DESPERATELY SEEKING VILLA HELP

Travel discussion for St. John
petepie

Post by petepie »

Ok, I just looked at the website for Serenity and if it looks anything in person like it does on the site, I would go with it over Catalina. It looks much more spacious and light filled, and has a lot more decking (open and covered) than Catalina did.

It looks like the off season price difference is only about $600. With the Caribbean Villas' 5% add-on to Catalina's price, it's less than that.

Just my $0.02!!!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on Catalina.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Kay,
I hope I didn't discourage you about Serenity. It really is a nice place. It looks pretty much exactly like the photos. Feel free to pm me also.

Susan
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Kay....here are a few more pics of Time Out Villa for you if you need them.

www.timeoutvilla.com

Good luck & have fun in the planning!
St. John Lover

Post by St. John Lover »

Hi Kay,

Welcome to the forum! As a "St. John newbie" you've already made a great decision: seeking advice from the wealth of wisdom here. I'm always amazed at the quality & depth of the answers I see here; whether practical island-related tips, or even insights into deeper issues that come up from time to time. So, here's my input as well.

First a little background: hubby & I are about the same age as you two--or at least your husband (perhaps he married a 20-year-old?); we've been traveling to St. John for about 17 years now (yup, it was 'love at 1st sight'); we've stayed at a wide variety of condos & villas over the years; and we've booked through a number of different agencies as well as directly through the owners (primarily VRBO & A1vacations).

Second, my response to your 3 original suggestions: we've never stayed at any of these 3 but I looked at their sights & am very familiar with 2 out of the 3 rental agencies. Villa Catalina, personally I reject all villas that have fiberglass pools; I'm sorry but I just don't like them. The 2nd count against it is the rental agency, Caribbean Villas. I have no idea why they charge a 5% service fee, none of the other agencies that I know of do that & I know for a fact that they are already getting a hefty commission off of each booking. Finally our experience with them hasn't been super great; some of their properties are very dated, they have not been that responsive to any problems that have arisen--and we are NOT fussy people--; and when you talk to them on their phone you're talking to an agency in Maine not on-island in St. John. Personally, I like supporting the island because I love it so much.

Now the other 2: Seascape, IMHO, looks a bit dated; however Carefree Getaways I've used several times and they are great people--fun to deal with and responsive to any problems that may arise. Very nice, on-island people who will give you honest assesments of their properties. Serenity looks very nice but is quite a bit pricier than your other 2 properties.

Here's a couple other suggestions for 2 villas that I think meet all of your requirements. Not sure what your budget is because these 2 are in different budget categories, but here goes. Cinnamon Tarn: very nice North Shore property with incredible views, great spacious interior--I really LOVE their showers--and great location (but we like jeeping down the dirt trails & that may not appeal to you). Only downside is no pool, just a giant hot-tub, but depending on when you're going that may be ok.

2nd suggestion is Perelandra: less expensive, with different but still spectacular views--great sunsets & harbor activity & quiet cays settling into the purple dusk-type views. Interior is smaller but nice size bedrooms & nice walk-in showers. Very well-equipped (as is Cinnamon Tarn). Beautiful gardens & pool area and--the best for us--very private yet very close to town & beaches.

Hope this helps!
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Regarding Seascape, I hear this house has undergone a complete update. Friends who stayed there in 2001 will be staying there again in two weeks and will maybe provide an update after their trip.
-Ruth
KAY

Post by KAY »

I need to book before this drives me crazy! Wondering about pros/cons of the areas and bug situations. Down to Serenity on Maria Bluff (view,pool), Paloma Blanca on Gift Hill (view,pool,spa) or lastly Mar De Amores, Chocolate Hole (pool, partial sunsets-worried about construction).
Paloma had good review but mentioned it was buggy which I never thought of. Are bugs a big problem in April or any thoughts on Palmoa or driving to the different areas. We'll be renting a jeep.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Kay---I will send you a Private Message ref Mar de Amores.
KPlumm

Post by KPlumm »

We stayed at Paloma in May 2005. The view took our breath away when we first saw it! The villa was comfortable and we enjoyed the pool and hot tub. I do not recall it being bugy, but that seems to me to be driven by the weather and I don't know what. We ususally come in May and some years there were bugs and some years there weren't.