New to this forum!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

New to this forum!!

Post by Coden »

Hello!! I'm new here as a poster, I have been reading a few of the posts but have been waiting for the New Forum before registering. Looks great so far and I wish you much luck!!

My family will be on STJ for Christmas this year so we are gathering all of the info. we can as this will be our first stay on the island, and we can't wait!!

Again, congrats on getting the new forum up and running and here's to many happy postings!!!
Coden
patr

Post by patr »

Welcome!

You are going to love St John! How many in your family going? Ages? Are you renting a villa?

The folks on this forum are awesome, if you have any questions - just ask. You'll be blown away by the feedback you'll get.

patr
Coden

Post by Coden »

patr - Thank you for the welcome. I have a family of three, and we are bringing a friend of our sons with us to STJ. We've rented a villa in Coral Bay and can't wait to get there!

We've just bought new snorkel equip and have been trying it out in a friends pool to make sure it all works...so far so good!

My husband and I have been twice to STJ but only via a daysail from STT and only as far as Honeymoon beach but we both knew that we wanted to go stay on Island, so here we are, getting ready to do 10 days at Christmas. How cool is that!!

Our son grads. from College this coming May so this is a Job Well Done vacation for him. It is also to celebrate our 25th wedding anniv., my 50th b-day and Christmas...that's all I could get rolled into this vacation to justify something so expensive at Christmas!! :lol:

Hey, whatever it takes, right??? LOL
Coden
Tracy in WI

Welcome

Post by Tracy in WI »

Welcome! What great reasons to go to STJ and celebrate! Ask away if there are questions - like stated before, there are so many great posters here to answer your questions.

Amy

Post by Amy »

Welcome to the forum! We were in STJ for Christmas in 2005, and had such a fabulous time. Loved it so much we're heading back a week from Friday for 8 days! St. John is a lot of fun at Christmastime. There is a beautiful tree in Cruz Bay, and it was so cool to spend Christmas Day on the beach at Jumbie Bay!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the folks on this forum. They are experts on St. John, and helped me so much in planning both of our trips.
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thank you Tracy and Amy for the warm welcome!!

We are so excited about spending Christmas on STJ...this will be our 1st vacation ever at Christmas as we've always spent it at home with our extended families. So this is all new to us and we can't wait!

Amy - So excited to read there will be a tree in Cruz Bay for us to see and we can't wait to snorkle on Christmas day. Do you remember what else was going on, like programs and such? We'll be on island from the 18th to the 28th.

Also, do you remember if the restaurants were open on Christmas eve and Christmas day or were they closed?
Coden
Amy

Post by Amy »

Amy - So excited to read there will be a tree in Cruz Bay for us to see and we can't wait to snorkle on Christmas day. Do you remember what else was going on, like programs and such? We'll be on island from the 18th to the 28th.

Also, do you remember if the restaurants were open on Christmas eve and Christmas day or were they closed?
Coden,
We ate out on Christmas Eve, planned at the last minute. Almost all of the restaurants were open, although most were booked up. We managed to make an early reservation (5 PM or so) at Morgan's Mango, which we enjoyed. I can't remember off-hand if the restaurants were open on Christmas Day--I think many of them were closed so employees could enjoy the day. We ate at our villa that night. I would highly recommend making reservations well ahead of time for both nights if you plan to eat out, and that way you will have a better choice than we did.

The Christmas tree was so cool (and real!). We arrived on the 22nd, so we missed some of the events like the special night they have in St. John when the shops stay open late and there are carollers. You might get there early enough to see that. We hung out at the main square in Cruz Bay on Christmas Eve, and there was live music, people dancing, and a generally festive atmosphere. Fun!
Coden

Post by Coden »

Amy - Thank you for the info. we will more than likely plan on eating out on X-mas Eve then and plan to dine in at the villa on X-mas day. I would much rather do that and let the restaurant workers be with their families. Afterall, I'll be with mine and that is the important thing! :)

Once we get on island we'll have to scope out vegetarian provisions and get our larder stocked for X-mas dinner. Or buy takey-outie on X-mas Eve at Sweet Plantains and save it for the next days meal. Hmmm, that might be a good idea now that I think about it. LOL
Coden