Villa Notre Ciel or other suggestions...

Travel discussion for St. John
snowbird

Villa Notre Ciel or other suggestions...

Post by snowbird »

Hello all....

After visiting STJ for three years in hosted accomodations, we are looking to make the transition to villa rental this year. We have three young boys (ages 2, 5, & 8) and we have a few priorities:

1) private pool
2) location to north shore beaches
3) <20 minutes to Cruz Bay
4) 2-3 bedrooms under one roof...
5) High Season ~$3,000

We are currently looking at Notre Ciel in the middle of the island as it meets this criteria, but have yet to find others that are good for comparison.

Hoping you can help us with this quest....

Thanks!!

snowbird
Bill in Va

Notre Ciel

Post by Bill in Va »

Hey there. We stayed there a few years ago. In fact I think we were the first to get the pool. Great views. Very windy. Close to Maho as well. About 5 minutes. Less than 10 minutes to Skinny Legs.We were warned about the water from the cistern. No big deal. This is a good value for the money in my book. Get to know where the lumber yard area is and find the Ice Company. Refills are the cheapest so save the jugs. Use it for ice as well as brushing your teeth. We hit STJ on the 25th of Nov for our 13th trip...can't wait..God bless....Bill
Pat

Post by Pat »

I also agree that Notre Ciel is a good value $$ wise. Our only hesitation with renting it has been the pictures of the furniture. It looks very uncomfortable, and there's only a small wicker backed sofa/loveseat and one chair. We are a group of 4 who like to melt into the cushions and watch the weather channel and sometimes if we can stand it, the world news. If its buggy outside, and you need to sit indoors, this seating arrangement is too cramped. Would need to bring in chairs from patio. Also, what's with the water?? Not enuf of it or not good tasting?
Bob & Anita

Post by Bob & Anita »

The Bayview seems to fit most of your requirements. It has 2nd bedrooms, but the 2nd bedroom is below the 1st bedroom with outside stairs connecting the two - not sure if this would work for your younger children.
Bob & Anita
Linda in DE

Post by Linda in DE »

Snowbird,
We stayed at Notre Ciel this past April & found it to be wonderful. The view is nothing short of spectacular. We didn't find it windy at all. Maybe it depends on what time of year you go. As for the furniture not being comfortable, we really didn't stay inside much. But when we did, we did not have a problem. There were four of us there, myself, my husband, my adult son & his girlfriend. We did not even use the loft. But upstairs there is room for probably 3 people. There is no A/C in the villa. As for water, we had no issues at all. That being said we were not able to use the washer or dryer, as, according to the manager, they were in need of repair. We would definitely stay there again.
Linda in Delaware
Pat

Question for Linda....

Post by Pat »

Can you tell me what the driveway is like? Is it straight up with no shoulder? were there deep ruts to drive through? Will have to re-evaluate renting this villa. Thanks in advance...p.s. I'm from Newark DE too!!!
Linda in DE

Notre Ciel

Post by Linda in DE »

Pat,
As far as I can remember, the driveway was a non-issue, especially if you have a 4 wheel. But actually, now that I think about it, we didn't even have to engage the 4 wheel. After the first couple of times up the driveway, we had it down to a science. We used a Suzuki Vitara & had no problems.
As an aside, Pat, I have come to realize that lots of Delawareans go to St. John!!!
We also hope to go back some time next spring. It will be our 3rd time back & we love staying up in the mountains with that million dollar view.
Good luck planning.
Linda
ShelleyZ

Post by ShelleyZ »

We stayed at Notre Ciel for two weeks in August and loved it. I think it would be an excellent villa for children because it is so self contained and the pool is gated. The view is unbelievable, the breezes divine. Also the loft has a single, a double and a small crib. It's also quite spacious.

The furniture is very comfortable. The bookitvi website does not show the new living room furniture. There is now a very comfortable lounge chair with footrest and a rocking chair, if I recall, as well as a new sofa. Although the space isn't huge, it is very cozy and comfy. Look at www.notreciel.com for a better idea.

The driveway is not a problem. The first 30 yards are not paved and are rutted, but then it's paved/stone and easily navigated.

Sunrise on the deck with coffee, stargazing at night -- unforgettable. And the pool and hot-tub are terrific bonuses. There is also a water filtration system, so we drank the water from the tap. Oh, and the landscaping is beautiful. Feel free to ask questions.

Happy hunting.
Shelley
sherban

Re: Villa Notre Ciel or other suggestions...

Post by sherban »

Hey- old post alert! :)

Can ya'll help me?... I want to locate Nore Ciel on our Google Villa Map, can one of you help by verifying which building it is in this photo? and, Is it up Mamey Peak road or a private driveway...thanks!

I think it's the one circled...can anyone confirm?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3VSfvULXX9ywFjwv5
sherban

Re: Villa Notre Ciel or other suggestions...

Post by sherban »

sherban wrote:Hey- old post alert! :)

Can ya'll help me?... I want to locate Nore Ciel on our Google Villa Map, can one of you help by verifying which building it is in this photo? and, Is it up Mamey Peak road or a private driveway...thanks!

I think it's the one circled...can anyone confirm?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3VSfvULXX9ywFjwv5
Confirmed via PM, added to the map...Thanks Bill!