Getting thru customs w/o passport or birth certificate?

Travel discussion for St. John
Gronk1551

Getting thru customs w/o passport or birth certificate?

Post by Gronk1551 »

Is it possible to get thru customs coming back to the mainland US at the St. Thomas airport from the US Virgin Islands if all you have is a driver license and no birth certificate or passport?

Traveling to STJ later this week with my girlfriend who doesn't have a current passport or her certified birth certificate, but has her state driver's license. I've read online mixed things on the need for birth certificate as a requirement to get thru customs with your license if you don't have a passport.

We will be staying in the USVI's and not going to BVI's.
Exit Zero

Re: Getting thru customs w/o passport or birth certificate?

Post by Exit Zero »

It may be no problem, it may involve a short interview, bring any other ID she can muster, an expired passport, voter ID, non-certified birth certificate, police report, note from her mother[kidding].
If she is a US citizen she can likely convince C&I officials with a few answered questions if interviewed.
She will not be able to visit the BVI as you know.
samoka

Post by samoka »

I went through customs Feb 28th with just a license.
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

I forgot my passport once but had it overnighted to me, while waiting many people told me a license and voter ID would work fine.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

Chas

Post by Chas »

Here is what we advise our guests:

You will need to clear US Customs on St. Thomas when you depart (having a passport, while not necessary, will facilitate the process and you will need a passport anyway should you wish to visit the nearby British Virgin Islands such as Tortola or Virgin Gorda).While US government regulations do not require a US passport for travel to or from the US Virgin Islands, we recommend you bring a passport (or a certified copy of your birth certificate and, for anyone 18 or older, a driver's license or other government identification with a photograph):

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... erritories