Helpful update to www.weather.vi

Travel discussion for St. John
Coconuts

Helpful update to www.weather.vi

Post by Coconuts »

Hello, all. A few months ago, I went diving with Colette of 6-Paq Scuba (www.6paqscuba.com), and I can't say enough good things about her dive operation, which is very personalized, and differentiated from the large-group dive operations. I had originally hoped to dive Eagle Shoals (which is still on my to-do list), but winter swells from the south ruled this out. Our backup dive site was Cow and Calf, over past Great St. James, and that (first time for me) was spectacular, with lots of coral tunnel swim-throughs. Anyhow, on the ride back to Chocolate Hole (where Colette is based), she mentioned my very new (at the time) VI weather site: www.weather.vi. She had some nice comments about the site, but then added a practical suggestion - that I include data from the buoy just south of St. John, which is more relevant to her divers than the North Shore buoy info. I thanked her, and agreed to look into it.

It wasn't easy. The normal NOAA (the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) plots for the south buoy, #41052, make no sense. When you examine the data stream, it is clear that that there is something very wrong with the wave height data. I then contacted NOAA, who informed me that the operation of this buoy is now handled by the Caribbean Integrated Coastal Ocean Observing System (CarICOOS). I was eventually able to access their data stream, which does report wave height at the 41052 buoy south of St. John.

Unlike the buoy north of St. John, which is far enough north (170 nautical miles) to provide eight hours of advance warning, the south buoy is only 4 nautical miles south, and so is essentially real time. With help from my talented web programmer, we were able to integrate the data from the South Shore buoy, and this new addition to the site went live a few hours ago. What used to be the "North Shore Rough Surf Forecast" is now the "Rough Seas & Surf Forecast", clickable from the upper tab bar "Lots of Forecasts". The new section has radio buttons that let you select info and plots for either the North Shore or the South Shore.

Enjoy!

Kevin
www.weather.vi
www.cocoplum.vi
RickG

Re: Helpful update to www.weather.vi

Post by RickG »

Good stuff. There is a hard core gale warning now. I had to dig deep to find that in the marine forecast. All good info. Weather is not easy.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

Kevin ..thanks for the update and fabulous weather site. Hoping for Eagle Shoals on our next trip.
Katie
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

There you go being all likeable again...Thanks

Bigcheeze/Dave
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

Dave - you're so right. We met Kevin (and toured Coconuts - what a view!) in January and he's as charming and brilliant in person as he is online.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Shucks... now I'm blushing! :wink:

Al the best,

Kevin
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

KatieH wrote:Dave - you're so right. We met Kevin (and toured Coconuts - what a view!) in January and he's as charming and brilliant in person as he is online.
Kevin and I have this special Thang since my Booty Call :lol: