9 Days on STJ...Coral Bay, The Swell and Hansen

Travel discussion for St. John
ClevelandDave

9 Days on STJ...Coral Bay, The Swell and Hansen

Post by ClevelandDave »

Just wrapped-up 9 days in Coral Bay with my two young adult kids. Great time!
Stayed at Blue Bay View near the top of 108. Great place, great value, awesome airplane views.

Hit the north shore beach favs early since cruisers were scheduled to flock starting Tues. Glad we did cause a nasty swell hit Tues and they wound up closing the whole north shore for the rest of the week.

Discovered Hansen on Wed and hit it the last three days of our stay. Great little set-up and Thalia n Dunia are pretty cool hosts. $2.50 a head, but so what. Good snorkeling and no swell.

Vie's beach is chained-up...no access except by water. Too bad.

Skinny's for burgers and $6 Painkillers (best deal in CB); Indigo for dinner twice - yum; Breakfast at both Pickles and TripleB, excellent; Dinner twice at Oasis (underwhelmed); De Coal Pot for West Indian (yum) and Hercules for pate & johnny cakes - ferry food.

Can't wait to plan the next visit.
chicagoans

Re: 9 Days on STJ...Coral Bay, The Swell and Hansen

Post by chicagoans »

Glad you had a great trip! I'll check out the villa; I always stay on the Coral Bay side and like hearing about villas I don't know.

Sorry to hear about Vie's beach. Didn't know there was another way to get to a beach at Hansen - where did you park?

Thanks for the scoops!
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

They park you right on their beach property or across the street.

Blue Bay View is listed on VRBO as #619573. It is outstanding
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Sounds like a great 9 days. Making memories on St. John with your adult kids, sounds awesome.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

Question about Thalia and Dunia's spot....how do you get there exactly? Is it before/after Vie's?

How is that beach as far as friendly for families? Our kids are 9/6/1.5.

Would definitely want a non-North Shore option in the event that the swells pick up and Salt Pond is a little bit of a hike with an 18 month old.
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Hansen is just past Vie's. Watch for the sign, but its hard to miss.

The beach is rocky on the left, but sandier on the right. Fairly shallow up close. No appreciable wave action. Check for urchins before you send the kids out.

Its the most accessible beach I've seen on STJ. Not even a road to cross.
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

ClevelandDave wrote:Hansen is just past Vie's. Watch for the sign, but its hard to miss.

The beach is rocky on the left, but sandier on the right. Fairly shallow up close. No appreciable wave action. Check for urchins before you send the kids out.

Its the most accessible beach I've seen on STJ. Not even a road to cross.
Right on - thanks for the info. Think I'll try and hit it on Sunday for the cookout and for Angel Rest, which the google machine told me comes around then.