Morgan's Mango

Travel discussion for St. John
liamsaunt

Morgan's Mango

Post by liamsaunt »

Has anyone been recently? I have not eaten there in at least five years, maybe longer. The last time we went we had a not-so-great experience, but that was a long time ago. The current menu looks pretty appealing, and I have four more dinner slots to fill in. Any feedback much appreciated!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
GraysonDave

Re: Morgan's Mango

Post by GraysonDave »

We went there in January. I had the panko encrusted grouper. It was very good. I try not to nitpick on pricing and just enjoy the food and experience where ever I am, but $40 was pushing it as far as value. In my opinion anyway.

That being said, I'm a simple man and enjoy well prepared fish and chips at $12 every bit as much as a $40 piece of grouper. So maybe I'm not a good critic.

The takeaway, it was good but not remarkable. They do make a great bushwacker though!
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

We were there the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. of last year and thought the food was quite good. We do though during lobster night which we thought was worth it. I actually wrote a review of it here:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... lands.html
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Morgan's Mango used to be one of our must go-to spots, but like you, we haven't been there for years now. Come to think of it, I think we were last there in 2008? We used to love it but then we had multiple negative experiences in a row and stopped going there. I might be willing to give it a try again all these years later, but I have my other favorites on island so I'm not sure.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Morgan's Mango holds a special place in my heart. When my wife and I took our first nice vacation we went to St. Thomas. One night we took the people ferry over to St. John and ate at Morgan's Mango. It was one of those magical evenings. We were young and it was such a new experience for us. The food was delicious and the atmosphere was unlike anything I had experience at that time. I can think back to that night and remember exactly how it felt. It is one of the reasons we fell in love with St. John.
jan

Post by jan »

We had an awful experience at Morgans Mango this past fall and will never go back again.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Mixed reports from my forum friends! Hmmm...maybe I will hold off for now. We already have a bunch of reservations and plans. I might do Longboard again or that Umami place instead. One thing is for sure: I am not cooking this trip!! :lol:
StJohnStyle

Post by StJohnStyle »

Morgan's Mango is great! We live on STJ and always have a good meal there. The lobster is delicious, fish is fresh, and the menu has something for everyone.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I for one love that you are not cooking so we get your wonderful food pics and reviews!
psufan

Post by psufan »

2 thumbs up for Umami, especially for happy hours.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks everyone! We are here now (and the weather is lousy today/this evening which is why I am online instead of outside haha). Morgan's ultimately did not make it into our final meal reservations, but we are back for two weeks this summer, so maybe then...

PS: I was wearing a sweater while walking in Cruz Bay this evening..brr!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

liamsaunt: "PS: I was wearing a sweater while walking in Cruz Bay this evening..brr!"

It sure wasn't you! If you check the air temperature being measured now up at Plumeria (the plot records two full days, so you have time to catch it), the temperature is at the remarkable "I've never seen it this low" level of 68.6 F! Now, at an altitude of 750 feet, our Gifft Hill villas typically are about 4 F cooler than down in town, but this is still new territory. The air temperature plot is at http://www.weather.vi, under the "Recent Weather" tab. If you hover over the plot, you can read the exact temperature and time.

Incidentally, we added a new feature to the site today; what used to be the "North Shore Rough Surf Forecast" is now the "Rough Seas & Surf Forecast", with radio buttons that let you select either info and plots for the North Shore or the South Shore. Enjoy, but button up!

All the best,

Kevin
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Kevin,

Thanks for the post. I had never seen that weather site before. You have the best web cam I have ever seen. Love the video cam and the view. The palm tree blowing in the wind is the best.