Need a Jeep Rental-pre trip report-final!

Travel discussion for St. John
mahojim

Need a Jeep Rental-pre trip report-final!

Post by mahojim »

Ok, well we're just over 2 months out, and I'm poking around for a Jeep.
The last company we used on STJ was St. John Car Rental, and we're thinking about using them again. We got into a good routine renting from Dependable on STT for a while, but we're staying in Cruz Bay the day/night before our official week long trip in Coral Bay, so seems smarter to just rent on STJ.
Anyone have other suggestions? The companies that I've seen are all roughly @ $450/week.
New question-
I'm relatively sure that most people travel from Saturday to Saturday. That said, how difficult do yous guys think it'll be to rent a Jeep from Sunday to Sunday? Bad idea?
Thanks, and always
Smiles-
MJ
Last edited by mahojim on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
KidLiggy

Re: Need a Jeep Rental

Post by KidLiggy »

Jim - we were pleased with Bougainvillea (Donald Schnell) last trip. Easy to work with coming and going, nice to have a parking spot if you need it (hop-skip to Quiet Mon/Woody's). They seem to be in the same price range. I plan on using them for our next trip. Happy planning.
KidLiggy

Post by KidLiggy »

Webiste is http://www.stjohnjeeps.com/ by the way.... :D
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We've been happy with St John Car Rental.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

TheBeatyBunch

Post by TheBeatyBunch »

We always use St. John Car Rental. We like being able to park in their lot when we aren't using the Jeep.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Jim,
Don't wait too long, we booked our April trip a little more than 2 months out and many car places were sold out. I know you are coming right after me.
Torpnubber

Post by Torpnubber »

We also have used Bougainvillea the past two years and couldn't be happier with the service.

The Jeeps are always newer, clean and in good mechanical shape.
They also have locks on the rear tire bracket, unfortunately necessary at this stage.
And they advertise and support the forum
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I highly recommend Mr. Pipers Jeeps!!! (used to be Paris Car Rental) When we returned our Jeep in December he met us in town at the dock so we didn't even have to go to their location! Also, I found a little sand in the back, and I said oh, so sorry missed that sand. He said, no problem, you are on an island with sand, how can you prevent that!!!! At check-in they gave my hubby a free Mr. Pipers t-shirt also!! They are so friendly and warm and enjoy their business!
https://rentajeepstjohn.com/
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We just reserved ours thru Mr Pipers..our villa company suggested them and said all were new vehicles. Also we needed somewhere that would rent to my son since he has no CC only a debit, and I thought the rates were right on par with others :) We have also used Conrad's and Bougainvillea in the past a cpl times each with no issues from either..
[/url]
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

This past October we rented our Jeep from Amalie Car Rental on STT. Super great folks to work with. They meet you at the airport, then a quick trip (about ¼ mi) from the airport to sign papers, then on your way. We had checked bags, so the drive (me) picked up the jeep – came back to the airport – loaded all the bags – we were on our way.

Worried about breaking down on STJ ? Don’t, they have service on both STT and STJ.

Here is the best part – when you get ready to leave, they meet you at the airport. Unload your bags, hand the keys over, do a quick walk around – DONE!
I would use them again. I like renting wheels on STT because I hit the K-Mart in town for booze and the Food Center (just past Red Hook) to load up on any food we need.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

I have always had a good experience with all the above...but then I have LOW expectations....I did like the year we got a Budget Jeep at the airport and it had 1220 miles on it.

But then I'd go after Moby Dick in a row boat and take the tarter sauce with me
mahojim

Re: Need a Jeep Rental- new question

Post by mahojim »

Bump-!
GratefulDad

Post by GratefulDad »

I'm renting Sunday to Sunday in April from Conrad Sutton.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Do you have a pleasant history with his company?
MJ
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

I have only rented once Saturday to Saturday. The other 13 trips have not been and no one has ever had an issue. They either have a vehicle for your dates or they don't. We have rented twice from Sutton and it was fine. We have also used Varlack, Penn's, Cool Breeze and Lionel. All good. I place a premium on convenience and available parking in lot so they may not be the cheapest places.