So will we need a Taxi?

Travel discussion for St. John
Lumiere

So will we need a Taxi?

Post by Lumiere »

We are staying in a Villa and have been told there will be someone at the airport to meet us??? Or will they meet us in STJ at the ferry??? Hmmm, me thinks I better call and find out!!!!!!!!! ...but do we still need a Taxi or will the Villa rep. take care of that??? We are renting a car in STJ, will the villa rep person take us? What has been your experience w/these types of situation?

TIA!
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

The Villa reps meet you in St John, at the ferry ( people or car depending on you method of arrival)They lead you up to your villa. You will need a cab from the airport to the ferry dock
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

When you get off the plane and collect your luggage you will need to take a taxi to the ferry dock. You have a couple of options. You can proceed to the taxi stand and be put into a taxi with others or you can reserve a private taxi ahead of time. The cost does vary. I am not sure what the standard rate to red hook is, but a private taxi will cost $20 to $25 pp depending on the number pf people in your party.

There are pros and cons to both. A private taxi is more expensive but you get to go directly to red hook and have a driver that will talk to you about the island, etc.
Just getting into a dispatched taxi will be cheaper but there is a chance that you will make a few stops on the way and it make take you longer to get to th ferry, so depending on what time you land, you may have to wait for the next boat.
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

I am sure the villa rep will give you all the info, but you need to call them when you get to STT so that they know what time you will be taking the ferry over.
They will meet you and take you to get your car and then you will follow them to your villa. It's all very simple.
cass

Post by cass »

I stayed two days on St. Thomas before heading over to St. John. I called my villa rep. the last day on STT and told her which ferry I was taking the next day. When we arrived, nobody was there to greet us. We had never been before, so we just hauled our luggage across the street, grabbed a table at JJ's and had a drink. We finally decided we had better call - no answer! We called the car rental place, and a guy answered and said "you're lucky you caught me, we decided to close today!' He came and picked one of us up, she drove him back then came and got me. We found the villa office and the caretaker was there waiting for us. (the car rental place had left a note in the window of the Vitran that had our names on it, and it said the keys were in the visor).

It got all messed up, but we didn't care! If it gets messed up, don't worry. I think my experience was rare.
jostuandme

Post by jostuandme »

Could some of you list private cabs that you have used, approximate price and contact info. Thanks!
pjayer

Post by pjayer »

jostuandme wrote:Could some of you list private cabs that you have used, approximate price and contact info. Thanks!
We used Rachel and her number is 340 771 2986. She's a friend of Xislandgirl (Dominica). As XIG says above, the cost is $20 to $25 per person depending on the number of people in your party plus tip. Just call her, give her your flight information, and she'll be waiting for you at the airport with a sign and a big smile. :D

She got us from the airport to the Red Hook ferry on a Saturday in one hour. We were impressed!
When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else. – Mark Twain
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am biased, but I love Rachel and would not recommend any one else! :lol:
Lumiere

Post by Lumiere »

Such great info! Well at least we have options right? Thanks all!