So Good, So Good, So Good! Realtime trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Sure enough, the rainbow appeared during the brief morning shower. It's hard to see, look just above the the palm tree in front of the pool.

After a tasty breakfast at JJ's (Huevos Rancheros....yum) we hiked the trail down to Soloman Beach, which was beautiful. In all of our visits we had never done that so it was past time.

It's all down hill so it wasn't a difficult walk but if it had rained any harder than it had it would have been too slick for the flip-flops that we were all wearing. There are plenty of loose stones.

None of us were interested in the level of physical exertion that would be required to hike all the way back up lugging our gear and besides it was WELL past elevenses (you Don't Stop the Carnival fans know exactly what I mean) so after an enjoyable few hours on Soloman we walked back up the trail to the first fork then headed left to Honeymoon Beach which is another of our favorites. That walk is fairly level once you get to that fork then it's just about another 7 or eight minute walk to the main Caneel beach where we cleaned up and had a late lunch before catching a cab back to the car.

Back to Gallows to relax and look for that octopus. He's a slippery little fella and has evaded us thus far.

I doubt anyone will be too hungry for dinner so we'll probably order a pizza for the room and watch some fantastically inappropriate for a 10 year old movie like Austin Powers which to this day reduces all four of us to helpless giggles. The parts that should go right over his head, do......except maybe the "Machine gun jugglies, how did I miss those?" manner of comments which I'm hopeful won't ruin his character.

Last night dinner at Rhumblines was wonderful as usual. I have no defense for the attack of mirth that befell us as #1 and #2 entertained us with a list of famous last words like "What does this button do?" except to say that thank God we were on foot because the the sun, exercise and perhaps possibly the cocktails were catching up with us and I wouldn't have advised either of us to get behind the wheel. We thoroughly enjoyed a complete Pu-Pu experience and ordered various items from the pu-pu menu and appetizer list until we were full. Each and every one were delicious. The breast of duck app, bbq shrimp and spring rolls were the favorites but it was all so good and the sauces are fantastic. Service was charming and superb as always. We stopped into a couple of shops after and strolled home around 10ish. A great day.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Another quick note....I hope no one thought that I was making fun of the Westin. We stayed there on our first visit and I have fond memories. I just wanted to make sure that Westin goers who might find interlopers feigning guesthood untoward, know that we not completely without shame.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I am loving your trip report. The pictures and commentary are awesome. Keep them coming please- but be sure not to interfere with play time. Thanks! :D
Maryanne

Post by Maryanne »

I love that first photo of the Gallows pool, all bright and turquoise amidst the approaching rain. It reminds me of a Barbie toy, or those things we used to keep tiny pet turtles (now illegal) in as children..
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

I can totally relate to your pillow affliction...I am the same way!

We just returned on Saturday and I am most envious of you.

Enjoy, in a BIG way!

Lisa
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
decosuz

Post by decosuz »

It all sounds (and looks!) so wonderful! It seems like you are really enjoying the time with your boys! I can't wait until it's my turn.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Thanks for taking time to post! I'm totally enjoying your reports! The water at Salomon looks incredible! My favorite beach! 8)
Cid

Post by Cid »

Excellent posts! Thanks for sharing your trip and the great pictures! Our honeymoon is at the end of May. I find myself drooling at the pics as I look out the window and watch it snow :( . Thanks...
Still waiting to return to St. John!
http://facebook.com/cidsinclair
[/url]
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Cid, congratulations on your upcoming marriage. Highly underrated institution I always say. Don't lament the snow and ice either because it just makes it soooo much sweeter when you do arrive here.

I'm so glad that you folks are still enjoying the report. I can tend to run on. I really don't feel any pressure to post at all, especially since the wifi works from the balcony, I have a great cuppa joe, and the boys are chillin with their books and music. I'm finding it all tremendously enjoyable..

Around 4 this morning I woke up briefly and noticed what appeared to be a huge spotlight over STT. The full moon was high over STT and beginning to set. It cast the most beautiful reflection on the water and palm trees. Not having a tripod and not wanting to wake the kids, I didn't break out the camera, but I may try to catch it tonight. Apparently there is a lunar eclipse tonight. Depending on the timing we might just catch it.

No idea where today will lead.

lavender

Post by lavender »

Thank you so much for your great live trip report....it is great to see things through your eyes especially from here in Western NY state where our weather is it's usual crappy self!! We are heading to Fla on Saturday and I am longing to feel that sunshine on my face but oh it is not the same as that beautiful island of St John. Thanks again!
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Thanks Agent, for sharing your trip with us. It's so much fun to follow!

It's hard to beat that picture of Trunk, even if you have seen hundreds of the same picture. Still beautiful and I have a Trunk photo as my desktop background.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

More great pictures and commentary! I would love to see the moon shot if you can get one. I'm going out with my camera tonight too, but somehow I think your view is going to be a lot more attractive.

I hope you had another fun day today!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
laxcat

Post by laxcat »

Great reports. Thanks so much for making me feel like I am there.
Rachelle & Joe

trip report

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

Great Fun report!! & Pic's! can't wait to get back on STJ in May!!!! Great Job!!!
theoverman

Post by theoverman »

nice pics and eloquent commentary, much appreciated.