Bongo Bongo - The Villa

Travel discussion for St. John
mbw1024

Bongo Bongo - The Villa

Post by mbw1024 »

I know everyone is interested in our vacation here but let’s face it; the real story is Bongo Bongo. There have been other renters but I have yet to see any reviews of this place so here goes. Jeff might be wincing right now! :D But he shouldn't be!

Will preface all this by saying it’s my first time for everything. First time to St. John, first time renting a villa although I have rented other vacation homes, first time driving on the left – although I have yet to do that either! Charlie’s behind the wheel.

I had seen the BB blog at one time when I was already booked in to a villa in the Coral Bay area. So I figured “next time” and I moved on. Then I got cancelled out of that villa by the owners because they were going to be living there full time by the time our honeymoon rolled around. No offense to them as I’m sure it’s a lovely place but that was the best thing that could have happened to us. Being on the island now I know I would not have wanted to be in Coral Bay for our first visit to St. John. To each his own on that one but we find the location of BB to be ideal for our needs.

So when I was cancelled I had to start over for a honeymoon. BB was recommended to me by a girl on a wedding related web site as she was also booked here. Turned out after the delays in construction she was the first guests of BB.

When I first saw the blog and heard the name Bongo Bongo one thing came to my mind – 1950’s kitsch! Don’t know why but that is what I thought. However, as I followed the blog (daily I might add and a little annoyed when it wasn’t updated – LOL) I knew that wasn’t the case. Having been here a few days now I have a new description – West Indies casual elegance. It is exotic. It is comfortable. And .. get ready for this … it’s SEXY! Now I don’t mean that in a down and dirty, getting it on, kinda way (although that is certainly an option!). It’s more about the attention to detail that has been given to this home. There has been thought here .. and as we know .. money. Plenty of it.

I started composing this post as I was floating in the pool watching the full moon rise over Bongo Bongo, while Charlie was in the kitchen preparing our rib eyes for the grill. If that ain’t sexy I don’t know what is!

I’m a total dork for details. So I will be happy to tell you about a few. The lighting of this place is phenomenal. The first night we were here I was in the bedroom and when I came out to the main living area Charlie said “Oh you will love this place, this is as bright as it gets”. Which was perfect. The lighting really adds to the colors that have been chosen. Warmth. Inside and out. That being said on the lighting I have to mention that I have never seen so damn many light switches in one house in my life! I still have figured out how to work all the lights but seems like Charlie has. Every night at dusk he goes around flicking them all on and this house comes to life.

The mornings are wonderful here as well. It’s warm but shady if you desire it and the breezes in the morning and at night have been wonderful. And the coffee is the best there is on the island. Fresh ground of course! But as good as the morning is, the nights are fantastic. This is our 4th night here and so far we have been out to dinner once, which is fine by us. We enjoy the evenings here.

Tile. Ok, what can be said about tile, right? Well I have to tell you the choices that were made here were great ones. The tile in the kitchen in the back splash area it lovely, especially at night. Every time I look at I see a different color and it looks as if it’s got crushed diamonds in it. And the tile used in the showers reminds me of a stained glass window compressed in to a teeny tiny tile.

The floors are magnificent. The colors of everything that has been done here are just so right for this place. I hope it has turned out exactly as Jeff and Russ wanted because there is not much about this home that I would change, if anything. And just so you know the lower pool veranda makes an excellent dance floor!

I smell my steaks so I’m going to wrap this up. I know the owners are likely to read this and that really has no influence in what I have to say. I feel privileged to be able to use their home for a time. I can’t imagine how they come here and know they have to leave it behind. And not only leave it behind but turn it over to total strangers. So for those of you who are on your way .. take good care. Treat it like your own. Better yet, treat it like someone else’s because treating it like your own might not be good enough.

A note to Jeff and Russ – all I ask is that you let us in on what year you plan to live here full time! That way we know how long we renters have to live the high life!

Thanks for everything,
Mary Beth & Charlie Fraser
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Marybeth,
Thank you so much for all the wonderful information and for sharing your honeymoon with us.

I sounds as if you are truly enjoying your trip.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Dang, makes me want to put a deposit down!! Between your words and your pics I'm ready to rent BB. Very good indorsement and thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Take care.
Coden
RickG

Post by RickG »

MB, your pictures and description really bring this alive. It's great to hear that the boys did you good. I sent my sister the view of the hill between Hart Bay and Chocolate Hole so that she can see her November villa, Le Lapin. She was all questions about Bongo Bongo after seeing the interior shots.

I like the orientation that Bongo Bongo has. That Western orientation cuts down on the wind coming across the South shore enough to prevent a chill, but keep the bugs down. Jazz Vill is over that way and worked well for us.

Enjoy your honeymoon. St. John is a special place that way for me. We keep coming back for the memories and the new experiences. Having been to other islands, STJ fits best for us.

Cheers, RickG
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks for the detailed description. You make it sound amazing! I'm really enjoying your pictures, too.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Hi Mary Beth. Congratulations on your wedding, and thanks for taking the time to post from your honeymoon. Its been fun to follow along, and I absolutely love Bongo Bongo. My wife, Janie, and I went to St. John on our honeymoon, way back in 1980 (yikes!). We've been to a number of other islands since, but none of them hold the special place in our lives that St. John does. Hope you enjoy every moment of your trip.
---Jim
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Hi Mary Beth & Charlie! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on your adventures! It's all sounding so perfect. Also thanks for the great pictures and the awesome description of Bongo Bongo. I think I will have to definitely consider it for next time! There's something extra special about it, having followed the blog. Knowing all the TLC that has gone into it makes me feel like I have a more "personal" connection to it.

Hope the rest of your honeymoon is fantastic (like I need to say that!)
:lol:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:23 am.