Baggage Fee at Red Hook

Travel discussion for St. John
Patty

Baggage Fee at Red Hook

Post by Patty »

Is it mandatory that you pay a fee for each bag you take on the ferry? I just read on another travel forum that you could walk your bag onto the ferry and avoid paying the fee. I am under the impression that you were supposed to pay the fee.
david@va.beach

Re: Baggage Fee at Red Hook

Post by david@va.beach »

a backpack is ok but suitcases and such are charged----tipping is optional..
lprof

Post by lprof »

We have always paid a fee for "suitcases", including the typical carry-on sized, but not including backpacks, briefcases, tote bags, or purses, which we held. In February, the fee was paid inclusive of the rider's fee and there was no separate tag to tie onto the "checked" bag. As you board the ferry the bags are given to the crew and retrieved on the dock.
... no longer a stranger to paradise
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Several years ago there was a thread on this forum that said that tipping was prohibited by the agreement that the ferry companies had with the VI government. Is that still true?

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

lprof

Post by lprof »

Ha... never thought about that; my husband always tips and it has not been refused... certainly may not be expected.
auntbevie

Post by auntbevie »

gotta respond on this one...last November we traveled with a large group (12) and we had luggage plus musical instruments. My husband had his hands full and didn't tip as we got on the ferry, a few minutes later one of the handlers came up top and demanded a tip...not a good way to start our vacation. We felt like it was hostage money and gave tip money then. We had planned to tip when we picked up our luggage on St John like we always have done in the past...but grabbed our instruments, luggage and went on our happy way. They could have gotten more from the group but greed cost them this time.
kklay

Post by kklay »

It was my understanding that a few years ago the fee structure was changed so that you paid for your bags when you purchased your ticket. I thought this was to take the place of "tipping", which not everyone did. We no longer take the people ferry and rent our vehicle on St. Thomas. I find it much less stressful and am on island time sooner. Perhaps Pia or St. John Julie can answer about the fee structure?
lprof

Post by lprof »

Current one-way ticket fees (as In February) are $7 non-resident adult and $4 per luggage piece.
nuendelcapecod

Post by nuendelcapecod »

Our experience in March of this year is that we paid $4 apiece for our large bags which we walked on and they also took and stored our carryon size bags. We kept our backpacks and we did not tip. $4 per bag to me is excessive so we figured it must include a tip. We were not pressured.