First trip to St John

Travel discussion for St. John
southernmom

First trip to St John

Post by southernmom »

We just returned on Sunday from our first trip to St John and it was fantastic! We had never been anywhere in the Caribbean, and I don't think we will want to go anywhere else. This forum really helped us plan our trip and gave us great tips for things to do.

This trip was a celebration for several big events: hubby and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary last fall, our oldest just graduated from college, our middle just graduated from high school, and our niece was getting married at Caneel Resort. We stayed at a villa overlooking Hart Bay, and because someone on this forum recommended collecting sea glass here, I collected several pieces one morning. We snorkeled (for the first time) at Hawksnest, Maho, and Leinster. I was amazed at how long we could stay out without tiring.

As part of the wedding festivities we took a sunset cruise from Caneel to Cruz Bay. We were hungry afterward so we went to Woody's to eat. (I had to go since it was mentioned so many times here.) The next evening we had the rehearsal dinner on the beach at Caneel, and to my surprise, InnerVisions provided the entertainment! I had really wanted to hear them; however, after only a few selections, a rain shower pushed everyone inside, and they didn't perform again. The wedding the following day was beautiful, and the wedding dinner was held at Rhumb Lines.

I will try to post some pictures/video later. My husband used a GoPro for the first time and took some great video. Our kids also took some great photos that I can share. I can see why St John is so special to those who visit as well as to those who call it home. We certainly hope we can return soon. Thank you again for all the tips and comments that helped make our trip so special.
Nancie-Pa

Re: First trip to St John

Post by Nancie-Pa »

I, too, came to the island for the first (but not last!) time because of a wedding. My cousin's daughter got married at the Westin, which is where we all stayed, and I had a blast discovering all the many wonderful things about STJ. I tell her my addiction (yes, I am a St.Johnaholic) is all her fault! :lol: My husband says it wouldn't have mattered what Caribbean island I visited for the first time,I would have fallen in love with it. But I'm not convinced of that. There is something innately powerful about St. John. And I think you have been "bitten" by the STJ bug! :D

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and experienced a lot of "firsts". Can't wait to see photos!
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Glad to hear you had a great trip! We are planning our 20th anniversary trip after many STJ trips, starting with our honeymoon. STJ is addictive, I don't know what else compares.

We on this forum love to give advice so ask away as you plan your next trip.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

My husband says it wouldn't have mattered what Caribbean island I visited for the first time,I would have fallen in love with it. But I'm not convinced of that. There is something innately powerful about St. John.
I agree with you Nancie-Pa! My husband and I sent to the Bahamas first. While it was nice, it didn't give me the bug. And technically, we all go to St. Thomas before we get to STJ and on my first trip sitting in the cab from the airport to Red Hook I was thinking "What the heck did I get myself (and my two girlfriends) into???". But as soon as we step off the ferry on STJ it was kinda like that scene in the Wizard of Oz where everything is suddenly colorful, you hear singing and see flowers and butterflies everywhere. OK....maybe I'm exaggerating just a little weensy bit but I was instantly stricken with "the fever" and haven't recovered yet!! So welcome to the madness southernmom!!