Irma

Travel discussion for St. John
J. Scott

Re: Irma

Post by J. Scott »

There are several things that I'm curious about for anyone that cares to gander an answer. We're coming back after Christmas and of course wish you all the best.

Do most residents evacuate, or ride out a category 4-5 hurricane?

Are homes on the islands built to withstand strong winds?

We stayed on St Thomas last year and noticed a great many home shells that were abandoned. Are these storm damaged places? That were uninsured? Or why were these places left in this state? They looked strong.

What is the most needed items after such a storm? We will try and get donations together and send them if possible.

How long have some of you residents lived on St John? Are you full time residents?

Thank you and we will be watching intently and hoping for the best, but it looks to be a rough ride ahead.
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

Another one of our favorite islands, St Barth. There will be serious storm surge there I'm certain. I wonder how the buildings will fair being so close to the harbour.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

We're keeping EVERYONE in Irma's path in our Prayers!
Stay Safe, Stay Strong... One Love!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

My heart is heavy and I feel sick...keeping St. Johnians, the island, and the island animals (especially all those kitties) in my constant thoughts and prayers. My 4 and 7 year old daughters have been praying, too....Lord, please hear our prayers and send Irma north.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Praying for all of you!! Please stay safe!
Image[/url]
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Hi,
I am looking for Kristen Cox of stjohnultimatevillas.com. She is my niece and her daughter is Kierra. Kierra is here, in Michigan. Kristen rode the storm out in Coral Bay. It seems no one has heard anything about how anyone in Coral Bay is!
I just want to know that EVERYONE made it through this storm!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Joanie wrote:Hi,
I am looking for Kristen Cox of stjohnultimatevillas.com. She is my niece and her daughter is Kierra. Kierra is here, in Michigan. Kristen rode the storm out in Coral Bay. It seems no one has heard anything about how anyone in Coral Bay is!
I just want to know that EVERYONE made it through this storm!
I'm not seeing her listed here, but you can add her; this is the master list for folks on STJ:

https://irmasafetycheck.herokuapp.com/
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

After seeing all the photos coming out, the reality has set in that unfortunately our trip that was scheduled in 7 weeks will have to be put on hold. My heart goes out to all those affected by this horrific storm. It is going to take a while to rebuild, but I know in my heart St. John will come back better then ever! We may not be back this year, but we will be back. #lovecitystrong
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Heart broken.
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

Laura and I are still dealing with Harvey here in Texas but the impact on STJ feels like a death in the family. We are walking around in a daze. I know they will recover and move forward and we will be there to help but this is brutal.
[/url]