On Island report

Travel discussion for St. John
hoosierdaddy

Re: On Island report

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Started the morning with donuts from C and D. We then headed to Huricane Hole for SUP.
We found our own private beach. Image
We had lunch at Miss Lucy's. First time for us. We loved the outdoor seating and enjoyed the food. Image
Smoothies at Columbos. Image
We then headed to Francis and Suped to Maho and back.Image
We finished the day at the Fish Trap. Another first for us and another great meal.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Fun, thanks!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

As I sit here on my balcony at Grand Bay watching the boats come and go I am reminded as to how magical this place can be. There is no way I could be any more relaxed. No troubles no concerns and no worries. Today the sky was clear and the water was flat. I started the day with another run up to Margeret Hill. Wow is it steep. I came down the caneel trail and returned to Cruz Bay along Northshore Road. Image
Image Breakfast was at Jakes and it was delicious.
Last edited by hoosierdaddy on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We spent the day at Honeymoon. The weather was perfect. This was our first time spending time here. It is a wonderful beach. It was busy but that didn't bother us. There were two large catamarans that dropped off snorkelers before noon and then again in the afternoon. They were like a swarm of bees. They came and then were gone. I did snorkel over to Solomon between swarms. The snorkel was great. Lots of fish. Image
We then went to Coconut Coast Studios for the Sunset Cocktail party. It is always nice. We talked with Elaine, drank a glass of champagne, bought a framed tile and watched the sunset. Image We finish the perfect day with a delicious meal at Banana Deck. Image
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Ran to Solomon Bay in the morning with the family. I love the beach in the morning when no one is there. We then stopped at Baked in the Sun where they had a birthday cake waiting in the display shelf for my daughters 17th birthday. She was so surprised. We then went to Truck Bay. Love it there and then stopped by Peace Hill. We walked to Fennis Bay for pictures and then returned to Cruz Bay. For a treat we went to Yogart in Love. Tonight we are eating at De Coal Pot. We have never eaten there nor have I heard much about it on the forum. Should be an adventure. Image
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Love your pictures. Great view!

Your peace hill pictures are really special.

Enjoy your trip.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

Can you say where you are staying I am trying to figure out where the first picture is from- guessing Battery Hill?
Love the pictures.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Loving seeing your pics. Would you report on De Coal Pot and tell us what you had? Have never been but would like to try it this time.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

PatrickMcc wrote:Can you say where you are staying I am trying to figure out where the first picture is from- guessing Battery Hill?
Love the pictures.
We are staying in Grand Bay. We love the closeness to downtown. Being able to walk to our favorite restaurants means a lot to my wife.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Agent99 wrote:Loving seeing your pics. Would you report on De Coal Pot and tell us what you had? Have never been but would like to try it this time.
We were talking with the lady working at Sugarbirds. She said we should try some authentic Caribbean food. She suggested De Coal Pot. We thought why not. We are glad we tried the restaurant but it really wasn't our flavor. My daughter has the curry goat while my wife has veggie delight and I had the stewed ox tail. We ate our food and it was fine but we like the other restaurants we ate at during the week better.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I started the morning with a run to Salomon via the Caneel Spur trail. I love being on the beach alone in the morning. Even if just for a few minutes.Image
We took it slow this morning and left Grand Bay at 11:00. We left with our chairs and a full cooler. Our first stop was the North Shore Deli for sandwiches and dessert bars. I like the crack bar while my wife likes the Jumble. We then hiked to Solomon Bay. The walk is usually easy and takes about 20 minutes. A full cooler can slow you down a bit. Image
We spent 6 hours on the beach. When we first got there I counted 41 people. That may be a record. It thinned out during the afternoon and when we left at 5:45 there were only 5 people remaining. I snorkeled for and hour and saw numerous fish. Image
While on the beach we had a mongoose grab a bag of chips and pulled it into the under brush. They are sneaky. We also shared the beach with this guy. Image
We hiked back via the over look to see the sun set. Image
While waiting we found this guy. Image
Yes that is a lizard on my finger. I think he likes me. He was on me for about ten minutes. The sunset was a perfect ending to a magical week. Image
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thanks for the feedback on Da Coal Pot. I am stunned to hear that there were 41 people on Soloman. I don't think I have ever seen more than 5! Did you walk from Grande Bay or drive and park somewhere? If there is a spot at the trailhead we'll grab it but if not we would head to another beach. I guess it's not a secret anymore!

And thanks for the on island report! Reentry is not easy! Be well!
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Agent99 wrote:Thanks for the feedback on Da Coal Pot. I am stunned to hear that there were 41 people on Soloman. I don't think I have ever seen more than 5! Did you walk from Grande Bay or drive and park somewhere? If there is a spot at the trailhead we'll grab it but if not we would head to another beach. I guess it's not a secret anymore!

And thanks for the on island report! Reentry is not easy! Be well!
We walked from Grand Bay. It's a long walk with a full cooler. Things were much lighter on the walk back. :lol:
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I really enjoyed your real time report. Thanks for taking us along!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
suzanna945

Post by suzanna945 »

Really enjoyed your report and photos, thanks for posting.