Just Booked!!!!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Ed S

Just Booked!!!!!

Post by Ed S »

After almost 3 very long years, we are finally booked to return for two weeks at Gallows Point Dec. 2 - 16!!!!!

We have been blessed with caring for our very senior dog and haven't been back since Dec. 2015. Sadly she left us on Tuesday after 17+ years. This much needed trip will really help us with our grieving and give us something to focus on and look forward to.

Gallows booked yesterday, United direct flights also booked using miles :-), and we have never spent more than 8 nights on STJ so 2 weeks seems like a dream come true! Now onto figuring out our jeep (we have always rented a jeep on STT, and I completely realize what the current car barge situation is today, so I will be weighing renting on STJ versus maybe/optimistically what the barge situation might be in ~3 months).

In the meantime, I have been living vicariously through all of your TRs, and I thank you for that. Hoping the Beach Bar and Joe's Rum Hut might be just re-opening by then, but if not, no worries, we will certainly enjoy trying new places since our last visit.

Now if I could only figure out the ticker - I had one 3 years ago, and tried to update it, unsuccessfully :( . Help!!!
Image[/url]
Suziekue

Re: Just Booked!!!!!

Post by Suziekue »

Oh Ed S, I’m so sorry for your loss! I hope that knowing what great doggy parents you’ve been and the planning of you trip so STJ will bring you some comfort.
Soarin' with the eagles all week long, and this is all that we've learned about living - VACATION!

BAILEYBAY

Post by BAILEYBAY »

Hi Ed S. Sorry about the loss of your Pooch:( As far as car rental I recommend Sunshine Car Rental on St John. When my husband became ill a few years ago and we had to cancel our trip Sunshine gave us an immediate refund of our deposit no questions asked! They have great customer service and are right by the round about in town. Love them. 2 weeks on St John will be heavenly!!
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

Ed - I'm so sorry you've lost your dog. 17 years is a long time - obviously much love and care provided. I do endorse booking at trip to STJ/ I usually wind up at the animal shelter the following day trying to find another animal to love. 2 weeks at Gallows is a dream!

KatieH
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I am sorry to hear about your loss... Ed, S. I imagine St. John will help you heal as you look forward to the trip, while you are on the island and even after the trip with 2 weeks (!) worth of memories. Hope you will get plenty of great snorkeling in. We've often stayed on St. John for 2 weeks - so for us any trips that are less than 2 weeks would feel too short now. I wonder if this 2-week trip will spoil you like that in the future. :wink:

Having to move out of NYC and all... we haven't been able to return to St. John in a while or vacation anywhere for that matter. We hope to break this vacation drought but, by the time that happens, it could be 3 years between our last time on island... and we would be as thrilled as you must be now about returning to St. John!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Thank you all for your kinds words and thoughts. It means a lot, and I know this trip will really help. We were going annually to STJ/Gallows for 7-8 nights from 2010-2015, but since then just couldn't leave her as she got older and had health problems. Then I retired (early) in Jan 2017 and really wanted to do much more travel, but knew eventually that bittersweet time would come. So, here we are, and yes Pickle, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 weeks becomes the standard, and even maybe a couple trips/year. Mixed in with getting back to Europe (especially Italy) here and there.
Pickle - we are heading into Manhattan tomorrow to have dinner with my daughter. She has lived there for the past 6+ years (with a brief time in Hoboken with and ex-boyfriend). She's overlooking Madison Square Park now in the Flatiron district, but had also previously lived around 46th & 1st, then 66th & 2nd. I hope you are able to get back to STJ soon..... 3 years was just torture for us, especially since "I am on STJ every day" on the forums, news, etc...
Image[/url]
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Ed S - we called the East Village home for 25 years after I moved from Midtown and my husband from Chelsea. I still struggle thinking about NYC - familiar things, places and faces - but I’ve been trying to make peace with the move and settle in with our new life in the South. I feel it all will be good. Now what would really make us happy is a visit to St. John. We've been longing to return and support the island but haven't been able to. I feel like we are letting the island down - no matter how small our support might be in the grand scheme of things.

I understand your sentiment - for long time annual visitors, a 3-year gap is/would be dreadful (mildly put!), especially when St. John is on your mind every day. I am happy for you that you will be returning - and I'm hoping we will follow your path.

Have a great dinner with your daughter. NYC can be a beast but also a treat!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Pickle, thanks for that background. God speed to you on your return to STJ!!!
Image[/url]
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Oh Ed, so sorry to hear about your friend and so glad that you'll be returning to your happy place. It's just the what I would want to do.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Ed

Sorry about the Family Furry Friend...we are on our 4th Yellow Lab and leaving a dog is hard to do. One of these days we'll do 2 weeks or longer...maybe 2-3 months.

Safe Travels

Dave/Bigcheeze
Enjoy the Journey 8)
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Thanks Dave - much appreciated. Wow, 2-3 months, that's certainly something to aspire to! We've only ever done 8 nights, which is never nearly enough. I can't wait to try 2 weeks (counting the days) and I'm sure we still won't be ready to go back home!
Image[/url]