Tickercheck

Travel discussion for St. John
hoosierdaddy

Tickercheck

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I know that St. John needs a lot of love right now and a lot of aid but after power is turned back on and structures are inhabitable they will need our tourist dollars. So we will make our return as scheduled. I know it is a long long way off but we will still visit no matter what state of repair the island is in. I would love to make a sooner return but 2018 vacations have already been arranged for us but if I keep asking maybe Hoosiermommy will let me make a change.
PA Girl

Re: Tickercheck

Post by PA Girl »

We booked a February 2018 back in August. I will be looking for a replacement villa as soon as the villa companies are open for business again.
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Agreed - it certainly will need all of our love!!

We booked Seawing in Coral Bay for early April months ago . I know that the house is still standing (apparently with its roof) based on footage taken from a helicopter... but the owner (who does not live on island), as of a few days ago, has no idea if any damage was done to it - or if so, to what extent as her manager has not been able to get over to it...

Having said that, if the house is up & habitable by then and if the island has power & is ready for visitors, we will be there. <3
Peace,

Lisa
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

Our ticker will be one week after Villa Tesori has power. Hoping for October.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I had flights, a Jeep, one night at Cinnamon Bay, and a deposit on a villa for 8 Tuff 2018. The race isn't being held, but the organizer and some of his friends are still running the course that morning. He welcomes other runners, but asks that we all support ourselves with supplies (e.g. water etc.)

I'm waiting to hear status of the villa (Anchorage Aweigh) but it's not until February and I know the owners have more on their minds right now! I dearly want to spend my money there and would love to do some volunteer work while there, but will wait to hear what the infrastructure is like. Food, water, and other supplies are needed for the islanders, not tourists, but they need the tourist money too.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Chicagoans-I was wondering if they were going to try to have 8 Tuff Miles this year. I know in the grand scheme of things it is not as important as food, water shelter and electricity. I am not surprised that there will be people running the course in February even if it is not an official event. I have wanted to run 8 Tuff Miles for years but due to the proximity of spring break and other commitments I have not had the opportunity, so with our last Hoosier graduating this year we had penciled in a February trip to St. John in 2019. It seems a world away.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Hi hoosierdaddy (hey I'm a Hoosier mom! Daugher at IU and loves it.)

I'm hoping for 8 Tuff 2019 too since 2018 is out. I ran it 2012, 13, and 14 and it's so fun! There is a wonderful spirit and camaraderie, and post-race pain killers at Skinny's are also fun.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Hopefully both of us will be there in 2019.

I also have a child at IU. He is a senior and has loved his time in Bloomington as well. He was on the winning Little 500 team last year.
loria

Post by loria »

chicagoans, i am pretty sure that anchorage aweigh came thru the storm fairly well -- whether coral bay will actually have power by february is a big unknown!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>