Villa Calicaribe

Travel discussion for St. John
Trish

Villa Calicaribe

Post by Trish »

Hello,

Newbie here!! Does anyone know anything first hand about the Villa Calicaribe?? Looking at it for our next vacation. Found it on the Destination St. John website. Also, how is Destination St. John to work with??

Thank you!!
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Welcome to the Forum! This villa looks BEAUTIFUL! I haven't stayed there but I've worked with Destination St. John. They were great!

Happy villa shopping!
NancyB
melmd

Post by melmd »

We used Destination St. John to book our villa Coral Rays in Dec. They were very helpful and booked our car for us through St. John Car Rental. Only thing is I wish they would have told me more about the road to the villa.

I would use them again.
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

I have stayed there - back in 2004 when it was new. It was awesome! It is close to Cruz Bay, yet feels very private. The home is very well designed and, when we rented it, was very, very well maintained and appointed.

Since then, a new owner has bought it. I spoke with him about 8 months ago and he told me about the updates since his purchase. Central A/C throughout, which they did not have when we rented. I want to stay again someday.

I love the idea of the Master BR being the only BR in the main house - and the other 2 bedrooms having their own entrances in the second pavillion.

The pool area is generous with views of St Thomas.

The large verandah stretches the entire span of the front of the home - from the pool deck to the Master Bedroom at the far end.

This home is where I was first introduced to Night Blooming Jasmine. I was standing in the kitchen one evening after dinner and this glorious scent came through the windows. It was so amazing that I went searching outside with a flashlight to find it's source and located the plant.

It is 5 mins from Cruz Bay - 2 mins from Starfish - just up the hill.

Upper BR in the guest pavillion has it's own bath with bath or BR entry from the pool deck. There's also an outdoor shower next to the bath entry - good for washing off sand - and I like that you can enter right into the bathroom from the pool deck - which is the bath that everyone used while we were at the pool. That guest BR also has it's own balcony overlooking St Thomas.

The lower guest pavillion BR has it's own entry and a stone garden patio of it's own. It also has a kitchen, seating area and it's own bath. We put my parents in here since it was like their own apartment. They could make their coffee and bagels early and sit out, without disturbing us late sleepers.

Kitchen in main home had a diswasher - and kitchen was open to Living room area.

There's a large laundry room.

Driveway is paved and lit along the sides with beautiful lighting - but somewheat steep. You get used to it. There is room to turn around at the top, so you are not forced to back down.

Other than the steep driveway, the roads are fine. if anyone wants to take a taxi back to the house from Cruz Bay, it is easy. We did this on "drinking nights". The home is so close that it isn't expensive and the taxi just let us off on the main road, which is on the way to Westin so they are always going back and forth. Then we just walked up the little road to the driveway (2 min walk) and then up the driveway, which was fun after several drinks (3 steps up, 2 staggers back...4 steps up, 2 staggers back....you get the picture - lol).

The ease of taxis to this home makes it the ideal choice, IMO, for families with older teens or young adults where you don't want them driving (or they are too young to drive) but you want them to have freedom to go our on their own and return on their own. They will not feel like they are your prisoners in this house. Anyone with a "young adult" around 20 will know what I mean. A house like this is the solution.

Feel free to ask more ?s.
Bluwater
Badger5

Post by Badger5 »

Thanks you Blu!!

I do have a couple of questions. Does the laundry room have a full size washer and dryer? We are only doing carryon so that would be necessary. Also, does the villa supply beach towels, beach chairs, or a cooler?? Also, how is the sunset view?

Thanks,
Badger
RickG

Post by RickG »

Bluwater's back! Thanks for the good intel.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Bluwater

Post by Bluwater »

Hi Rick G. Happy New Year!!

Badger, yes, when we stayed there the Washer and Dryer were full sized. I think I recall them being that really fancy front loaded (expensive) Maytag kind that saves water - the ones with the crown on them.

We were supplied with a beach bag and plenty of large beach towels. Keep in mind that the owner has changed. But, I have never rented a villa that didn't supply beach towels. This one is on the luxury side, so it should.

I do not specifically recall a cooler, but would expect one - just call DSJ and ask. Yes, I remember chairs. Memory tells me that they were the little sand chairs. They must have been replaced by now, so best to ask about that.

It's a very nice villa. Can't imagine needing anything at this one.

Sunset - amazing!! You face west, so you will definitely experience sunsets here. The pool deck area is really nice. You'll love it. The pool is not really Infinity edged, but does go right to the edge of the deck area. When you look at the photos and see that large dining table that is out on the veranda, that is just how it looks in real life. We ate our dinners out there - and that faces West, so you eat and watch the sun set.

Another feature that you cannot see in the photos is that in the Master bedroom, there are windows that go almost the full width and length of the room - and they face west and St Thomas. If you lay in bed at night, you can look right out over to St Thomas and the twinkling lights. Very nice - I rememebr that view so fondly. There is also a door from the MBR leading out to the veranda - so you can get to and from the pool without going through the rest of the house, if you want. The Master bath is large, with a garden style shower.

I rememebr selecting this home by calling the rental agent and asking the lady who answered the phone what her favorite property was - and she said this one - then she just gushed on and on about it.
Bluwater
Badger5

Post by Badger5 »

Bluwater,

Thank you for that information. We are staying there for a week in March and cannot wait! Glad to hear about the washer and dryer as we are only doing carry on.

Trish - we will post a villa review when we get back.

Badger