Is Iguana Road to LaLepinII treacherous?

Travel discussion for St. John
PatrickMcc

Is Iguana Road to LaLepinII treacherous?

Post by PatrickMcc »

We are considering this Villa for 2018 and I just read some old posts from 2007 about Iguana Road being a treacherous drive. I have driven all over St. John since 1983 and although I won't do Lamshur and I am confident about driving almost anywhere else that is paved.But I wonder if someone can give me an update on that road. Apparently it was not a professional paving and I am wondering if it has deteriorated. I noticed that some regular posters were on that 2007 thread.
Pickle

Re: Is Iguana Road to LaLepinII treacherous?

Post by Pickle »

I hope someone who stayed at Le Lapin II recently will chime in. Our stay was over 10 years ago so I can't help you with the current condition of Iguana Rd.

I remember after the greeter led us to the villa, she told us in an amusing tone that she'd had some guests who freaked out about the road and were screaming "Oh my god!" as they drove up the hill. It certainly was narrow, bumpy and not well paved but we didn't think it was that bad. We quickly got used to it and, as long as we drove slowly, we were fine. With that said, unlike you, we do drive to Lameshur - so our comfort levels with roads on St. John might be different.

If there has been a change to the road, I hope it's an improvement and not deterioration.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I'm not sure, I may have posted on that thread? We stayed at Blue Aweigh in 2007, which is next door to Le Lapin II.

The road was bumpy but it wasn't a big deal. I wouldn't call it treacherous, although it's been 10 years, so who knows. But it wasn't particularly steep, on the edge of a cliff, or scary. It was just really bumpy.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

Thank you Pickle and Teresa Rae. Last night I found an On- St-John Jeep Cam of a ride up Iguana Road to LaLapin. It does look rough and narrow although I know that concrete has excellent traction. My biggest fear would be backing up for an oncoming car but when I show this to my son-in-law he will probably think it looks like fun. I guess On-St.-John has just gone out of business which is to bad- I especially enjoyed their Jeep Cams. I posted on that other forum last night when I got impatient waiting for a reply so I will see if I get any responses from recent visitors there. I will also call Caribbean Villas. They have been very honest with me about past rentals.
Thanks again.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Its steep, narrow and bumpy, like a lot of other options. We like Le Lapin II. It is on top of the hill and parking is flat and the pool area is large. Best feature is the porches with shade. Also important for some, interior stairs for little ones.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

Thanks Rick. Based on the replies here, one on the other forum and a discussion with Caribbean Villas I Have decided I can handle it. Unless someone else in the group objects we will go for this villa.