Where IS everybody???

Travel discussion for St. John
ArkieLovesSTJ

Re: Where IS everybody???

Post by ArkieLovesSTJ »

I agree with mnfun2bme. We read the TA forum, but this has become family. There is a difference in how people treat each other here and there seems to be a greater love for all things STJ here.

I never have experienced folks reaching out to talk directly about something we both love. In a few short months, we have met several forumites face to face and even more via PM.
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

I may have a long way to go to catch up with some of you...
BUT I am working on it..I will be posting here until it is closed down..and going on island as much as I can...too
So you poor people are just stuck with me...lol

Keep all the trip reports and photos coming...I can drool with the best of you. :mrgreen:
mnfun2bme,
Make sure you keep your daughter busy..I LOVE pictures...especially if they are of St. John. <3
BetsyV

Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I truly doubt that this forum will be closing down any time soon. Facebook has not replaced this forum for me, it is just another way to connect.

Anythony has provided us with a great platform to feed our obsession.
This platform has allowed many of us to form life long friendships that would never have happened if it were not for this tiny section of the internet.

I will never leave (unless I am kicked out) but at times, like all things, sometimes life gets in the way. Which is a good thing. :)
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Since at the time of this post there have been 2352 views and 32 posts I don't think the demise of this forum is happening anytime soon.
I'm not going anywhere, I visit here and TA a couple times a day while I look at my FB page about once a week.

I love hanging out with the fellow SJ obsessed.

BTW, thanks Anthony!
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

JWWJ - your ticker is looking mighty fine. :)
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

Yeah, about to hit single digits and i'm already at the point of being so excited it's hard to sleep at night.

24 days ain't too bad either!

We're staying for the first time at Gallows, where are your 3 generations staying?
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am still here! I don't post every day but I still read all of the trip reports (or try to) and love every one. I truly enjoy looking at everyone's pictures and hearing about people's adventures in one of my favorite places.

I also think we lost some folks after the great forum brawl of 2008 (or thereabouts) and that changed the flow of posts a bit.

This place is still pretty special for folks who love St. John. John and I are not able to travel to St. John this winter because we bought a new house and are moving and I am being treated for a serious medical issue, but once we get through all that I hope to have another trip report to share with you--maybe in April. For now I will travel vicariously through you :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

JWWJ - We are staying at Coconuts on Gift Hill. I stayed up on Gift Hill a couple years ago and couldn't believe the incredible sunset views. It was like a "gift" coming home each night to the unbelievable show that unfolded before our eyes! This will be a very special trip for me. I have always traveled with my girlfriends (a bunch of moms who met when our kids were diagnosed with autism nearly 20 years ago). However, this trip is my daughter and son-in-law's honeymoon. Since the house was big enough, we invited my parents as well. My mom has not traveled in her lifetime. She has never seen anything like St John. She grew up in Wisconsin. I am practically jumping out of my skin to be able to share my favorite place with all the people I love. My husband and I are so excited!!

Laimsaunt - Congrats on the new house!! So sorry to hear of your medical issues. I was diagnosed earlier this year with fibromyalgia and have been dealing with a bit of my own health-related issues. It's one more thing that makes us grateful to be able to do these trips while we are still able. Best of luck on your health issues and before you know it, you will be wow'ing us with your incredible pictures once again! :)
augie

Post by augie »

Some of us, er...me(!) just got busy and didn't lurk here as much as before, especially between trips.

You go through cycles where clueless newbies ask an amazing number of questions (me again!) - some pertinent, some "less so", then, after a few visits to the island and a lot of posts they are suddenly the ones answering a lot of the questions.

Then...when you make your less-frequent-than-before check ins, you see that some of the newbies that you had once helped are now answering the questions!

This place is still more of a family then either the other forums or the major social media networks and was a huge factor in our falling in love with St. John.

Just like with my "natural" family, I need to remember to visit and interact with my forum family more often.

I'll try!
Come see us!
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

mnfun2bme - That sounds like a wonderful trip! Congratulations on your daughters wedding and also getting your Mom to travel. Hope you have a great time.
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

Nice to hear from all of you!!! It's -7 now, so I'm on all of the STJ sites I can find to help me thaw. :D
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Tricia, you and Scott are going whole hog after this house thing again? I am available for hire if you need someone to supervise. lol. I guess I could feed you and the work crews. The work site is looking good, though we are waiting for more blog posts!
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

Hey Lloyd! More posts soon come! Maybe you'll have to fly down to cater another housewarming party. Paradise L&H is getting more of our money...Hope you are well!
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Sounds like a plan to me! Hope this build goes a smooth as possible for you.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I'm still here, too! :wink:

I'm with LiamsAunt….Ditto!
I am still here! I don't post every day but I still read all of the trip reports (or try to) and love every one. I truly enjoy looking at everyone's pictures and hearing about people's adventures in one of my favorite places.
So while I don't post daily, or even weekly, I read all the trip reports and catch up (binge-style) every couple of weeks! I SO appreciate everyone's advice / tips on this forum. I have learned so much from y'all. Thank you all!

Never fear - when our annual August trip gets closer, you can't PAY me to stay off the forum. :D :D :D

Happy holidays, y'all!