw something we never saw before – a school of young barracudas ~20-30 of them), all types of angel fish (queen, French, gray), turtles, rays, and many other interesting fish (noteworthy were jack knife, honey comb cow fish, scrawled file fish, queen trigger fish, Spanish hog fish, and many others).

Haulover North – first time there – calm enough to give it a try – went to the left and saw the most spectacular coral we have ever seen – just simply amazing!

Haulover South – always a nice snorkel – nothing I can recall as noteworthy.

Gallows Point/Frank Bay – always surprised how healthy the coral/reef is being so close to Cruz Bay. Beautiful coral, nice depth variation, several schools of blue tang, 5 ft. nurse shark, and a very exciting second spotted eagle ray sighting in Frank Bay!

Salt Pond – always a great snorkel, especially way out in the middle past the mooring balls to the rocks. Not this time though – the visibility wasn’t great, but worse yet, the current getting from the middle to the right and back was strong. Once back, my wife said never again. Counting on her forgetting by the next time! Did the hike to Drunk Bay – well worth the short 0.3 mile walk. Amazing views – another world out there!

Jumbie Bay – first time there – nice small beach, but did the snorkel to the left and all the way to Denis Bay (since we heard there was good snorkeling there). The visibility was very poor, and the currents were strong. Good work out, but that was about it. Maybe one and done, we’ll see next time.

Dining: We most always just eat a light breakfast at Gallows, and then eat lunch and dinner out.

Dinners:
Zozo’s at Caneel – perfect place to celebrate our 30th anniversary. 2nd time there ( 6th counting when at Gallows). Great Pappardelle with porcini truffle cream sauce, and black ink linguini with lobster tomato sauce. Both had the special – braised lamb shank – huge portions and very tender – excellent choice (especially accompanied by a glass of Tignanello – at $20/glass, a great buy).

La Tapa – always one of our annual favorites. Very fresh tuna, and perfectly cooked rare rib eye. (had a nice table for two on the sidewalk to the right when facing La Tapa – very private – not next to anyone).

Waterfront Bistro – table on the rail, escargot to die for, melt in your mouth filet mignon, and great rib eye with parmesan truffle fries.

Lime Inn – consistent – love their brie-stuffed filet mignon. Rich the owner is always fun to talk to (coincidentally 30 years ago he owned a restaurant in our town – Chesapeake Seafood Co.).

Banana Deck – our usual first night “casual” go to place. Ocean Grill – great rack of lamb and super-fresh mahi-mahi. Ocean 362, pretty good (2nd time there), but for whatever reason, we may skip it next time (as we had been to The Terrace in December and skipped that this time….. maybe just too many restaurants, and too little time). We also tried Da Livio’s for the first time (even though I was reluctant due to the mixed reviews) – actually an incredible Regina pizza with an amazing crust, and their homemade pastas were also good.

Lunches – Deli Grotto for curry chicken salad and tuna salad sandwiches for the beach, Joe’s Rum hut for their incredible Big “G” burgers, Miss Lucy’s for the view and great Grouper Reuben’s (and the service was fine, not too slow), Aqua Bistro (great view and nice breeze at the bar), Shipwreck Landing was just “ok” this time. We tried De Coal Pot for the first time – very good curry goat and chicken roti (although the chicken is on the bone and requires some work).

Overall a wonderful trip. Weather was fantastic – only rained for a few minutes while we were out snorkeling at Great Lameshur. Maybe the Sahara Dust (which wasn’t much of a downside) kept the storms at bay. We usually spend a day on JVD via ferry, but this time just felt like maximizing our time on STJ – never enough time to do everything! We are already planning our next trip for Dec. 6-14th (and frequenting the forums and webcams to get me through the next 6 months!).
Last edited by Ed S on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image[/url]
islandjo2010

Re: St John Trip Report - May 31st - June 8th (long)

Post by islandjo2010 »

Thank you Ed S...
I loved all the details in your snorkeling reports! :D I hope Haulover North is calm while we are there...would love to check it out. And think we should give Salt Pond a try once more.

Thanks again for sharing! :)
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Thanks for a great trip report. We are very much into snorkeling, so we appreciate all the info. We haven't done Haulover North, nor Gibney, so I saved your info to use for future trips :)

Interesting that you had such a good snorkel at Francis. We had planned to go to Hawksnest on Weds (6/4) because one person in our group had a foot injury so we wanted a short walk to the beach. When we parked at Hawksnest, we heard what sounded like big waves. My hubby went to check it out, and sure enough, the waves were pretty rough. So we went to Francis (figuring it would be calm) and snorkeled in the bay and over to Little Maho. It was so murky, you could hardly see anything. The only notables were a big tarpon around the rocks, and a porkfish, (beautiful and we rarely see them). Now I wish we had done the right side out to Mary's Point, as we have done in previous years. The bugs were sooo bad and biting our faces, necks and arms, despite using Off, so we didn't stay after our snorkel for our picnic lunch.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

AquaGirl,
We weren't at Francis on 6/4 - that is the day we did Jumbie and snorkeled to Denis, then just hung out at Gallows after lunch and snorkeled there. That now explains why we had such a bad snorkel Jumbie to Denis that morning (bad currents, bad visibility) - similar conditions that you experienced. As far as bugs go, I guess we were lucky, not experiencing anything bad the entire week (although we lived in deep woods off, including re-applying after snorkeling, and stayed closer to water vs. brush/woods where possible).
Image[/url]
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Not too long for me. Enjoyed your report lots! Thanks for sharing!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Enjoyed reading about your snorkeling adventures, as well as food choices. We have similar tastes in both! Thanks for sharing!
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

I am jealous that you saw so many octopus. I will be looking for one at Francis
on the right side. Hopefully I will get to see one this year. I did see one swimming
around one year but it was before I had an underwater camera. I am just amazed
as much snorkeling as I do I have not seen another one. Another reason to go to
St John I guess.Three more days until then.
Thanks for the report on your special trip. We will be celebrating our 35.
Beach Creecher
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Wanda, congrats on your 35th! As I'm sure you are already aware, just look for a pile of clean open shells usually next to a hole or crevasse. Dive down and look closely - he is usually in there. They can make themselves blend perfectly to look pretty much exactly like the rock or coral they are near/under. Last week, on our first visit, I dove down and looked several times unsuccessfully, and then finally realized what I was looking at was his 2 eyes staring right back at me! Good clear water visibility and sunny skies helps a bit. Good luck - hope you spot one next time. (for us, the 2 places were on the right at Francis - first was in between a large dead branch(es) and a huge cactus, and then next was just past the first small somewhat sandy beach on the way out towards Mary Point.
Image[/url]
silands

Post by silands »

Great report so much info thanks a lot
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary, my husband and I are coming up on our 33rd :shock: ! The trip report was great and I think it would be hard to keep up with you 2! We are headed down in August for a few weeks with my best friend and newbie joining us for 5 days, hope she gets our "heaven on earth" :D
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I very much enjoyed your report, especially because we were on island at the same time (well, we are still on island). If you flew from EWR to STT, we were even on the same flight.

We did encounter some (but not brutal) no-see-ums at Francis the week you were here... even in the middle of the day. If Francis is not buggy, it is our overall (snorkeling and hanging-out) favorite beach.

As you mentioned, the weather has been treating visitors very well.

Congratulations on your 30th anniversary! We are celebrating our 20th on this trip.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Pickle lucky you are still there. Congrats on your 20th! We flew direct EWR to STT on 5/31 United 1519 small world. We're probably on the same beaches at some point. We were ok with bugs when we kept our chairs close to the water and stayed away from the tree line (and lived in deep woods off). Even at Francis.
MyheartsinSTJ congrats in your 18th. By the end of the week we had a hard time keeping up with us 2!!! My wife was usually in bed by 10:00 exhausted! (Probably as much the drinking as the snorkeling!)
Image[/url]