Most Overrated / Most Underrated

Travel discussion for St. John
donkey-boy

Post by donkey-boy »

PA Girl wrote:Over Rated: donkeys and goats. At first I thought they were cute. Now, I see them as nuisance animals whose grazing contributes to soil erosion and run-off into the bays
sacrilege! blasphemy! ~db~
Last edited by donkey-boy on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loria

Post by loria »

JMQ--where is this ribs recipe?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
RickG

Post by RickG »

VickiH wrote:Excuse me. I have to go kill myself now.
Vicki, when you said that, I had this sudden image of Bill Murray singing karaoke to Roxy's Music song More Than This in Lost in Translation.

Do you have a short pink wig? Do you answer to Charlotte or Scarlett?

Where's Sofia? Where's my meds?

Cheers, RickG
Last edited by RickG on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
djmom

Post by djmom »

secret to Skinny legs:

Go there on your "Salt Pond" Days. Nothing will be better than a Skinny Legs burger after Salt Pond and hike to Drunk Bay. You won't care about flies or the potty. Actually, you will probably smell worse.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Overrated: Im bracing for the flame :-) Vie's Beach. Sorry It was stinky with lots of detrius. I just didn't get it.

Underrated: Compass Rose. I had a number of good meals, reasonably priced with great view.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

djmom wrote:secret to Skinny legs:

Go there on your "Salt Pond" Days. Nothing will be better than a Skinny Legs burger after Salt Pond and hike to Drunk Bay. You won't care about flies or the potty. Actually, you will probably smell worse.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ahhhh that explains it!!
brenda

Post by brenda »

Whew, I'm glad some people think Maho is over rated. Even the chickens don't bother me. Who was it that wrote the TR about the Reconaissance and Stealth chickens? I thought that was hilarious and had such a visual :lol: .

Over rated: Miss Lucy's. Only ate there once, maybe I should give it another chance. JJ's :shock: (Rob, do I need to start CPR? :lol: )

Vicki, Paradise Cafe is now the Surly Cantina. Pretty good Mexican food and reasonable.

Under rated: I'm with Lulu on this one. The ferry to Jost. I love doing the boat charter thing, but the ferry will do in a pinch for sure.
Going "home" again October 26th!
Joshie

Post by Joshie »

Last edited by Joshie on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
overman

Post by overman »

under-
just slowing down to soak in the island

over-
paying a lot for a boat trip away from stjohn so you can see and do things that aren't as nice as where you left from...willy t's?...c'mon, a metal tub hawking crappy food...then, i saw the hall of fame book of pics and realized we arrived about 10 hours too early for the festivities...maybe i'll give em another chance.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

djmom wrote:secret to Skinny legs:

Boy, I'm glad someone brought up the toilets at Skinny's...Nothing could smell worse than that.
During a visit 2 years ago,Amy & I took our party (a newbie couple we were hoping to impress) to Skinny's for some grub after a long day of swimming & drinking.The powder rooms were absolutely miserable! No cologne, no magazines, dimly lit,-Jeez!
Just kidding :twisted: , both toilets were backed up to the rims, and it was pretty grody. That's right, GRODY. Needless to say, us guys luckily found an alternative to using those bathrooms, but I felt terrible for the ladies in our group. Hell, all of the women at the restaurant!
I've seen enough episodes of " Shit; Septic Issues " while on Island and to let it bug me, personally, would be pointless. It's sometimes no easy fix. But as for the other couples first impression,I'm guessing that there is no actual 'rating guide.'
And that stinks!(No offense, Moe!)
I guess I'm basically giving the john's at Skinny Leg's an "overrated" vote. I know SO many people love them! :roll: Sorry so long winded, rough night at work.
Smiles-
MJ
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

brenda wrote:Over rated: Miss Lucy's. Only ate there once, maybe I should give it another chance. JJ's :shock: (Rob, do I need to start CPR? :lol: )
Nah...I'd be inclined to agree. But, for us, it just works. The beer is cold and we like the conch fritters...when they're open of course. Actually, the fritters were nasty on the 1 day we went there last summer.

I've been pondering this thread a lot and, after 2 straight trips that disappointed, I'm wondering when it comes time for me to say the following:

Over Rated: St John.

I think I need to be reborn or something for St John. 2 bad trips in a row will do that to you. Especially when the build up and planning is so much fun. Then you get there and your house is broken, your bar is closed and the weather sucks. And your friends are so beaten down that they don't want to do any exploring.
Jo Ann - VA

Post by Jo Ann - VA »

Wow Pip. Does that mean you won't be going back?
Jo Ann
Always planning the next vacation...
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I'm adding the Willy-T to my over rated category. it really is just a big metal floating tub where spring-break-ish people go to get shit faced. i can experience this anywhere. i don't need to pay charter boat to bring me there.