Meritage Villa and Villa Maria

Travel discussion for St. John
Dixie43

Meritage Villa and Villa Maria

Post by Dixie43 »

Does anyone know anything about these villas? I'm trying to decide for a July vacation.
Thanks
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Hi,
We stayed at Villa Maria 3 years ago which was our first time on the island. It is located to the left of the Westin, about a quarter of a mile down the road out on a promentory. It was a very nice villa, older, but well maintained with a lot of open covered areas. We had a lot of rain the week we were there, but were not bothered because we could eat dinner out on the deck in the rain and not get wet. The main bedroom is set apart from the rest of the house. You need to walk from the open living room outside and up about 8 steps to the bedroom. Looks like this was done after the house was built. Other bedrooms were below the main great house, and were kind of dark. The pool was a great size, and you looked out over the water. We were two couples, and had no problems. Palm Villa which is next to villa Maria was being built when we were there. Sound system goes out onto the pool and deck area. How many people are going to be staying at the villa with you?
Dixie43

Susan and Herb

Post by Dixie43 »

Thanks for replying. It will be a family of 4 and my wife and I. It looked like it might work as our bedroom will be separate from the rest of the house. The familiy of 4 will take the 2 down bedrooms. What do you think? How was the view/privacy in that master separated bedroom? I assume that you would recommend the villa?
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

As I mentioned, the master bedroom is a separate unit so you do have privacy. There are sliding doors and the foot of the bed, so your view is out over the water. We enjoyed the villa, very homey and the view out over the water is great. There are no houses to block your view. The only negative I felt was as I mentioned, the downstairs bedrooms were just O.K., but if you've got kids with you and are just using them for sleeping they are fine. At the time we were there, there was a resident cat which every renter obviously left a note to the next one to feed. Hope this info helps.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

We rented Meritage last August. It's a beautiful, older villa, with incredible views, but at the time (and I emphasize this) was not well-maintained. Apparently the property managers were not doing their job -- the stove didn't work properly, lots of little things were broken, we had a backed up toilet, etc. However, the agency took our concerns very seriously and they and the owner more than redeemed themselves in our eyes. The owner sent us a letter of apology a few weeks later, with a generous refund, and I understand he spent a lot of time there in October, making substantial repairs. I would not hesitate to go back, assuming that the house is in good shape and they have a more reliable management company.
In spite of the problems, we were very comfortable and loved staying there. There's plenty of wonderful inside and outside room -- the master bedroom is especially nice and private -- and since we were two couples plus three late teens, private space (as well as communal space, when we wanted it) was a great feature.