Day trip to Tortola

Travel discussion for St. John
msfcambridge

Day trip to Tortola

Post by msfcambridge »

On our next trip in June we are looking to do a day trip to Tortola. What are the pros and cons? I've heard that it's a hassle due to customs. What are the issues and what should we know?
equineannie

Re: Day trip to Tortola

Post by equineannie »

Did it a lot when I lived there. Customs is no issue. Just have your passport ready and it should be a breeze. When you return to St John, the same. You have 1 form to complete and they will give it to you at the ferry dock before you leave.

Tortola is nice....if you want a Jeep for the day, rent from Denzil Cline. He is also on St John, I have rented from him since 1995.
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

Thank you!
bill

Post by bill »

Check out smugglers cove. A very pretty beach. It was our favorite when we stayed on Tortola.

Be prepared. Driving is crazy. Lots of steep hills.

Have fun exploring!
bill

Post by bill »

Sorry , also want to mention you can get some great Roti's in Road Town. Makes for a yummy lunch !
vacationpants

Post by vacationpants »

how do you recommend getting from STJ to Tortola for the day?
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

You can get from the STJ ferry dock (Cruz Bay) to Tortola (West End) 3 times daily.

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_ ... ortola.htm

From West End, you can taxi or rent a car and explore the island. Enjoy!

Don't forget your passports!
vacationpants

Post by vacationpants »

Thank you for the ferry information, what do you recommend to do on Tortola for the day? I was looking at Cane Garden Bay or there is smugglers cove. We would just like to experience another island and beautiful beaches, not really into shopping.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Tortola is different from St John and indeed a fun island to explore also. My favorite lounging beach is Smugglers. Grab a picnic lunch and set up for some beach/snorkeling time. After lunch, head to Cane Garden Bay, along the way you can check out many fun spots. Tropical Fusion, Sebastian's, Bomba's, Sugar Mill (has a bar on the water that offers a tasty lunch with views of Jost), and Carrot Bay has a new place to eat. Stoudts (green and yellow) is at the top of a hill and has views that go on for miles. Bananakeet (Heritage Inn) is a great stop on the way back to the ferry as they have a fun cocktail hour and sunsets. Fish and Lime, down from the ferry dock is a great place to pass time as you wait for your ferry back to St John. Sopers Hole is fun too, walk around the marina. Sorry for the major run on sentence on top of run on sentence.

We have also explored Brewers Bay, nice flat beach with decent snorkeling, a beach bar, and some ruins to explore. We have had some of the best times, jumping in the rental and driving around the island.
msfcambridge

Post by msfcambridge »

Great info thanks for all the replies!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

I would recommend a drive along Tortola's North Shore, from Long Bay, past Apple and Great Carrot Bay, to Cane Garden (or even Brewer's Bay, if you have time). You'll have lots of options for meals on the way out and back. The drive is reminiscent of the North Shore road on St. John, except that the hills between the last few bays are a lot higher and steeper than on St. John. The road is in great shape, but do be sure to use low gear when going downhill; a friend driving the car in front of us neglected to do this, and had a real issue with brake fading (and smelling). Enjoy!

All the best,

Kevin