restaurant ratings

Travel discussion for St. John
designbyroe

Re: restaurant ratings

Post by designbyroe »

naturegirl wrote:OK here are the restaurants:

Best of Sweet Plaintains, Lucy's or Aqua Bistro (add any other less formal island restaraunts in this category)
I think Rose at Sweet Plantains is amazing and that is a must......
Brunch at Miss Lucy's just so you can see Eddie Bruce and the guys play music is enough
Rhumblines......love the ambience and Jeromes cooking and love it all

Best of the fancy restaurants:
La Tapa #1....nothing beats Alex's menu
Stone Terrace #2......love the ambience
Asolare
Chateaux Bordeaux #3.......love the view
Tage
Paradiso
(add any other formal island restaurant to this list)

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

One of the best meals I had on STJ was Sunday Brunch at Miss Lucy's. The food & service were excellent, they make a mean lime n' coconut and the view is to die for! Don't miss it!

We had a great lunch at the Balcony, but didn't try it for dinner.

We were incredibly disappointed in Morgan's Mango. Terrible service, rude servers and so-so food. I wouldn't eat there again.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Best upscale meal so far on St John was definitely Tage. Don't know the status there though. It was when Ted was there.

We are trying Zozos this year because I have consistently heard such great things, though I am starting to think I am missing out by missing La Tapa.

Miss Lucy's Full Moon party platter was great for local flavor.
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Asolare is our favorite...
  • great wait staff
    love Kim the Bartender
    they always prepare us a great veggie option
    my children who eat meat/seafood and live in NYC and San Fran voted the meal they had Christman eve 2005 the best meal they ever had
    can't beat the sunset views though it means eating early in December
We will be there in Dec for at least 2 meals during the 2 weeks we are there!

Reading the trip reports, thinking about STJ restaurants and having the weather finally turn to chilly fall days in central Illionis am certainly getting ready for the trip ---
Am getting excited to start our restaurant plan.....for our first week, we will have "newbies" to introduce to STJ and the second my grown children and new son in law(first timer)......
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
MIG

Post by MIG »

Is Ten Tables gone? I really enjoyed that during previous visits, but no mention lately.
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

Perhaps this is a good time to put in a plug for my informal STJ Restaurant Guide. It covers most of the restaurants on the island, and I include posts from trip reports on this and other STJ forums, reviews, and outside sources like Fodor's and Frommer's. It's a rather large document (maybe 25 pages or so), and I'm happy to share it with anyone who'll send me a PM requesting it. Be sure and include your e-mail so I know where to send it. I think it'll give you a pretty good indication of the prevailing opinion of St. John dining.

Robin
BreakawayBarb

Restaurants

Post by BreakawayBarb »

I'm a lurker who doesn't contribute as much as I should but loves the dialog among all of you. Thank you. So helpful...so interesting.

I can't wait to go to Tage (new since my last STJ trip a few years back), but what about ZoZo's?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

What is the latest on Tage? I keep losing track. Open or closed?
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Zozo's is my favorite! I love having a drink in the upstairs bar and watching the sunset, then feasting on Osso Bucco!! Yum, yum, yum. I just love everything about the place.
Paula

Verve

Post by Verve »

Tage is closed. Reopening? **SHAKES MAGIC 8-BALL** Prospects are dim, ask again later.

For those who loved Ten Tables, yes, it's gone.Paul, the owner/chef is now running Paradiso and it's out of sight. IMO, some of the best food on STJ right now. Paradiso was doing 80-90 dinners a night during Sept/Oct when most places were empty.

It should be on everyone's "must do" list!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

LOVE Zozo's. Just a really great spot and the food is so good.

I will also give a vote to Stone Terrace. Great wine list and some really creative dishes.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Best of the fancy restaurants:

Stone Terrace -- innovative menu, good location to town

Asolare-- excellent views, interesting menu

Chateaux Bordeaux -- never been but have never heard fantastic things about it.

Tage -- mixed reviews either hot or cold

Paradiso -- decent-- although with Paul on the scene may be excellent.

As for wine, I've always felt that wine was overpriced on island since it is taxed differently than liquor.

It just bugs me to pay more for something than I absolutely have to. Plus there is an endless supply of excellent mixed drink recipes and that keeps my whistle pretty wet!
*Another fine scatterbrained production
naturegirl

Post by naturegirl »

OK- So far I've decided on:

Rhumblines and Sweet Plaintains 'cause I love the spicy island food!!! For bruch, I will go to Ms. Lucy's. I will be there on St John for two brunches, should I go there twice?

Now I have 3 more to chose from. Can I do La Tapa for lunch or is it more of a dinner spot? Just thinking if there is no view I would rather save the night spots for sunset view dinners. No matter what I want to go there so that is my 3rd dinner spot.

So we have two choices left:

Stone Terrace
Asolare
Chateaux Bordeaux

and Paridiso or Tage

If you HAD two to pick which would you choose?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

don't think La Tapa serves lunch.