Where to go in August/September

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
djmom

Post by djmom »

yes, they rent houses, mostly really nice ones. there are not real "hotels" on the island. just a little area with an inn and some condo-like rentals.

here is who we are using. http://www.baldheadislandrentals.com
you might find other agencies that have better prices, we didn't shop around too much as we found a house we really liked.

I would definitely choose a house that is oceanfront or ocean view. There are some choices that aren't (can't remember what they call them- the forest or marsh or something) I have heard those can be very buggy.

Anyways, we have been twice before. You ride a ferry over. They have a sea turtle conservancy there where kids can do day camp, night time turtle walks, some really nice nature stuff. There are no movie theaters, putt putt, junky stuff, etc...just a few nice restaurants, a few casual ones. Most rentals have golf carts. Some have bikes. Most include use of the country club pool.

let me know if you have questions-

Susan
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

flip-flop wrote:Thanks y'all. I think I've been talked into keeping it local (sort of) and heading to the OBX in late August.
That may be a little risky. Our friends used to rent a house at that time but gave it up after having to evacuate two years in a row. You just may want to do some more research.

I think OBX is the one that started it all, you know, the oval sticker thing.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Jerseyboy wrote:I think OBX is the one that started it all, you know, the oval sticker thing.
Maybe here in US, but I think they got it from Europe, where it may be some kind of supplementary i.d. thing for when a vehicle goes out of its home country like UK or CH (which is Switzerland).

This summer, I got a kick out of seeing ACK on hats, shirts, and stickers while on an island off the coast of Red Sox nation.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

jmq wrote:
Jerseyboy wrote:I think OBX is the one that started it all, you know, the oval sticker thing.
Maybe here in US, but I think they got it from Europe, where it may be some kind of supplementary i.d. thing for when a vehicle goes out of its home country like UK or CH (which is Switzerland).

This summer, I got a kick out of seeing ACK on hats, shirts, and stickers while on an island off the coast of Red Sox nation.
Sorry, I meant that OBX was one of the first for resort/beach cities in the USA. You're definitely right about the Europe thing.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I'd say Emerald Isle down here in NC. From what I understand about the Outer Banks (Read: nothing), EI is a little more built up; supermarkets, restaurants, FRESH SEAFOOD. We rented a huge house for 4 people last September. 6 BR for 4 people (Smallest house with a pool!). We had a blast. It's now our odd-year destination (STJ being even years)

It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from Raleigh (for reference)

We rented from Bluewater: http://bluewatergmac.com/

And since we moved to NC in 2005, it hasn't rained...so no hurricane threats!