Ticket concerns since merge of US Airways/ American

Travel discussion for St. John
psufan

Re: Ticket concerns since merge of US Airways/ American

Post by psufan »

So this thread has me wondering.....

Mr psufan and I were on island last week scheduled to take a US Air flight home on Saturday afternoon. Saturday morning I got up and checked the flight status. Flights were a go but there was a travel advisory issued that included our final destination - Allentown, PA. We looked at the weather and decided to be proactive and rebook our flights home since US Air was offering a one time no-charge change. (The CLT to ABE flight was eventually cancelled.) There was 1 flight option for coming home on Sunday and it was horrendous, an all day affair that had at least 2 layovers so we booked for a return yesterday. 2 extra days WooHoo! Got our accomodations settled and off to the beach we went happy about having 2 extra days in paradise. Well, got back from the beach on Saturday to discover an email from US Air saying it was time to check in to our flights leaving on Sunday! This is not what I had rebooked. Funny thing was that it wasn't the circuitous, day long ordeal that was offered when I originally rebooked for Monday. It was a late afternoon 1 layover flight on American, not US Air. I called US Air because we had already made plans for Sunday, including alternate accomodations in STT since our villa was getting new guests. At that point the Monday flight was full!!! So, spent a long time on the phone cancelling our reservation at Frenchmans Reef. I will give them a thumbs up though. We were within the no cancellation window but after some explanations they were kind enough to cancel without incurring any charges. So, we got an extra day on island but we were seriously bummed when it wasn't the 2 extra days we were so excited about! I do wonder if the merger administration had anything to do with the change. I also know there are people from NE still"stuck" on island now and wonder if the Sunday flight opened up because of other flight cancellations. Weird that they would switch us automatically though.