What are you listening to?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Hey Sherb - I was in New Orleans two weeks ago for business...GREAT CITY. A few of us escaped to Preservation Hall down near Bourbon Street and listened to some live Jazz. The place was packed...Anyway, I like Jazz before I went to NO, but now it is my 1st choice...Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong (Cabaret, Moon River, etc), John Coltrane, Pete Fountain, Sidney Bechet, etc...Now I can't get enough...I got back home to CT and called my friend who lives there...Told him about my new love/appreciation for Jazz..He said "that's what this city does to you man".

On a more sobering note...I also took the tour of the city, which took us through the lower 9th ward. Our guide was phenomenal, and what I saw really changed my perception of what went on there...Not so much the political side, because nobody's hands are clean there...but the human interest side...it was enough to make a man cry, what happened to these folks. The ninth ward is really nothing but fields now, many of the homes wiped away by a barge that tethered around there for hours. The destruction is unbelievable until you have seen it with your own eyes.

On a brighter side - the culture of that city is unmatched as far as I could tell...in my career I've had the opportunity to travel to most of the major US cities...There is a feeling in New Orleans that is unexplainable. And it has little to do with Bourbon Street...From the old Southern Mansions in the Garden District, to the Pocket Gardens in the various communitites, to the way these people honor their dead (parades through their community), to "shotgun homes"....If you build a Circle K in a neighborhood, it has to match the traditional architectural style of that neighborhood, same as a grocery store, hardware store, etc...The rich live among the middle class and poor, and vice-versa...We drove past Peyton and Eli Manning's home in the Garden District, and three or four streets over are middle class to lower middle class homes...

Just a cool place...I spent a week there and feel like I spent a month. My only regret is not getting to Frenchman Street to hit those Jazz clubs...Nextime.

Sorry for the rant...Also, if anybody wants to read a great book on Katrina, read "1 Dead in Attic"...It's a short read (350 pgs or so), but I could not put it down.

Anyway, the Jazz man...It's all about that Jazz. Can't wait to take my kids there someday just to learn. You can learn more in that city in 4 hours than you can in a week's worth of school.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Russ, your post about jazz made me laugh after I read #116 yesterday:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

:lol: :wink:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
soxfan22

Post by soxfan22 »

Too funny Teresa! I had never seen that blog before - saved it to my favorites.
July 2003 - Honeymoon at The Westin
July 2004 - Glenmar, Gifft Hill
July 2005 - Arco Iris, Fish Bay
December 2007 - Dreamcatcher, GCB
July 2008 - Ellison Villa, VGE
sherban

Post by sherban »

Teresa_Rae wrote:Russ, your post about jazz made me laugh after I read #116 yesterday:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/
:lol: :wink:
That's messed up!...funny.

I definately went through my Jazz and Blues stage...used to love the radio stations in Atlanata...some "old school stuff" there for sure. :wink:
Peace