trip report- long

Travel discussion for St. John
hlsess

trip report- long

Post by hlsess »

St. John- 3/15-3/20
Sat- March 15 Mom, me and the 2 teens 13(picky eater) and 15 arrived on Sat at 3 to the airport via Delta nonstop from ATL- we left ATL at 11- 40 minutes late due to change in runways from wind- tornado hit Atl the night before- - airport was very crowded but I was prepared -we got bags and got in taxi by 2:40 and were at the CA ferry at 3 and made it- it left about 3:15- Gallows was waiting on us- check in was a breeze-kids got snorkels from Every ting- $7/day and snorkeled( saw Fred the barracuda) while we unpacked and looked over map- we headed to Banana Deck around 6:30 and had a good dinner- great conch fritters- I had the seafood platter which was good-we headed back and went to bed early

Sun- March 16-my birthday- What a wonderful view!!! We ate breakfast in as we did each day-not big breakfast eaters- and headed to Caneel to check it out which wasn't that great- we felt uncomfortable since we weren't staying there- but the kids saw a big starfish out front- we left there and ate in town at High Tide- right by the ferry- 15 yo daughter bought a cover-up at Low key- expensive but she loved it-then we walked around and bought sunglasses and a hat for 13 yo son- and some earrings at Freebird- all very reasonable-we have reservations at 2:30 to go on a snorkel/sunset sail- but Trevor meant to tell me 12:30 not 2:30 so we just went out to Henley and over to Congo Cay- great snorkeling- the sunset back was magnificent- Mom opted out since it was raining when we left-ended up being very nice around 4:00- we went to zozo's for a 7:45 sating and it was delicious- I had the rib eye which was very big and mom and daughter had the lobster- said it was OK- the waiters told my daughter about a band playing at Larry's Landing- she looks a lot older than 15- so we walked down there and it seemed like a lot of locals- didn't even go in- went to Beach Bar instead home by 10

Mon- March 17- headed to Trunk Bay around 9:45- seemed busy which we expected but we signed up for snuba at 11- they swam out to the snorkel trail and liked it Mom and I sat on beach- then we did the Snuba- just the 3 of us with him- they really liked it but I think I am a little Closter phobic b/c I couldn't get my ears to pop- he thinks I just didn't want to go that far down- but I could see plenty form up where I was- It is very neat!! We got back at 1 and had lunch there- so-so- $25 for 4- and then left- cars were parked up and down the rode leaving Trunk- went back to Gallows Point and read by the pool- it was hot and gorgeous this day- also got in hammock for a bit- we went to Lime inn tonight and I had the shrimp Dijon-very good- daughter had the steamed shrimp-mom had the grouper- all very good-the picky eater went for a grilled cheese- and then ice cream in town-there was music playing at high Tide but we headed home

Tues March 18- met Flyaway Charters at dock around 8:30- we headed to Foxy's to meet friends coming from STT- they pulled up right after us-we checked in and headed to Sandy spit- but there were black clouds lurking overhead so we waited about 30 minutes then headed to Indians/caves- too rough- - ride over was VERY rough- needed up at Willy T's around 12:15 and had fun- food and drinks were had by all and even a little jumping off the boat by a few ,young and old-and guess who spotted me there with the grandma jumping over 4 boats to get to Willy T's- Rick G and he came up to get a pic of me jumping off for my FREE tshirt- no Way!!! we then headed back to the Indians- much calmer now- and then to Booby Rock and Kettle Bay- beautiful part of the island- headed back around 4 to check back in- home by 5- called Ronnie's about delivering pizza- no delivery tonight so we decided to try Cafe Roma- got there at 6:20 and it was full but we sat down around 6:50- we got pizzas and mom got puttanesca?sp- service was TERRIBLE- there were so many takeout pizzas and only 1 over- at least that's what they said- there were bring free drinks to us by the end- I was so tired I didn't even want one-

Wed March 19- I had planned a tour with Pam but the kids were tired and didn't want to do a 4 hour tour so I called her the night before- I don't thinks he was too happy but she didn't have a cancellation policy- the kids went over to the Ritz where our friends were staying while we shopped at Mongoose Junction- then we went over on the 12 noon ferry and had lunch with our friends-very good- very nice place- then we came back on the 5:00 ferry- had dinner at Paradiso -very good then daughter and I went to the Beach Bar for the Blues band- we were tired so went home around 9:30 but could hear them loud and clear from Gallows

Thursday- we have to leave on the 11:15 ferry- checkout was a breeze but a lot were heading out so we headed down to the fery around 10:30 and I went to deli Grotto and picked up sandwiches- we got to airport and in Delta's line at 12:30- only about 5 groups in front of us- then we got in the customs line- longer and then the security line- what a night mare it took about 1:15 minutes - we found a seat - and then got the bad news that the flight was an hour late- I had already looked online and learned that we would be stopping for fuel somewhere since STT was low on fuel- the stewardesses even said it was very unusual- so we leave at 3:40- arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 6:30 and then to ATL at 8:55-2 hours late on our expensive nonstop flight(way to go delta)- we then wait for 1 hour to get our bags- no bags ever and I ask and the guy says Oh they are over on the wall- and then another Delta guy was so rude when we asked why they were over there- he told us "get out of here , girls"- we got a taxi to our car b/c we didn't see the hotel shuttle and finally walked in door at 11:45

Overall- we all loved St. John. As you can tell we are not the big adventurous type. We loved the views and people there are so nice. Shopping was reasonable- we didn't buy alot- we didn't see as much as we could have but maybe we'll go back and do more- I really enjoyed this trip and all of the help from these boards
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Sounds like an action packed trip! I'm glad you had fun. Sorry about the flight home though.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Robin in NC

Post by Robin in NC »

So you stiffed Pam, who depends on tourists for her living, and it was okay because your kids were tired (though not too tired apparently to have a full day on STT) and she doesn't have a cancellation policy? Don't you think you have at least some obligation to pay her a kill fee? I think that was totally irresponsible on your part.

And, while I'm in a mood, would everybody stop putting "long" after your trip report listing? If it's a trip report, it's going to be long. If it isn't long, it isn't much of a trip report.

I know this is snippy, and I mostly apologize.

Robin
ATG

Post by ATG »

Hey hlsess,
Um, when you were checking into Gallows, did you notice a very wet, tired looking couple behind you waiting to check in? We were changing accomodations on Sat 3/15 and could not check into Gallows until after 3. We left our bags at Gallows and spent the day at Trunk, where it proceeded to rain on us! And the taxi ride back was even wetter (I've never been so cold and wet in St. John!). Anyway,from your description of your family, I think you were the people in front of us checking in! What a small world :o
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Thanks for the report :D :D
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

atg- yes- I do recall some wet folks checking in- it was quite wet that day- did you like Gallows?

Robin in nC- I would have been more happy to pay Pam but there was no policy- I am sure we weren't the first to stiff her
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Great report - thanks! (yup, I know - gotta start working on mine...)
ATG wrote: We left our bags at Gallows and spent the day at Trunk, where it proceeded to rain on us! And the taxi ride back was even wetter (I've never been so cold and wet in St. John!). Anyway,from your description of your family, I think you were the people in front of us checking in! What a small world :o
We were at Skinny's when the sky opened up on Saturday.
I remember thinking: (a) Really glad we're not on the boat in this weather
and: (b) This burger is SO good!
vacationpants

Post by vacationpants »

I want to ask about the snuba - we will be there in June w/ our 16 yr old son and 20 yr old daughter, our son really wants to do a lot of snorkeling - do you think he would enjoy the snuba? how long is the instructions and how long do you actually get to venture out in the water? Do you walk on the bottom? or do you swim? What gets/keeps you down under the water? Do they do it with a group of other people? Besides this we have a full day sail w/ the wayward sailor and we are planning on doing the dinghy rental for a day. Thanks for your help.
hlsess

Post by hlsess »

you are only underwater about 30 minutes-my kids loved it- i did not- if they like to snorkel they'll love it- they teach you beforehand all about how to stay under etc- I had a problem keeping my ears popped so I followed along higher up- they also take a bunch of pics - you can see them on their site- www.visnuba.com we also took a boat out for snorkeling -it's fun but I could have done w/out it
XOXO

Snuba

Post by XOXO »

Do you walk on the bottom? or do you swim? What gets/keeps you down under the water? Do they do it with a group of other people?

Vacationpants: We did the snuba with VI SNUBA while we were in St. John. We enjoyed it a lot. We felt like we were gliding through the water. Because the water is so clear in St. John I do not believe you will see anything that you cannot see from the top. It is something to be done for the experience and getting closer, in my opinion. We have done snuba at other destinations and feel the instruction was best with VI Snuba. We would do it again but now we are leaning more toward learning to scuba dive.

To specifically answer your questions: With snuba we did not walk on the bottom but swam. How you get to the bottom is using your breath--letting air in and out of your lungs will control how deep or shallow you are in the water. Our group had 6 people--there were 2 others who went with our group.

hlsess: I will be back with comments on your trip!

Gina
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Hlsess: I have a few questions based on some of your pre-trip planning and your trip report.

Did you end up doing carry-on only??

Did your kids snorkel right off the Gallows?? How was the Gallows for accommodations?? Was it crowded for you and the two teens in the room?? Could you have done any of your cooking if you chose to?? Was there a grill?? Did you use the pool?

How did you like your birthday sail?? It is too bad about the miscommunication with Trevor and you missed out on a couple of hours. I think you were really fortunate that you found him there after not being on time. It is too bad that your Mom didn’t go!!

I am disappointed that you missed the tour with Pam. I think you would have enjoyed and you would have felt more connected with St. John. No worries, you can do that next time.

I thought of you when I read the thread here about the high tides. You mentioned it being rough on your day to Foxy’s, etc. , but is that all you noticed?? I saw the pictures and I was shocked!

Did you take many pictures?? How did your Mom do?? I imagine the flight home wasn’t easy on her. I hope you all had an enjoyable trip. I know you did a lot of research!!

Gina
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

Robin in NC wrote:So you stiffed Pam, who depends on tourists for her living
Actually, Pam does other things to make an actual living, this is just a side thing for her. She books only one tour a week, to make sure she keeps it fresh and fun for her guests and for herself. In other words, she may have turned other people away.
I'm sure the original poster didn't think of this, but perhaps future travelers will consider it.
It's too bad hlsess and the kids missed out. Pam is a wealth of information and a truly enthusiastic person. I bet they would have loved it.
-Ruth
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Thanks Ruth, I was just going to post the same thing.

But I think that the report further proves my point: Don't plan every day of your trip, you will end up really tired and miserable. :D
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Actually, Pam does other things to make an actual living, this is just a side thing for her.
Ruth, I PMed the same thing to the OP. I am so grateful that we got to take the day tour with Pam. I cannot tell people, who are planning their first trip to St. John, strongly enough to book a day tour with Pam. We really really feel so connected with St. John and, I believe, that is, in part, due to Pam. She tought us how to navigate the island, about the locals and history, her history and what brought her to St. John. She introduced us to locals. Because of Pam we had all of our questions answered and felt very safe.

Anyway, I don't want to scold the OP. I understand how and why she felt the need to cancel. I just want to say that the OP missed out and that Pam didn't rely on her tour at all. AND for others IF you have an opportunity to spend the day with Pam do it!!

Additionally, I would love to find someone just like Pam on each and every trip we take.

Gina