Travel discussion for St. John
Pia

Post by Pia »

Yes it's always interesting to hear what "management" is saying :wink:

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I appreciate the fragile nature of the economy in general and STJ economy specifically. I have to admit that the restaurant industry is lower on my priorities than most other aspects of STJ. I only have so much money to spend. I have to feed the airline,rent car, gasoline, villa and other segments of the STJ market before I can even get to a restaurant. I want to control cost where I can. If the choice is make our own dinner for two at the villa for $10 to $20 or spend $50 to $75 at one of these excellent restaurants, I need to go with the lesser cost some of the time.

Earlier this year we were there for 9 dinners. We cooked six and went out for three. I think we ate all of our lunches out. Breakfast was about a 50/50 deal including the Donkey Dinner.

Some people have to make a choice of going to STJ and eating in or staying in the states and eating in restaurants. I prefer to spur part of the STJ economy rather than none.

Having said all of that, let me be clear. I hope that all of them survive this situation and thrive in the future. Best of luck to all of our friends and hosts on STJ. :)

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

In my area, newer establishments that were more about the atmosphere than the food are closing left and right. No surprise there.

My cousin owns a bar/restaurant and he is doing well. It is a causal place and he really focuses on food quality. Nothing fancy but what he puts out is the best it can be. The strong booze sales are definately helping.

The established fine dining places are holding their own. I suspect that is do to their strong local following and consistantly great food and service.

I have noticed that the smaller independent causal places seem to be moving toward longer hours and better (as well as cheaper) offerings. There is a brew pub in the area that has a strong regional following and their operations seemed to lean towards the owner's convenience. The new kitchen hours are definately more customer friendly. Before they only served food from 5pm to 9pm. Now, the kitchen is open all day on the weekends and I have to think it is because they need to keep cash flow rolling.

I noticed several national causal chains shut down over the past six months, which did surprise me.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

We have cut back eating out; at home and on vacation.

One reason is that it is just too darn expensive and it is very hard to get good service these days (this coming from a 20+ year veteran of the restaurant business)
The other reason is that I enjoy cooking and I think that both Chip and I are pretty darn good at it.I can get a great piece of tuna and make a complete meal for the both of us that is better than we can get in a restaurant and 1/4 of the price.

Go out for us is a treat, and I like it that way.

When we are on vacation, we eat out a lot, but we also eat in or pack lunch for the beach.
After a long day at the beach or on a boat, I enjoy spending time with my husband and friends in the kitchen.

I certainly do not wish any small business to fail, at home or on STJ, but this economy has been tough on everyone and unless these restaurants adjust their menu and prices to take that into account, they will be hitting a pretty rough patch. I certainly do not want to eat at a fine dining restaurant every night on STJ. Those that have the most competition need to step up their game, in my opinion.
Cindy in pa

Post by Cindy in pa »

This is to reaffirm my previous post that Cloe's has only closed for a short time and will reopen soon. Asolare, Paradiso and The Balcony are all open for business and are hoping all will come for fabulous food and drink.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Well, I just got off the phone with Chloe and Bernards (actually the phone has been forwarded to another number) and was told they (C&B) are now closed until further notice but they hope to reopen but they do not know if or when.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
dctac

Post by dctac »

The suspense is killing me........
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Cindy in pa wrote:This is to reaffirm my previous post that Cloe's has only closed for a short time and will reopen soon. Asolare, Paradiso and The Balcony are all open for business and are hoping all will come for fabulous food and drink.

I received an email from someone that works at Chloe and Bernard's and they were told that they should look for another job.

With all due respect Cindy, I don't think you are getting very accurate information.
Cindy in pa

Post by Cindy in pa »

Depends on who you choose to believe -
The CEO of the restaurants or a disgruntled employee.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Cindy, what is your affiliation with those restaurants? Those were the exact four restaurants you advised me to go to on our arrival day on St John.
Going "home" again October 26th!
Cindy in pa

Post by Cindy in pa »

Just a good friend of the management. They are struggling like everyone else.

They are coming up with specials to make prices more reasonable such as half price apps
at Paradiso and half meal portions at a lower cost at The Balcony.

Why make people worry about their fav. restaurant closing when it isn't true.

So what I would do Brenda is call The Balcony the week before ur trip and you will know for sure.
As I said before the food is delicious there.
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

It would be devastating to lose all 4 restaurants at once. I do eat out a lot on vacation, and one of the things I like about Cruz Bay is the nice variety of restaurants at a number of price levels. Asolare and The Balcony both have a unique settings and would be a terrible loss. Paradiso has a beautiful setting as well.

Having said all that, and as much as I wish it weren't true, the upper-end dining market in St. John may be too crowded for today's economy---its hard to see how ZoZo's, Waterfront Bistro, Asolare, La Tapa, Hinds, The Balcony, Paradiso and Ocean Grill---can all survive serving $35-$45 entrees. I know we're planning on eating at more of the moderate choices (Lime Inn, RhumbLines, Morgan's Mango) on our next trip.

Chloe and Bernard's is a bit of a different story for me. To me, the place just unavoidably screams "hotel restaurant" given that its in a hotel lobby. If I were running the Westin I would use that space for parties and move the nicer, independent restaurant to The Beach Cafe (currently a great setting spoiled by lousy Westin food and chain-looking decor), and make it look as independent as possible (Havana Blue in St. Thomas is a good example).

I wish the best to both the owners and the employees.
---Jim
madelon

Stone Terrace

Post by madelon »

Anthony and friends,
Just a note to confirm that Stone Terrace has been leased. Please contact the new owner for information on new name and food concept.
Lonnie
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks madelon. The Stone Terrace has a wonderful location and I think a midpriced Mexican restaurant, if its good, will be very popular in that spot. It may be a while before I quit calling it "The Stone Terrace" though:)
---Jim
mit43

Post by mit43 »

I think this will be a reality check for many of the Restaurants on STJ. Most visitors are not going to go to the very expensive places as much as we used to.

We also adjusted our spending while on the Island. We took advantage of the less expensive places and all the specials. We just can't justify spending over $30 for each entree at this time. We did spend quite a bit on one meal, but the rest were more conservative. We loved the happy hour specials at The Balcony and La Plancha del Mar.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!