Day Boat Trip to BVIs

Travel discussion for St. John
Neeners

Day Boat Trip to BVIs

Post by Neeners »

There will be four of us going to STJ in fiveish weeks, and we'd like to do a day snorkel trip. We've only been to STJ once, last year, and loved it. We did go to Jost last year, via the ferry. This time we'd like to do a snorkel trip that includes Jost, as well. It looks like some of the companies require you to rent the whole boat and do not mix groups. Unfortunately since our group is small, that more than likely won't work for us price wise.

I was hoping you all had recommendations on companies that mix groups, but aren't really 'cattle boats'. We want to show our friends Jost, but would also like to hit some fun snorkel sites.

Thanks in advance for your help!
sillymom

Post by sillymom »

We will be there next week ,and like you did the Jost trip via ferry last yr. This year we looked and looked for something that would not cost us a fortune to go over again. There is 7 of us going and we have booked a boat with captain from Ocean Runner . We get to plan our trip for the day . We have the boat to ourselves too. Cost us about half of what a big charter boat would carrying several other people.They have been very helpful and nice planning this over the phone. They also suggested some places for snorkeling. Hope this helps and here is their website.

http://www.oceanrunnerusvi.com/
Neeners

Post by Neeners »

Thank you very much, sillymom. This is very helpful :D I'm so envious that you get to go next week (the waiting is the hardest part!). Can't wait to hear about your trip. Have a wonderful time!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Try www.lionindasun.com. I thought their price was reasonable. Matt or Josh will take you snorkeling and to Jost or anywhere you want but the further you go, the more it cost because of the gas.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We LOVE Palm Tree Charters. It was just the 4 of us and we got to choose exactly what we wanted to do. We did a little snorkeling, a little exploring, and some drinking on Jost.
I have to say that I was worried that it was a little more than we budgeted for, but it was worth every penny.
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

I second Palm Tree Charters. You'll have a good time and get your money's worth!
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
benchill

Post by benchill »

There's a catch on Ocean Runner. If you take a captain, you can only have six passengers. It's not Ocean Runner's rules but the Coast Guards. Six is max.

If you have the seventh, you have to have a Coast Guard Certified boat with a captain. If you forgo the captain, you can take the max the boat will hold.

Reason I know this, is that I am on island right now, trying to figure out how to get 9 to Jost....storm allowing. There is one brewing in the lesser antilles that has an early path heading this way.
Ben and Lynn
sillymom

Post by sillymom »

I spoke with the guy at Ocean Runner and explained we had 7 plus there would be a captain. That is why I booked it because everywhere else it was 7 max. I sure hope I dont run into any problems.
benchill

Post by benchill »

Interesting. I will confirm for you tomorrow. We rented the 28' for wednesday morning. Will post back later.
Ben and Lynn
sillymom

Post by sillymom »

Thanks for checking . I would be so disappointed to get there and find out we could not go. Hope you have a great day !!

Noel
Sleehog

Post by Sleehog »

We have used Ocean Runner twice in the past. Both times we had seven people in our party and used a captain (8 total people on the boat).

One year we did the "standard Norman-Jost loop." This included the caves and a large amount of time on Jost.

Last year we did The Baths and Jost. That was probably too much for one day and burned a heck of a lot of gas. It was great to see the Baths but we should have not tried to also hit Jost. We still had a great day though for sure!

This year we only had 6 so we were able to go with Lion in Da Sun. I will get a trip report together soon - but I will say we had a great day with Capt Josh!! I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone and we will definitely use them again when we return to STJ. We did the Indians, Caves, Willy T for lunch (and jump), Sandy Spit, Foxy's and then over to Soggy Dollar. This was a great trip!!
sillymom

Post by sillymom »

Thanks for the information ,I was beginning to worry . We are doign the trip to the indians,Soggy dollar and Foxys as you mentioned. Last year we just went to the Jost ,so kinda excited to see more this year. I wont be doing any jumping at Willy T's ,well I hope not ....lol

Noel