Must try restaurants???

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Must try restaurants???

Post by northerngal »

We are headed that way SOON!!!! It seems like restaurants come and go on St. John so where should we not miss this trip? We are staying in Coral Bay so we always hit Skinny's (yea I know) but love the laid back feeling! Shipwrecks, Caribbean Oasis but have yet to find THE place in Cruz bay. We aren't fancy food people so any suggestions???
Lovermont

Re: Must try restaurants???

Post by Lovermont »

I love Oasis for take-outs to bring back to the villa. It's home-cooking without having to shop and cook! Follow their facebook page for their daily menu. http://www.facebook.com/coralbayoasis The portions are huge, so pick a few mains, and some sides, and serve family style. You do not need a main course for everyone in your party.
Also, the old Donkey Diner just re-opened, and I believe it's called the Indigo Grill, run by the Rhumblines crew. Don't know anything about it though.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

I LOVE Oasis too! We ate there so much last time I felt guilty waiting for the menu to post on line so I could decide my supper for the day!
rays&rum13

Post by rays&rum13 »

My husband and I love Joes Rum Hut, they have a great happy hour, the food is delicious and huge portions. Another favorite was Fish Tales, delicious sea food! If you like BBQ uncle joes is the place to go. Hope that helps :)
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Have you tried Banana Deck ? Good food, friendly staff and reasonable prices with a view.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

We haven't tried Joes Rum Hut or Banana Deck. I'm assuming they are both in Cruz Bay? sounds like we need to check them out!
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Both in Cruz Bay - Joe's Rum Hut is on the beach next to Beach Bar and Banana Deck is just behind Beach Bar and across the street. Have fun !
RickG

Post by RickG »

Indigo Grill, former Donkey Diner, is on our list for January. EagleRayLover & Augie went there last night and reported good things on Facebook. We love Cruz Bay Landing and De Coal Pot in Cruz Bay, two newer offerings.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
gmanka

Post by gmanka »

I am a big fan of Rhumb Lines. The Ultimate Pad Thai will leave you sweating from the spice and is great. Also endorse the Banana Deck and Joe's. The Happy Hour at Joe's features $3 drinks. Dangerous after a day at the beach. Lastly for modestly priced Mexican, Margarita's Phils. Large drinks and portions for a modest price. I tend to shy away from the "upper" end places as have been generally disappointed by the price considering the fare.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

How do you see it on Facebook? I was searching there but no luck!
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

The new restaurant in Coral Bay, Indigo, has only been open a few days but is getting rave reviews. I had the pizza. It was marvelous.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Was looking for reviews on that place but have not seen anything....where can I read these?
augie

Post by augie »

Indigo Grill is so new that you may not see any formal reviews for the place just yet. They are still getting their feet wet, but our first impressions were very favorable.

Nice casual atmosphere, and a (for now) limited menu, but everything we had was very good. You can get pizza to go or at the bar. Since the place was new they let ERL order one from the table and it was excellent. I had a chicken (blackened or grilled), bacon, avocado sandwich which came with fries and it rocked also!

My son and I split an order of Island Zing dry rubbed wings for an app and I liked them very much!

There is inside and al fresco seating or you can sit at the bar outside (I didn't notice if there was seating at the bar inside or if it was for service only).

A good addition to the Coral Bay "family"!
Come see us!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We go to Cafe Roma, Rhumb Lines, and Banana Deck at least twice each per trip. Some of my favorite food in the world is served at those 3 restaurants.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I have had some very good meals at the Banana Deck and High Tide. Great apps and pizza at Joe's Rum Hut but haven't had dinner there YET. I have had a few awesome breakfasts at Cruz Bay Landing but haven't tried dinner there YET either.