Where IS everybody???

Travel discussion for St. John
lprof

Re: Where IS everybody???

Post by lprof »

seagrape wrote:I don't know if it's kosher to provide link on this site. It is construction, however. It's under the name of our cottage. I need to contact Anthony about advertising the new house on this site upon completion. We're working on the blog as we speak. BTW, 36 more days for us. It's a balmy 12 degrees here.
I am fairly sure that it is kosher to provide your building blog link in the context of a thread such as this; just don't place a link URL in your signature line.

http://www.anchorageaweigh.com/villa/
... no longer a stranger to paradise
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

where is your house located? We have a lot on seagrape hill 13 years and still no house!! Enjoy your trip. this site was a lot more lively years ago before the spam ads started showing up..
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

Our places are just above Villa Jumbie, on the Moravian Church side of the hill. Wish I was there listening to the church bells this morning...
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

One of my most magical moments from this past trip was sitting out on the deck and listening to the Sunday morning hymns coming from the people at the Moravian Church. It was a very special moment!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

seagrape wrote:Times have changed! Where is everyone? There used to be so many posts per day. Things seem to have really slowed down. Economy? Government shutdown? How busy is the island these days? Come back! Come back! We miss everyone!
Sadly active posters has been slowly diminishing over the last few years not just here on this fourm. Times have changed technology keeps changing and I just believe the novelty has worn off. :(
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

[/quote]Sadly active posters has been slowly diminishing over the last few years not just here on this fourm. Times have changed technology keeps changing and I just believe the novelty has worn off. :([/quote]

Facebook changed a lot of the feel for this forum. Those who wanted to banter and/or be connected ended up "friending" each other there. I still read this forum, contribute when I feel it's appropriate and ask relevant questions but, the old banter is gone.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I don't have a trip planned until April. That is pretty far off for me seeing that our last trip was in February. That is the longest we have gone between trips in a very long time.
Sometimes all the trip reports and on island reports just make me jealous, so I don't post as much
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

Xislandgirl wrote:I don't have a trip planned until April. That is pretty far off for me seeing that our last trip was in February. That is the longest we have gone between trips in a very long time.
Sometimes all the trip reports and on island reports just make me jealous, so I don't post as much
We dont have plans on going back until NEXT Nov. :shock: and we havent been there since last July ...BUT I LOVE all the reports and info..It gives me a bit o the "Island fix" I need. Also I am very happy for the ones that are able to go, and like to show support and appreciation of their sharing their enjoyment, as I like to have others of mine when I am there. It makes it even more fun when you can share it all! :wink:
BetsyV

northerngal

Post by northerngal »

I agree! We will be there in January and I'm scouring this daily with not too much new happening on here.....miss it! When we took our last trips there was a lot more activity.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

northerngal wrote:I agree! We will be there in January and I'm scouring this daily with not too much new happening on here.....miss it! When we took our last trips there was a lot more activity.
Northerngal, when will you be down in January? We are there (bringing a newbie friend) from 1/20-1/27, maybe if there were enough forumites there at the same time we could have a little get together at one of the bars... :D
DaveS007

Post by DaveS007 »

Facebook may be the end of forums all together. Not just this one.
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

We will be down on from Jan 20 - 30 and would LOVE to meet up with anyone! Just let me know!
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I had not replied to this post since I was away but I think the question is getting around to being answered (as I understood it): where are the people here, not where are you or when/where will you be in the VI.

Yes - Facebook, Twitter, individual blogs, TripAdvisor, etc. etc. all have made a difference here. This is definitely an evolving media. I can't say that I am not jealous of some of these technologies/sites etc. and/or that I wished I was able to offer some of the ease of use as FB, etc. but even if I could, with such a narrow focus (the VI and mostly St. John) we never were going to be able to compete on a technology basis.

That being said - I think this place will last as long as the people that make it so great (i.e. all of you) continue to come and share. Hopefully we can do some things better here and make it easier to participate. But if one day it comes to an end I will certainly "get it". The only thing that really stinks (IMHO) about the way the web is evolving is the slant to corporate sites and the user's willingness to go there. To the FBs and TripAdvisors we are all really just about the RPU (revenue per user for the un-initiated). I think that most people that come here for a while have an understanding that there is a real person on the other end of this website, and even though he has really pissed some people off over the years (oh let me count the names...), he agonized over decisions and was always trying to do what was best for the majority of people here :)
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Anthony wrote: I think that most people that come here for a while have an understanding that there is a real person on the other end of this website, and even though he has really pissed some people off over the years (oh let me count the names...), he agonized over decisions and was always trying to do what was best for the majority of people here :)
Amen. And thank you, Anthony!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Maybe the rest have fallen in love on another site.... but I have loved this site from the moment I met it.... and I'm not going anywhere!
You all better be around for me when I'm on island in 24 days at Coconuts enjoying the beautiful sunsets!! I've been around watching and drooling over all of your trips. Someone better drool all over mine!

Did I mention my daughter is an obsessed photographer and she will be on this trip? :lol: :wink: