Where is everyone?

Travel discussion for St. John
northerngal

Where is everyone?

Post by northerngal »

Boy it seems like this site has slowed down. Where did everyone go? This is my life line through winter!
loria

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by loria »

not in St john! but soon come!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Sadly most people have moved on to Facebook and any new blood is on trip advisor. Look at my joke thread on the off-topic forum in the heyday you would get 1000- 2000 views a week now that is a months volumes.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Interesting that when you do a sort of the topics by number of views it yields 195 posts with greater than 10,000 views, but only 5 of them were started in 2010 or later.

Some might recall that things got politically unpleasant here and off topic in 2008 and that might have chased some away, but things settled down significantly after corrective actions were taken by the site moderators, so most likely its due more to the explosive growth of other social media options and platforms.

Also when this question was posted in the past, some mentioned that in their view this site had became somewhat clique-ish, and perhaps that had the effect of chasing away some that felt that way and/or appearing unwelcoming to newbies, but, maybe that observation also chased some long time STJ experts/frequent contributors away to other platforms where they weren't viewed in a negative light.

Perhaps all of the above (and more) is just part of the natural social media evolutionary process. I do miss the old days sometimes when the experts/long timers interacted with STJ newbies. Where do newbies go now? Tripadvisor?
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

I am still here. I try to do a drive by at least once a day to check in on how each of you are doing and/or to live vicariously through whomever is traveling/just got back.

Since we purchased the house in the BVI we tend to spend more time on the BVI intensive sites. But for some reason (I am looking at all of you) I gravitate back to this page. I agree that the evolution of social media has probably taken most to FB where they can find one stop shopping for all their interests.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I don't think the decline in participation is unique to this forum. In general, all forum participation is down across the internet. I see it on the food forums I participate in too. Many people allege that the forum method of communication is pretty much dead.

I think two things are happening: as others have said, some are gravitating to facebook for a more immediate/interactive experience. Some have chosen to stop participating in forums and social media in general as a way of reclaiming privacy and time.

Speaking just for me, I have not been around as much because I don't have another trip planned until June. We usually come down in February but have decided to take my niece and nephew back to Disney in April instead. I still stop by regularly and read what people have to say. I do miss the many trip reports and photos that used to be posted here, but so it goes.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

I really miss hearing about everyone's upcoming trips and trip reports and all the info that is shared on this forum. I like to read about it even if I don't have a trip planned YET.......
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Cliquish is a good term. The questions, comments and trip reports that get the most responses were submitted by those who sit at the cool kids' table.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

This question has come up from time to time for the last few years - I can't disagree with any of the comments and reasons given by anyone for why it is slower here. It is what it is - maybe we could have done things differently here or there over the years (decades!), but - there is still a community here and a base of you that come by almost every day - and that is still pretty cool to me. Facebook, TripAdvisor, etc. - there are a lot of different things to do online and ways to do them - but while this place maybe isn't as busy as it once was, I still think it is pretty cool that is visited by so many VI loving maniacs! I thank all of you again and wish everyone a happy holiday season wherever you are!!!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
hawksnestbay

Post by hawksnestbay »

Thank you, Anthony, for everything this forum has provided. Hope you have a Peaceful and Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and much happiness & prosperity in the future. The best is always yet to come.
scotties

Post by scotties »

We tune in to the forum all the time. We don't have a trip planned right now :cry: We have and do use the forum as a very good way to keep up with happenings and to learn "tips" for our next trip. We hope to be setting up our 6th trip in 2016. So far we have visited in 5 different months (January, May, June, July, November) and tend to enjoy the summer months more(less crowded, sunlight is longer, and it used to be that prices were more to our liking. Would like to hear if others have a favorite time of the year to go. (Obviously anytime is great once you are there)
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We're here too, checking in every cpl days or so...I think to its just a busy time of yr for everyone..No trip planned for us next yr..( yet) have a cpl cruises booked with Family and Hubby started a new job, after a lay off and heart attack...all is finally settling down..so who knows...I am feeling the itch to book for Halloween once again.. :D
[/url]
fromaway74

Post by fromaway74 »

I see more activity on the Trip Advisor forum but still check in on this one fairly regularly. I also look at travel talk online for the BVI forum. Are there other forums for the BVI?
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

I found this site as a newbie 7 or 8 years ago and learned so much! I love the Facebook updates, but drop in here regularly just to see what is going on and feed my yearning for St. John! When I have a trip plan it's daily, but when I don't it is when I have time. No trip in sight right now and it has been 14 months - too long! I appreciate the site, Anthony, and all of you who have given me advice over the years! NEED A TRIP SOON! Merry Christmas to all!
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

Fromaway74
where is the Trip Advisor forum? I haven't seen that one. I do love this one though!!!