A note from Ruth to all Forum members

Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

A note from Ruth to all Forum members

Post by Xislandgirl »

June 30th, 2014

Our Curly has been relieved of all suffering. It was clear that it was his time and the vet was due later today but he went on his own, very peacefully. We were at home with him and I was thanking him and singing to ease his discomfort. Since he was my first dog, there is nothing that could have prepared me for the pain of watching him suffer from kidney disease and then slip away, or for the hole in our lives that Curly once filled.

There is also nothing that could have prepared me for the love and joy he brought into our lives since he found us in August of 2011. He came to us when we unknowingly were about to begin a very difficult journey. We thought we were helping him, but instead he helped us. He was a gift.

We are thankful to so many people who took the time to notice what a fine and handsome boy he was and who took a moment to smile and pet him and feel how soft his fur was or to play with him and get his little stub of a tail wagging. More than anything, we are grateful for all the prayers and love that were sent to him and us during the last part of his mostly happy life.

In the past few months I have spent a lot of time thinking about loss. So much of this life is about the gifts that we are given that it stands to reason that some of it would be about what we lose. I have thought about how my loved ones and friends have dealt with loss and I have suffered again for them in the remembering. Really the only thing we get to keep is our memories. I know that the struggle of our daily lives is to balance our memories of what we have lost with the ability to recognize and appreciate the gifts of the present.

Rest in peace and comfort, Curly Spice, and know that you were much loved.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404250027.737982.jpg
mbw1024

Re: A note from Ruth to all Forum members

Post by mbw1024 »

I was at the salon today and was thinking about Ruth and Ron and Curly and I cried, not even really knowing it. The girl doing my pedicure thought she hurt me. Such a sweet face. Curly will be missed by many. XO to our Spice family.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm so sorry for your loss Ruth and Ron. I hope you find comfort in knowing that you gave him a loving home in his last years.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
toni

Post by toni »

So sorry to read this. As a long time volunteer with a canine rescue it is a joy seeing how much a pet can affect people's lives and how much in turn the pets are loved by their people. If you're not familiar with the Rainbow Bridge poem, it might help. http://www.legendofrainbowbridge.com/poem.html

They really do become part of the family. My sympathy to you all and a virtual hug.
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

What a sweetie he was!
He'll always be with you in some form or another...that's what memories are for. And I hope those memories bring you peace and comfort.
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Oh Ruth, I'm so sorry for your loss. Curly was such a sweetie. Thinking of you and Ron...
Image[/url]
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

Curly was just the sweetest little dog, and I don't think I ever saw you or Ron so happy as with him, Ruth. He was a lucky pup to find you both. The pain of losing a pet is just awful. xoxo
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

Sorry for your loss. Remember he will always be there, especially when you need him most. Our friends never really leave.
High in the rockies?
lprof

Post by lprof »

Curly found Ruth and Ron through the Animal Care Center of St John.

Anyone wishing to make a contribution in Curly's name can do so here... near the end of the process there is a space for noting that the donation is remembering Curly. http://www.stjohnanimalcarecenter.com/donate
... no longer a stranger to paradise
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

So sorry for your loss. Read something yesterday that resonated with me about my own losses - reposting in hopes that it might do the same for you. Even though it's about losing people, I think it applies.

"Remember that you are your friend. The thoughts and ideas you had and still have about him are your creations and concepts as much as they were his. You are made of each other. The times you spent together helped shape your days and make you the person you are right now. Your friend is bound up in all of you, as much a part of you as your blood and bones."

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/201 ... e_dies.php
silands

Post by silands »

So sorry for your lost, the joy that a pet can bring to your life is never understood unless you have one, keep thinking of the good times and he is free
of pain now.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose. For all that we deeply loved becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

tropicdawg

Post by tropicdawg »

I lost my sweet Lab of 11 years exactly one month before the loss of your sweet boy. I miss him every day but his sweet spirit still lives in my heart. May you too find peace and still know the joy that it was to live life with Curly.

A dog's only fault is that his life is too short :'(
Image[/img]
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

So sorry. Prayers for healing hearts... asap. Dogs are truly a gift of unconditional love.
BetsyV

Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Oh Ruth, I am so sorry for you and Ron. Our beloved pets bring so much joy to our lives.