mayo bay camping

Travel discussion for St. John
traceysj

mayo bay camping

Post by traceysj »

It looks like a great place to go with children, but I was wondering if anyone has been here without children?

Did you feel like you had your privacy? Did it feel like there were children all around you. (i don't have anything against children, i have 5 of my own, but you know what it's like when you want to get away from it all!!!) javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing

It would seem to be a different kind of vacation, did you love it compared to a villa?

Thank you everyone!
parafins

Maho Camps

Post by parafins »

I have never stayed there even though I've tried.We are a family of 5.All three of my children are under the age of 11.Maho Camps did not want to put us all in one cottage.They thought it would be too cramped.I just want along with what they said and set things up with Samuel Cottages.Maho Camps is a beautiful place!Great views,ect.If you contact them they will sent you a map.All the cottages are on the map with there #s and you cant pick the most private one.Don't freek out when you see the map.It looks like you would have to do a lot of walking.But walking Maho myself I didn't think it was all that bad.If you stay there try a night snorkel!! :D Best wishes Parafins...
HELLO FROM MICHIGAN...
kirk

Post by kirk »

Please see RickG's post in this thread.http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum ... php?t=2923
Bilter

Post by Bilter »

Hello,

This August will be our third time going back to the camp. We love it there. Never had a problem with kids although we usually go in late October so it will be intersting this time. If you want to get around the Island i would suggest renting a car. There is Fretts taxi that services the camp but not many others want to make the trip to maho camps. If you like camping then this is the place to go. If you join the friends of the Virgin Islands they offer a discount of 20% off stays in the offseason there. Let me know if I cxan be of any further help.
ScubaGirl

Post by ScubaGirl »

My step daughter and her husband stayed at Harmoney suites, part of Maho Camps, last month for part of their honeymoon. They loved it! They really liked having their own washroom, and thought it was really cool, that the suite is run by solar power.
They have some pictures, if you are thinking about staying there.

sydney
RickG

Post by RickG »

I love Maho Bay Campground as did my youngest daughter, then 6. My lover and my oldest daughter thought there were too many steps and the toilet was too far away. We stayed in unit A14 and had privacy. I mean enough privacy for an afternoon delight. Other cabins have people walking past all day - that's the price for being closer to the toilets. If you ask for a particular villa or a particular setting they will accomodate you based on how early you reserve. I reserved a year in advance to get A14 during spring break.

Depending on the time you go, there may be few or lots of kids. Summer time and school breaks there are lots of kids.

There are a lot of adults - especially good looking yoga types (not me!).

I'll go again.

Trip report: http://www.garvin.us/STJ/Trip_Reports/2 ... round.html

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI