Do you remember?

Travel discussion for St. John
DownIslandDreamer

Post by DownIslandDreamer »

Indies House Hotel up in the mountains--I still can't figure exactly where it was, or what is there now--but I spent a memorable week there between Boxing Day and New Years Eve in about 1974. Flew out in 88 degree weather and back into Philly with 24 inches of snow. Almost refused to get off the plane.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Indies House was on the present Magens Pt. resort and Indigo restaurant.
USVISuzyQ

Post by USVISuzyQ »

The Lobster Hut on STJ.
This thread takes me back to the good old days...
:lol:
Sue
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Jimmy would be proud - we're all jumping right up here and showing our age :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
USVISuzyQ

Post by USVISuzyQ »

I remember that on my first visit to STT, i drove up to the old Mountain Top, before maps had road names and numbers, heck there weren't even any Mountain Top signs. Just kept turning on roads that went up and drove right to it. The bartender was shocked that a cabbie didn't bring us and gave us free drinks LOL. :twisted:

Sue
Schultz

Post by Schultz »

How about Harry S. Truman airport with quonset huts for buildings.

Zorba's on Government Hill which then became Marisol.

When Secret Harbour was two seperate resorts, one on the hill and one on the beach.

Dssert souffles at Hotel 1829

Fiddle Leaf once it moved downtown.

Stouffers, I mean Renaissance, I mean Grand Resorts, I mean when there was actually a resort open there.

Schultz
bag

Post by bag »

When the Virgin Grand was on Saint Thomas and the Baby Grand on Saint John.

The wind surfers every Sunday at the site of the Ritz.

The hotel in that area that was partially built and then dismantled by vandals.

Ten years from now we will be saying - "Remember when there were barkers drawing you into the downtown shops."

I only remember it happening once and it was in May of 1996. Main Street was closed off on a Friday night and the stores set up tables along with crafters. It had a real party feel.
papabou

Post by papabou »

it was the holiday inn resort at frenchmen's reef and jelly's restuarant at the sub base had a large lobster pond in the middle of the lobby. oh yeah, you could charter sail boats at the sheraton that was on the water were ch amalie harbor turns back to the south east toward the cruise ship docks and of course the half sunken cruise ship that burned at the dock.

papabou
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Nannerz wrote:I was there when Grumpy's was still around..
when the Beach Bar was Pussers and
there was a popular Mexican restaurant in Coral Bay (the name escapes me)
The Westin was the Hyatt...
I think John Bon Jovi was the only musician in Peter Bay...
I remember most of this (circa 1995)...

Don Carlos was the name of the Mexican restaurant in Coral Bay - I especially remember the goldfish bowl-sized margaritas (yikes!)
I miss Pussers, especially the Crow's Nest
The Hyatt was pre-Marilyn
Bon Jovi was in Peter Bay??? Guess I missed that part :?
Lex

Post by Lex »

Schultz' post reminded me of the old airport. It really had the feel of an airport in a third world country.

I also remember the ferry dock on STJ when it was just a concrete pier without the terminal building.

And I remember when Skinnylegs was Redbeard's and Morgans Mango was World Headquarters. And there was The Kite and the Sea Breeze and the Dockside. Like Grumpy's, The Kite burned. It was on the hillside above Peter Bay, which was nothing like it is today. The era of the huge villa construction hadn't started yet. People were still staying in simple West Indian-style cottages. The Sea Breeze seemed full of Coral Bay pirates. I don't know if it closed because they went away or they went away because it closed. I suppose it was just that the times changed.

Fred's, of course, was Fred's and IV played there regularly because they hadn't started leaving the island to tour. Mooie's and the Sputnik, of course, were there looking pretty much as they do today.

I remember the Back Yard and there was a local restaurant, called Mrs. Maeda's. I can't quite remember how it was all configured, but I do remember the lovely woman who's now my wife and I having dinner up on the roof.

They're sweet memories.