Stereos on the beaches/ littering-

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

Stereos on the beaches/ littering-

Post by mahojim »

Ok, so maybe this topic might have been brought up before, but not in my lazy memory...
On a different forum, someone remarked about their party if 2 being mellow, limin' away, and loving a sunny morning on Maho,- listening to only the sounds of the water lapping up and back, and all of the atmosphere that we dream about.
Then, a bunch of folks decided to "make camp" close to them, and blasted a music system right there. From their description, it sounded obtrusive, but I wasn't there.
All the same, what do yous guys think?
I'm leaning more towards the "save that for the villa, and/or Jeep" notion, but who am I to judge? Hell, sometimes I wish I could have a rockin' party on the beach, but I also realize that I don't own the beach;- it's everybody's to enjoy in their own way. Am I sounding pig-headed by saying that people who blast music on the beach just don't "get it"?
Does it depend on what music they're playing? Reggae...? Kenny Chesney...? Inner Visions...? Steely Dan...? KC And The Sunshine Band...? Jimmy Buffett? Olivia Newton John...- "I Honestly Love You"- JAWS reference...might not be the best "for instance", but still... How does one potentially differentiate ? What if they're locals who just want to finally cut loose and jam-out on the beach after a long week of work...?
I'm pretty sure that most STJ lovers go down there for the serene, calm placidity of the beauty that it holds. We all work hard to get there, and deserve to enjoy a vacation our own way.
I remember a post that I put on this here board regarding how one of the safari/taxi drivers followed us island wide, because a passenger in our Jeep threw his empty cigarette box out the window of the Jeep. At the time, I was pissed off and embarrassed that he did so, and when the taxi driver caught up with us, he scolded my buddy, accordingly and rightfully.
Littering...It wasn't me, but I was humiliated.
Do you correct people who litter on the beach? Confront them, and deal with the repurcussions?
So holding it against someone who plays music too loud...- how would you handle it?
It's a pickle, no?
Smiles-
MJ
iheartsj

Re: Stereos on the beaches/ littering-

Post by iheartsj »

I have to respond to your comment: I'm leaning more towards the "save that for the villa.

Really? Please be aware that many of the "villas" are located in residential neighborhoods. Not everyone in the houses around the villa are on vacation. Many are hard-working middle class folks who have to get up at dawn to provide you with a wonderful vacation experience. These are the people who work on the charter boats, cook your food, and clean your place.

At least on the beach, you can get up and move to a different location if a noisy group moves in.

When on vacation, think about what your neighbors at home would do if you were blasting your music while yelling in the pool til 3 a.m.

It all just a matter of respect.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

We have had this happen to us on 3 occasions. The worst, a couple years ago we were at Trunk Bay on a very quiet morning there, very few people. We had gone to the left from the walkway and setup with no one close by, in fact the 100 or so yards to our left was mostly empty.
After about an hour a group of 10 people set up directly in front of us, very close with loud music, dancing and loud talking. We just moved down the beach as did a few other couples. Not sure what i would have done if there had been no place to move, probably go to another beach.
At Ocean City in Maryland i'd probably ask them to be quiet down or leave but on SJ I'm in my happy place and it would take a lot to make me up my blood pressure :D
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

We had that experience last month on Francis. My daughter and I were relaxing and a group of young girls were playing the music and drinking. The music and their voices getting progressively louder as the champagne consumption increased. We decided to leave.
Now I've been coming down since the 80's so I may very well be descending into old and crotchety territory but my 27 year-old daughter felt as annoyed as I. I hate the thought of St. John turning into a party island.
That being said I do believe people have the right to enjoy their vacation as they see fit. I just hope they see fit to go to Cancun instead !
RickG

Post by RickG »

Happens to us on most visits to Cinnamon Bay, add frisbee and football games going on over our heads as well. Very much rude Jersey Beach (the third-rail of beach analogies) behavior. We skip Cinnamon Bay.

If someone camps next to use and starts any behavior that impacts our enjoyment we politely introduce ourselves and make a suggestion as to appropriate behavior. Fun behavior, unobtrusive smoking, glass bottles poured into plastic cups, etc. done well is cool with me. We have had people bitch us out, I just suggest that perhaps they'd prefer Cinnamon Bay? The VI Park office is 340-776-6201 and the Park Police will respond to complaints

Of course, and hypocritically, I believe there was a loud and bawdy forum group on Maho Halloween week?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

iPod and headphones work for me. If anyone came near me with a boom box and started playing loud music, I would definitely say something. I've never had it happen in sixteen trips to STJ. Trash/bottles in the National Park gets the same response from me. I fear no one.
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

This was posted on a different forum some time ago. It might help the clueless if it was posted on the entrance to the beach

BEACH RULES

1. Do not touch, stand on, remove, walk on, or in any way damage the coral. It may look like a rock, but it is a living organism that tourist regularly kill and damage by walking and standing on it.

2. Do not leave trash, straws, cups, wrappers, bottles, cans, boxes or any other foreign objects on the beach. You are responsible for keeping the beach clean.

3. Cigarette and cigar butts are TRASH.( see rule 2) . I often see people remove cans and bottles, but leave cigarette buts in the sand for some child to come along with a pail and shovel to play in trash, please remove them.

4. If you must play music without a headset, please keep the volume at a reasonable level. Not everyone shares the same tastes in music, and many enjoy the sound of the waves over some rap song.

5. If you decide to dig a big hole in the sand then fill it when you leave so that it is not a trip and fall hazard

6. It is perfectly fine to enjoy alcohol at the beach, but restrict your consumption so that you are not inebriated and causing a scene

7. Playing catch on the beach or in the water is fine, but find an area where you aren't going to hit someone with a ball

8 Be considerate if you are shaking sand of your towel or blanket or spraying sun screen. No one enjoys a face full of sandor unwated spray.

9 Iguanas, feral cats, and ducks no mater how cute should not be fed. Feeding them is not healthy for them, and makes them aggressive with humans.

10. Do not feed fish dog biscuits or bread it is best to leave nature alone
osted this on a different forum some time ago but posting this in villas and beach entrances might help the clueless,
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

In regard to No 3 Beach Rules in previous post. It is now illegal to smoke on the beach.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I think I would rather hear music than the loud tipsy conversation we had next to us last Spring at Francis Bay!
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

Love Cinnamon, go all the way to the right end of the beach, you have your privacy and your own beach! Plus, can't beat a fresh water shower before leaving.... That's my hike on St John!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Iheartstj-
I think you missed my point with the whole thing. It was a hypothetical kind of remark, with the assumption that most folks on this board weren't so rude as to act with such brash ignorance and disrespect anywhere. FYI- I'd like to think that I'm as good a neighbor as Mr. Rogers.
Sorry for the confusion if there was any.
Smiles -
MJ
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

Mahojim,

I didn't miss your point. It was your comment about saving the loud music for the villa that concerned me. Because of the topography of the island, it may appear that your rental house is the only one around. What a lot of people don't realize is that there are other houses close by and sound travels like crazy in these hills.
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Mahojim,

It is all about being respectful to everything. That is what most of us bring to
St. John. Just wish everyone knew that.
Beach Creecher
spindrift

Post by spindrift »

by RickG » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:32 pm
“Happens to us on most visits to Cinnamon Bay, add frisbee and football games going on over our heads as well. Very much rude Jersey Beach (the third-rail of beach analogies) behavior.”

Add to that mix some rather inebriated folks trying to throw a boomerang back and forth on another beach… so for safety reasons, we just packed up and moved on… :roll:

Isn’t there a noise (music) curfew of 11:00 p.m.? I guess it’s nearly impossible to enforce…to bad, though.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

iheartsj wrote:Mahojim,

I didn't miss your point. It was your comment about saving the loud music for the villa that concerned me. Because of the topography of the island, it may appear that your rental house is the only one around. What a lot of people don't realize is that there are other houses close by and sound travels like crazy in these hills.
Pretty sure you interjected the "blasting music until 3am while yelling in the pool" - Jim didn't say anything about that. His point - unless I'm totally obtuse - is that perhaps it might be more appropriate to have music playing at your villa rather than at the beach DURING THE DAY, which is completely appropriate and acceptable if its not.....turned to 11!