Trip Planning

Travel discussion for St. John
KatieH

Trip Planning

Post by KatieH »

Good Morning - the forum is far too quiet. Is anyone planning a trip in the near future? We'll be there in 5 weeks for almost 3 weeks. Hoping to spend some time volunteering and will check in with the NPS and ACC when we arrive. We'll come with
-sensitivity to those live on St John who are still trying to rebuild/refigure their lives
-work gloves
-tourist dollars
and always a Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening.
lpowmacback

Re: Trip Planning

Post by lpowmacback »

Hi Katie - as long as Coral Bay has power by early April, we will be there!!
Peace,

Lisa
Suziekue

Post by Suziekue »

Hi Katie, I agree with you this forum is eriely quiet, the Trip Advisor forum seems to be active but not necessarily in a good way.

I've been keeping up via Facebook, on Thanksgiving they removed Dream Weaver from the beach in Cruz Bay and I saw a post that parts of Coral Bay should get power next week. I will be going to STX in March, we changed our plans in between Irma & Maria and well that didn't work out so great. I do still have a deposit on a Coral Bay villa with an owner that is in recovery himself but extremely accommodating to me. I'm working to figure out how soon I can get back to STJ but depending on my work schedule I may have to wait until early 2019.

I hope all the progress I'm hearing about continues, that our island friends feel the relief and recovery for them is swift. I know they are VISTRONG. Praying better days soon come! In the meantime I have been donating to St. John Rescue and adopting families and will continue to support especially with the holidays approaching.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

KAY

Post by KAY »

Good Morning! We will be heading down in 2 months. We debated changing our plans but held out as we didnt want to go anywhere else. We know it will not be exactly the same but will still be our happy place with what is there and they need our tourist dollars.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We are going in February. In fact, I hope to secure an alternative rental today. We went round and round about a different destination but kept coming back to STJ in its altered state. We know how to behave ourselves and won't be a burden or strain to anyone.

I am going to reach out to the Community Foundation next year and see if the fire company needs anything that we can bring or ship down. We are in that line of business so maybe we can help.
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Our annual May/June trip didn't happen this year and we are unsure about next year either - although we are hanging on to the hope that we can somehow make it to the island. Due to the long distance move that we are making and the hope to visit my home country in the East, it has been difficult to sway our budget towards a trip to St. John. We absolutely want to and will return as soon as we physically and financially can.

For those of you who will be visiting St. John - I hope you will let us know about your time on the island. It doesn't matter if it's just a note or a full trip report. It would be appreciated in any form. I imagine many here have been keeping the island in their hearts and minds... even when the forum is quiet.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

I agree that this forum has become far too quiet and I am not sure why. I always thought this forum was a better St John forum because it is smaller than the elephant on the block, although I admit to using Trip Advisor. I also agree that Trip Advisor is not always active in a good way lately.
We are still going in mid April- My wife and I, two adult daughters, son-in-law, and three young grandsons. Caribbean Villas has been great.When they were unsure about our villa around Nov. 1 they offered several choices of other villas and we are going to a much nicer villa than the one we originally rented. We have used them in the past and never regretted it.
We know that it will not be the same but we know that restaurants are already open and more will be open by April and we would be happy just with the beaches that are open now- three I think. Some of the local posters on the other forum have said that the island will be ready for tourists by April so we are confident that conditions will be good. We have been visiting St John since 1983 and we do not want to abandon it for another island now.
Thanks to all the posters for getting me back on this forum.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

I would love to be planning a trip for 2018 but it is not in the cards. We go every other year and was fortunate to be on Island during Spring Break this year. Our vacation plans for 2018 are not changeable so we will have to wait for 2019. Good luck with everyone's trip planning. I know the rock is not the same right now but everyday seems to get better from what I read.
BigDog

Post by BigDog »

Took my immediate family and fiance down in 2016 for their first time and they got hooked and wanted to go back, so we got to talking earlier this year and reserved a villa and tickets for July 2018 as soon as we possibly could.

Contacted the villa rental company a few weeks ago and they said the villa had a little roof damage but that it would be fixed by the time we visit and they were also taking the opportunity to do a little maintenance/upgrades to the villa as well.

I've been going down since the '90s so have seen the island change over time since Hurricane Marilyn and am more curious than anything about how it's changed since the recent hurricanes. Not so for the rest of my troop... they are excited to go, but are already sad about the changes that they will be experiencing.

Delta has changed around some flights and I had to call and switch flights due their changes resulting in us missing a connecting flight out of Atlanta, but that's the only thing close to a challenge about this trip so far.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We are planning on coming down in June 2018...Just now in the planning stage..Looking for suggestions for 3 bdrm villa...3 baths..pool and A/C..have 3 couples this time..any suggestions?
[/url]