What airlines are you using now to get to the islands

Travel discussion for St. John
Boat Drinks

Re: What airlines are you using now to get to the islands

Post by Boat Drinks »

Delta CLT to STT change in ALT $429
In the past, we have driven from CLT right past the airport to RDU to save $105pp on AA. Then we would stop in CLT each way or change in MIA.
But in our old age, we think the 2.5 hour trip is not worth the $105 x 2. If we had a larger group...maybe.
CLT is a USAir town and one of the most expensive airport in the country. And the parking which used to be the only deal there, is now a disaster.
We are trying Allegient out of Concord Regional to Sanford (Orlando) this winter, should be interesting. :wink:
kklay

Post by kklay »

Regarding the question about Spirit - I notice you are from OHIO, I am too and having tried Spirit once, I would NOT do so again. Unless you are very small individuals and that includes being pretty short - the flight is very uncomfortable. Pair that with Spirit not having any reciprical agreements with other airlines (in other words, if your Spirit flight has a mechanical issue, etc., you are stuck until the next Spirit flight that has room on it). Have you also checked into all the extra costs on Spirit? For instance, even a carry-on has a charge, or if you want to assign seats so you can travel next to each other, there is a charge. Now if I was traveling from MIAMI to STT, I would consider Spirit, if the price was much, much less than say American or Delta.

That's my 2 cents.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

We are flying out of IAD (Washington-Dulles) in August non-stop on United for 419.00, granted, Washington is a 2 hour drive for us, with Philly only being one hour, but there is no direct flights from Philly, so it's worth it to us to drive a little further and we land in STT at 12:30! 8)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Spirit can seem like a good deal but once they nickle and dime you to death their prices aren't so great. I always reserve a villa and then within 5 minutes buy our flights. A few years ago I thought I was getting a decent deal on Spirit...until they added all their extra silly fees. It wasn't a good deal anymore, but I had already reserved the villa so I needed exact dates for the flights and other airlines were more expensive for those days. Had I known in advance, I would have gone on different days with an airline that was not Spirit. The flight was miserable, they cram you into the international terminal in Fort Lauderdale that is packed like sardines with people without enough food and very long lines. Never again!

This is by far the best thing that's ever been written on Spirit here on the forum:
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... lit=spirit
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

We just booked our April 2015 flights using Orbitz and got $300 pp out of Boston..lowest fare ever for us!!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

FinsUp: Awesome deal, congratulations! What carrier, what week, and any stops? April is high demand, with New England school breaks and many villas dropping to low season, which often leads to really high airfares.

The big shift from BOS over the last few years has been American pulling out of direct STT flights, and JetBlue moving in. JB had attractive fares during that transition, but has back crept up since then. Their direct flights thin out from May through October.

All the best,

Kevin
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We are bringing friends with us this time are they are flying from Charlotte to STT non stop...they paid about 1600.00 round trip for 2 on US Air :shock: (and she still has to pay for bags and seats)...We fly Spirit, and not had any problems, dont buy seats and always get to sit next to each other and I buy a drink before I board...(knock on wood) all has gone well the last several yrs we've been flying them...I have them booked for our November trip as well we paid 527.00 for 2 round trip..so we saved almost 1100.00 over her airfare..figure if I wanted to I could check a whole lot of bags for 1100..or better yet use it for spending money....we do carry on so we don't check a bag any longer. We did the Non Stop from Clt. once or twice...but if I can save a good chunk of change I will...sometimes RDU has decent fares as well..
[/url]
kklay

Post by kklay »

JJshaw - does your $527 include the two carry-on bags? Not a bad price if it does.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

It does not include a carry on. We usually just take a backpack and a small shopping bag and thats free...you can however check a bag for 42.00 round trip ( I think thats correct) if u pay when u buy your tickets. At least that what it was to FLL for my son next week. There rates are on their website, check it to be sure
[/url]
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

I recently posted on another forum a similiar complaint about us air direct out if philly seemingly disappearing after the merger plus the fares even going by way of timbuktu seam to have doubled. We are now looking at united out of Newark or spirit out of AC rates not available yet for next June.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

We fly from DFW and I've been watching fares over the past year. They are consistently high. Usually around $700-$800 per person.. :| It's affecting our island time.
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
samoka

Post by samoka »

I booked by USAir/american for last week of Feb out of ManchesterNH for under $400 r/t. Cheapest airfare ever.
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Coconuts wrote:FinsUp: Awesome deal, congratulations! What carrier, what week, and any stops? April is high demand, with New England school breaks and many villas dropping to low season, which often leads to really high airfares.

The big shift from BOS over the last few years has been American pulling out of direct STT flights, and JetBlue moving in. JB had attractive fares during that transition, but has back crept up since then. Their direct flights thin out from May through October.

All the best,

Kevin
We are flying US Air thru Charlotte down and American with (1 stop) back the week before and including April Vacation...tried to minimize the kids absence from school but with prices like that..we're going to take them out a bit earlier than we'd planned.

In the past, we have flown American direct the last week of March but could never get pricing below $500.

I've been very disappointed with JetBlue pricing as they would be my first choice by far. When your purchase includes 5 tickets...the lower price is going to prevail! At the end of the day..it doesn't matter how we got there, 10 days on STJ is worth it :)

Good Luck with the search Kevin...I hope you're as lucky as we were!!
dctac

Post by dctac »

njsurfer wrote
recently posted on another forum a similiar complaint about us air direct out if philly seemingly disappearing after the merger plus the fares even going by way of timbuktu seam to have doubled. We are now looking at united out of Newark or spirit out of AC rates not available yet for next June..

Uggg. I hope I made the right decision... I've been flying spirit for the last 12 years! my family has grown from us and 3 kids to us and kids others and a grandbaby! We have never had a problem with spirit in all those years till two years ago we got a bit delayed. wasn't that bad. Last year they f#%*(d Up and we spent the nite in an ft lauderdale having to come home on frontier!!! So I booked USair for this Feb.... I have to pay more Drive extra hour. deal with big city 4 lane roads, uggg, but nonstop is appealing. my older son went out of philly last 2 years and said is was good..... my wife needs1 plus checked bags! but spirit was still about the same as what I paid for the kids US air with less baggage. the key to spirit is just pay for the big front seats... But after last year sleeping in airport, they do treat you like cattle........ they did offer a piece of cheese in 2 slices of bread for dinner!!!!
Ugg I hate flyin
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

Dctac did you try united out of newark seeing direct midweek for 388pp rt. For april ,did not check february. Longer drive but nonstop goid times to am going pm coming home.