America Hill Hike, Ruins, & View

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

America Hill Hike, Ruins, & View

Post by Coconuts »

It was only this year that I finally got around to hiking up to the ruins on America Hill. If anyone reading this hasn't yet done so, it belongs on your to-do list. This is a pretty short hike, albeit steep at the beginning, and delivers a spectacular view from beside the ruin out over Maho and Francis Bays and Mary Point, as well as a great view of most of Tortola. You start at the Cinnamon Bay Trail sign on the North Shore Road just at the left of the ruins across the street from the campground. This is different from the Cinnamon Bay self-guiding loop trail, which is directly behind the ruins. The Cinnamon Bay Trail heads up to Centerline, but you take a well marked left after 0.12 miles (shortly after the steep part and then a gut). The hike from there on up consists of a gentle series of switchbacks up to America Hill, through groves of aromatic Bay Rum trees. Here are some photos from the top:
America Hill #1
America Hill #1
America Hill #2
America Hill #2
America Hill Ruins
America Hill Ruins
The summit is a bit overgrown, so it isn't immediately obvious where to go, but find your way to the ruin, where the view is from its left-hand side. You should under no circumstances try to go in the ruin, as it is unstable.

You can see the ruins from most of the length of Maho Bay beach, although it blends in, and was only obvious once I knew where to look.

All the best,

Kevin
hoosierdaddy

Re: America Hill Hike, Ruins, & View

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Thanks for the post. This looks like what my 16 year old daughter is interested in doing. We are just 62 days away!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Great shots, Kevin!

I've been wanting to do that hike but haven't had a chance in recent years because of having small kiddos with us on STJ. Maybe this year!
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thanks Kevin,

that is one hike we have never done either. Looks beautiful will have to put on our to do list. Pictures were great
Chardonnay

Post by Chardonnay »

Every year my husband looks up from Maho Bay and says "I want to hike up to that ruin way up there". We all laugh. It wasn't until recently we heard there was a trail! It will be on our list for this year!
joshua

Post by joshua »

Heading there this week, will add that hike to my list.
Thanks for the information!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We just did this hike a few weeks ago. We continued on to where it ends on Centerline Rd. Turning right, we walked close to half a mile to the VINP sign where you can walk in and see the Catherineberg ruins. Beautiful! Then we walked down John Head Rd. back down to North Shore Rd. There is a monster of a house being built on John Head Rd. It's an easier walk back down especially on days that the trail has had recent rain, like that day. About 4 miles total!
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I think we will include this in a Cinnamon Bay Day.
1. Rent kayaks at Cinnamon Bay and go to Whistling Cay and back.
2. Chill at the beach and have lunch at the Raintree Cafe.
3. Hike to American Hill.
4. Relax on the beach again.
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thanks, Kevin!
We will be back on island the end of April. This looks like a great place to use our new camera that we will be breaking in... I hadn't heard of this hike before, sounds great!
Sue