A greeting from Denmark

Travel discussion for St. John
linne

A greeting from Denmark

Post by linne »

Just a greeting from a non active forum member.

As you perhaps know, Denmark sold the Virgin Islands to USA with the acquisition on 31 March 1917. So about two days there will be a 100 years jubilee celebration. It means that you probably will meet many Danish people just now. Just to warn you! :D

But it also means that there have been written a lot about the islands in the Danish newspaper, and we have seen much in TV about the islands. Last night we saw beautiful pictures from Sct.John, which again brought up memories from our wonderful vacation there 10 years ago. We talked about all the fantastic experiences, we have had, and how much help we have had from this forum, which we still are grateful for.

I don’t know, if anyone still remember me, but I just want to send my best wishes to all of you.

Linne
Agent99

Re: A greeting from Denmark

Post by Agent99 »

Hi linne, I remember you! In fact I think we met once on the beach- I think maybe it was Hawksnest and you were visiting with Augie's wife-she posts here but I cannot remember her screen name. She did (maybe still does) do work with the local animal shelter, I think. I did not realize it was you until after she left so I did not get to meet her. Do you have any memory of that or am getting confused in my old age? I was with my husband and 2 boys and it was a bit crowed that day so we didn't stay long.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Linne: I joined the forum after you were posting, but we are on island now, and added a week to our stay in order to to be here for the Transfer Centennial. The formal celebration on St. John was on Monday, with speeches in Franklin Powell Park during the day, and a block party with some thumping music by Cool Sessions there till late in the night. A visiting daughter with beach on her mind led us to skip the speeches, but catch the block party. We aren't likely to make it over to St. Thomas for the formalities on the actual Transfer Day, but it is a BIG holiday here.

Our daughter was standing in an unusually long line at St. John Scoops the other day, and came back to join us, cone in hand, to report that the people in front of her were "all together", and sounded "Norwegian". I let her know that no, these would all have been Danes, visiting for the Centennial. We are delighted that so many of your countrymen (and women) have taken this opportunity to visit St. John.

We are also so very grateful that Denmark saw fit, back in 1917, to sell these emerald isles to the U.S. At the time (and for many years afterwards), tourism was the last thing on people's minds. The US during World War I (at the time, merely referred to as "The Great War"), was concerned that Germany might use its naval power to take the VI, and then go on to threaten the Panama Canal. I have a personal connection here; remarkably, my father, born in 1895, fought in World I, and was there on the Western Front when the guns fell silent, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. One aimed or stray bullet, and I wouldn't be posting.

Oh, and to pull things forward ~ 90 years, I had (and still have) a great customer in Copenhagen. About ten years ago, I took the principal out to a nice dinner at Sankt Gertruds Kloster (The Cloister of St. Gertrude, a former monastery). We enjoyed the meal, although $400 for dinner with a pigeon entree seemed a bit much (there was wine...). Anyhow, the Cloister was dimly lit, but during our meal, my attention was drawn to an old map on one of the stone walls. I could have sworn that I recognized the pattern... Getting up from the table, and getting a closer look, lo and behold, it was a very old (circa 1700's) map of the VI, with St. John very recognizable. I returned to the table to thank my guest, for the generosity of his forbears in selling us these island jewels. This was after we had discovered the VI and St. John for ourselves, and bought land facing the BVI, but before we purchased our villas.

You really must return some day!

All the best,

Kevin
http://www.cocoplum.vi
http://www.weather.vi
RickG

Post by RickG »

Hi Linne! Happy Centennial!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Good day Linne - I fondly remember your posts from your St. John visit 10 years ago! Can't believe it's been that long ago...any plans for a return trip? So glad you reconnected with the forum.
Best,
Sunflower
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Linne,

I remember you so well. Enjoyed all of your posts. First on your visit to St. John and then in your other trips to wonderful places. Most of all I remember your place in Spain and your lovely home in Denmark. Hope you and your husband and those cute grand children are well. The children must be all grown by now. Would love to hear how you are and what you are doing.
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

I remember you well. I have enjoyed all of your trip reports. Good to hear from you again!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

silverheels wrote:Linne,

I remember you so well. Enjoyed all of your posts. First on your visit to St. John and then in your other trips to wonderful places. Most of all I remember your place in Spain and your lovely home in Denmark. Hope you and your husband and those cute grand children are well. The children must be all grown by now. Would love to hear how you are and what you are doing.
You brought back some great memories are you enjoying your beach house with the grandkids? I thought of you last year when some friends of ours were hiking a trail in northern Spain close to where your summer home is.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I too remember you through your posts. It can't be ten years since your trip! Augie's wife Leslie posts here from time to time under the name EagleRayLover. They now live on St John. Augie and EagleRayLover are among the animal shelter's biggest supporters.

Perhaps you can find the time to return to STJ and give us a new perspective.

Best wishes to you and your family. We thank you for the purchase of these islands.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

That's it! My apologies to Eagle Ray Lover for blanking out on your screen name. I think the trip was in the past 3 or 4 years because ERL and Augie were already living there.
linne

Post by linne »

Thank you for the greetings.

I have written some comments to the Danish ownership of VI, answers to your greetings and told a little about what has happened in our life. But I think that it more belongs to the Off Topic Forum, so if you are interested you will find my topic there.

Linne
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Hi Linne! I remember you and your lovely posts. Thank you for posting about the Centennial - I was not aware of the transfer date.

It's interesting timing: I just booked my flights for next year's 8 Tuff race, and I'm inviting my Danish friend Torben (he lives in the US now) and his wife to join us. They are both runners and have talked about doing the race with us, so I'm hoping to return to STJ with a Dane. :)
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Hi Linne!
Smiles!
MJ
loria

Post by loria »

hey ho Linne!!!!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
sjdck

Post by sjdck »

Hi Linne,
I also remember you from many years ago, what just came to mind was a funny conversation about swim noodles- wasn't that you asking what people were referring to and then finding a picture of a woman riding one with quite a satisfied expression on her face?! I hope someone else shares this memory and that I haven't imagined it! I think we all had a lot of laughs trying to describe what we were talking about!
Nice to hear from you,
Sjdck