St. John as a solo female

Travel discussion for St. John
sasky

St. John as a solo female

Post by sasky »

My husband is going to the Super Bowl and in return I'm getting a few days to myself on St. John. Personally I think I'm getting the better end of the deal. I'll be leaving him at home with our 4 young kids to replenish myself on the island.

This would be my 6th visit so I'm familiar with St. John, but first time solo. I'm a 30-something year old female and I've never traveled alone, other than for work. Will be staying close to Cruz Bay and renting a car. Despite having been there several times I have never actually driven on island so I am nervous about that!

Any thoughts on hiking solo? (I know there was a terrible and rare case of violence on a solo female on a trail a couple of years ago, so that is in the back of my mind.)

I don't have a packed itinerary by any means, just to hit every beach I can, snorkel, and unwind.

Other thoughts/tips/suggestions?
Last edited by sasky on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
papabou

Re: St. John as a solo female

Post by papabou »

sasky,

as a frequent visitor to stj and constant viewer of this and ta chat boards, i have 2 suggestions. first, if you do come as a single, DO NOT POST when you are coming, where you are staying, or plans while you are on island. to do so would invite predators.

second while you can no doubt have a great (and safe) solo trip, why don't you invite a friend. assuming accommodations allow a 2nd person, you are already paying for 2 of 3 top expenses for the trip: lodging and car. invite a friend to join you at your treat on those items so friend would only have plane fare and food which can be thrifty or $$$$$. looks like you are in boston, this am delta has march rt fares thru jfk for under $400 if you fly other than f/s/s. perhaps jet blue too has some decent fares.

just thoughts from father/grandfather of 2 very adventuresome daugthers in late 40's and gdaughters late teens.

protective papabou
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

You will be fine! I have traveled to SE Asia,throughout the Caribbean and into French Polynesia by myself. All were wonderful journeys and I was so glad I did so. Just be cautious as you would at home. When solo hiking go through the Park Service office first and just let them know your plans. They may also have some others hiking that you can join. Enjoy! As much as I love my friends, I find that as I age I enjoy my solitude more and more.
Kevino

Post by Kevino »

Ditto Papabou!
sasky

Post by sasky »

papabou wrote:sasky,

as a frequent visitor to stj and constant viewer of this and ta chat boards, i have 2 suggestions. first, if you do come as a single, DO NOT POST when you are coming, where you are staying, or plans while you are on island. to do so would invite predators.

second while you can no doubt have a great (and safe) solo trip, why don't you invite a friend. assuming accommodations allow a 2nd person, you are already paying for 2 of 3 top expenses for the trip: lodging and car. invite a friend to join you at your treat on those items so friend would only have plane fare and food which can be thrifty or $$$$$. looks like you are in boston, this am delta has march rt fares thru jfk for under $400 if you fly other than f/s/s. perhaps jet blue too has some decent fares.

just thoughts from father/grandfather of 2 very adventuresome daugthers in late 40's and gdaughters late teens.

protective papabou
Thanks for this. Great reminder with the first tip papabou. Have you been talking to my mom? [emoji6] Seriously though, always good to be vigilant.

In terms of taking a friend, the solitude is actually what I was seeking with this trip. But I will sit with that idea a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ColoradoMom

Post by ColoradoMom »

You will LOVE it!
I did! Had to visit some... difficult... relatives on the East Coast and figured what the heck I would be "half way" there to my favorite place. Brought my tent, rented a scooter (shhhhh don't tell all the people who say it is waaaayyyy tooo dangerous so if I can rent a scooter you can drive!!:). Spent a week hiking, swimming, reading, zooming all over. Missed my husband and sons some but wow was it a SUPER fun adventure.
You will meet lots of people!
You might get a little lonely at one point because it is always fun to share great experiences but you will get over that in a big big hurry!!

As for hiking safety:
Think about going on the more-traveled hikes (say Ram's Head vs. Brown Bay) and consider going at "normal" times (not 6 AM maybe).

I'd say the most troublesome thing I experienced was deciding hmmmmmm where to next and getting a sore face from smiling so much!

Best wishes for a great trip!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

FWIW, one of our daughters spent a month on St. John, tent camping at Cinnamon Bay and up on an undeveloped property of ours on Mamie Peak, and she routinely used hitching to get around. She was totally cool with it, and more remarkably, both I and my wife were as well. That's not to say that St. John is trouble-free, and that you shouldn't be situationally aware, but it really is a pretty safe and mellow place.

All the best,

Kevin
sasky

Post by sasky »

Coconuts wrote:FWIW, one of our daughters spent a month on St. John, tent camping at Cinnamon Bay and up on an undeveloped property of ours on Mamie Peak, and she routinely used hitching to get around. She was totally cool with it, and more remarkably, both I and my wife were as well. That's not to say that St. John is trouble-free, and that you shouldn't be situationally aware, but it really is a pretty safe and mellow place.

All the best,

Kevin
I considered this as well rather than renting a car. My husband and I occasionally pick up hitch hikers while on island. But hitching myself might be a little too far outside my comfort zone (and my husband's in this case!), but it's still an outside option.

That's awesome for your daughter. I plan to encourage my kids to take such adventures as they get older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lark22

Post by lark22 »

I'm jealous! Sounds like a lovely trip. I don't have any advice about the hiking, etc., but re: the driving, I had the same experience -- for 5 or 6 trips, I had never gotten behind the wheel (husband loves driving on STJ and I was totally fine with sitting and enjoying the view!) But a few trips ago, I started doing some of the driving -- I was nervous at first as well, but I took to it immediately. Trust me, it's fun and even relaxing! I'm a fan 8)

Have a great trip!! Looking forward to your trip report (safely after you get home, just like your mom would want :P )