I still pop in from time to time. No trip on the horizon.... :(
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
fromaway74

Where is everyone?

Post by fromaway74 »

Northern Gal:
On Trip Advisor, navigate first to St John overview. From there you should see an option to select the Forum as you would Hotels, Restaurants, Activities, etc.
This is true either for the app or full web site. Go to the location first and then you will see the link to the forum.
inuny

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by inuny »

Scottish,

Summer is also my favorite time of year on St. John for the reasons you mentioned- long days, less crowded. We just got back sat night - I thought the island was pretty busy. Last year we went the first week of October- a lot of restaurants were closed but the beaches were empty and the water was so warm
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

Well since someone asked the question........This is my opinion and my opinion only.

There were several "characters" including myself, that carried over from the original AOL Message Forum. Unintentionally we became the main traffic draw to this site. We had fun carrying on with each other, but first and foremost we ALL did our best to answer questions and provide information to those passing thru. Many continued to hang around to see and many participated in the show daily, thus keeping traffic up and making more ad revenue for the site owners.

Over time we began to actually meet up on St. John, usually on Sunday's and with the help of an island business owner. The result was many of us became friends. The downside was that a few participants happened to be island residents that also owned businesses. Most did not intentionally try to get business for themselves via Anthony's web site. But all along someone would come along, and in conflict with a money making venture, would try to use the site to their gain, sometimes in conflict with a competing Advertiser (who paid to exist on the site but did not participate in the Forum). And that eventually ruined it for all. The locals went away, then the characters, and then the traffic.

Bandit
RickG

Post by RickG »

Bandit, good to see you about.

I still try and stop in and see who's about. A lot of the frequent flyers still try and meet up on island around Halloween. Facebook has been a factor. But, for me, when Anthony upgraded the forum software in 2006 it enabled interactions that worked in a way that Facebook does not. Really, it was the people that made it happen. We still run into those folks every time we visit.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Ya, back in the day, this forum had some dust ups, but it was mostly fun and games. But, I think that made it more interesting.

Marsh and I have moved on to different vacation destinations. STJ just became too too for us. For us, it lost it's vibe. It's a big world. We are exploring.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
gobucs

Post by gobucs »

Im still here, Lurking but still here :P