Salt pond for kids?

Travel discussion for St. John
PatrickMcc

Salt pond for kids?

Post by PatrickMcc »

We avoided Salt Pond for years because we thought it was hot and lacked shade. Last year we hiked Rams Head and noticed some good shade there but we also remember black spiny creatures in the water. We are wondering if that will be a problem for my grandsons next year, ages 4,4,and 7. I know I am planning way ahead but it's fun. Anyone have experience with kids swimming there? Thanks.
RickG

Re: Salt pond for kids?

Post by RickG »

There is shade, but also acacia thorns. We wear reef shoes as we find them in the water too. It is really more of a swimming/active beach than a lounging beach. Given that, I brought my kids there many times. But, they prefer Lameshure and the north shore beaches.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

Thanks Rick. They are definitely active so we may try it if they have reef shoes
loria

Post by loria »

my kids love salt pond -- one of their favorites -- there are burrs in the sand at times -- but we can always find shade there -- the sea urchins are limited to the rocky areas on both sides -- so not a problem ! The hike out can get hot -- but .. meh.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

We just back from STJ. We went to Salt Pond by 9:00 and grabbed the first picnic table in the shade. Works great if you are an early riser.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Those thorns are a nightmare!

It had been probably 5 years or more since we'd hung out at the beach at Salt Pond, normally we just hike through there, but last summer we decide to stay awhile and I couldn't believe how bad the thorns were. I don't remember them from past years. You definitely have to wear shoes but the thorns will still stick to your towels, bags, etc. (better than in your foot, though!). I advise wearing something other than flip flops; I needed to keep my shoes on to get into the water, but flip flops don't stay on very well.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

I the OP is referring to sea urchins. The entry for first 1/4 of Salt Pond is free of sea urchins. As far as the stickers in the sand get there early claim the first picnic table and use the shade of the tree (or in the sun to the left) for chairs and towels and you are sticker free.