So Good, So Good, So Good! Realtime trip report

Travel discussion for St. John
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Gonna miss these reports :D Thats a bunch of goats makes me want some curry goat yum!
Kathyzhere

Post by Kathyzhere »

Hey there 99...Just want to thank-you lots for sharing your most wonderful vacation with the family! I read every post and loved the photos...thanks again!
No good-byes 99...only see ya's later :wink:

Kathy
AnyTing

Post by AnyTing »

Looks like you have put the 10-22mm to good use! I'm glad you like it. It has quickly become my favorite lens.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thanks so much every one of you who have made such kind comments. It has really been a pleasure to write and after the last entry I'll print a copy for our memory box. I get a little teary when I realize how quickly it all goes by. The boys are growing up so fast that I treasure every minute that we can spend together. It is a tremendous blessing that we are able to bring them to this beautiful and special place.

Most of today we spent at Gibney again. The guys always build a fort under the trees:

I did pick up an inexpensive 35mm camera with a casing that is a step up from the disposable ones. We haven't found the octopus, but will give it one final go. If the turtle shots come out ok, I'll post them too. This mac photo stuff may be able to help with that. It's been so fun sharing this with you all. Thanks again for your company. I'll add some final notes when we get home.

So it's not goodbye then. Just see ya later!

99 out.

Last edited by Agent99 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

So much fun to read this every day...I actually count how many days since we left STJ....9 days ago! It is so sad, but there's always next time.

Safe travels to you all......
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Cool fort! I like Gibney too. I guess that is the "hippie" in me coming out. :lol:
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I think we are all as sad as you to see you leave. Who will send us pics????
Thanks for taking the time.
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

What a wonderful ending to your trip... love the forts! Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing all of your experiences thoughout! Have a safe trip home!
Image[/url]
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Great reports and pix, Thanks for letting us enjoy your vacation too. Have a safe trip home.
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

We are going to miss your reports. :cry:

THANKS !!!
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Wonderful! I enjoyed every minute of living vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing!!!
CruzBayB

Post by CruzBayB »

I have been away from the Forum for a couple of weeks due to computer problems so today was my first day back and I read your trip report all in one sitting and it was a WONDERFUL re-introduction to why this was one of the first websites I saved into my favorites as soon as I got my new computer all set up! Great pictures and so fun to tag along on your trip... I felt like I was along for the ride with you! Thanks for sharing...
"By the time we hit Miami, the cell phones will ring and life as we know it will draw us back in, so tonight we will just continue to soak in the sounds, the sights, the tastes and the feelings of St. John."
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

So I made this great slideshow for you with my new Mac and set it to the Get Smart music, now I can't quite figure out how to share it. In the meantime:

I'm so glad you all saw our departure sandscript!

As you know, we took the 7:15am ferry to Charlotte Amalie. The sunrise over the island as we pulled away was heartbreakingly beautiful.

Tyrone, one of the many licenced cab drivers at the ferry dock held our luggage for us and agreed to meet us back at the ferry dock at 10:00 to take us to the airport. This sounds risky but the cab drivers there are extremely reputable and they do this all the time. We've never had a problem in all of our visits.

We have a tradition of having our last breakfast at Gladys's Restaurant just a few blocks from the ferry dock. I love the lady there who sings along with Billie Holiday as she pours the coffee and arranges the flowers for each table.

With about an hour to spare we just walked around the beautiful historic area and soon it was time to meet Tyrone.

A couple final thoughts. When I was little my family lived in Northeast PA. Every June we'd go to Ocean City, NJ. for a vacation. I have such sweet memories of those trips. When we finally reached the shore my dad would tell us to roll down the car windows so that we could smell the salt air and hear the gulls. I can still hear my little brother, then 2 or 3....now 37 making fire engine noises and humming the theme song to Emergency, his favorite show, while he played in the sand. I can still smell the creosote on the wood pillars of the boardwalk. I remember renting bikes to ride the boardwalk and playing miniture golf with my family at night. I wished that I could freeze time. Those sweet memories are burned into my heart. Even though I live at the coast now I still get flashblacks of Ocean City when the sea air smells just like it did when we opened the windows for the first time.

That's what I want for my kids. I want them to have flashbacks of little insignificant moments of chldhood that make them feel blessed. I hope they remember the sounds of the peepers, feeding the banaquits, playing 20 questions on the beach and giggling hysterically at something totally silly while we were on vacation together with no work, no school, no chores and no schedules. I still wish I could freeze time, or maybe just fast forward and rewind as desired. Maybe I'll ask the Tooth Fairy to see what she can do.

Thanks again for reading along. You folks made it really fun to share.
Last edited by Agent99 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Welcome home 99! I just loved being along on your trip! And your sandscript "99 out" was so "Seacrest!" :lol: :lol: Maybe you can be the next Idol host - LOL!

I agree with you about freezing moments in time. But since we can't, I guess we just have to keep making current moments as much as possible!

Thanks again for a wonderful report!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

"That's what I want for my kids. I want them to have flashbacks of little insignificant moments of chldhood that make them feel blessed. I hope they remember the sounds of the peepers, feeding the banaquits, playing 20 questions on the beach and giggling hysterically at something totally silly while we were on vacation together with no work, no school, no chores and no schedules. "

You've done that and more!!! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.