Villas & the Economy + Friendly Advice for Villa Co's

Travel discussion for St. John
Gromit

Villas & the Economy + Friendly Advice for Villa Co's

Post by Gromit »

I know this kind of falls into the "Duh" category but...

WOW! I just checked a popular villa rental web site and looked up the place we're going to rent and was shocked.

Usually this time of year villas are booked pretty solid just after the swtich from high to low season (April 15) Especially April 15-mid July you'll normally see the calendars pretty filled up.

So far in June we're the only renters at our villa. It's wide open the rest of the month. March and May are also wide open so are the peak hurricane season months.

I thought it might be a fluke so I checked other villas on the same site at various price ranges. The result was basically the same: wide open starting in May.

On one hand this can be good if you are booking later for your vacation. On the other hand this means that it may be a very lean year for the Villa rental market (certainly not unexpected).

Certainly folks will want to look for bargains and discounts. But I think that villa companies can provide some added value and service to make things easier for guests. This may require more work on their part but it can make a big difference when selecting which villa co to rent from.

For me it would be things like accepting packages or boxes free of charge and bringing those along for the meet and greet at the dock. Especially with the additional fees for luggage this would make things much easier for your guests.

Another would be to offer basic villa provisioning at a flat low cost rate which covers the cost of fuel and a reasonable cost for your time. Have a basic menu of items to choose from. It doesn't have to be fancy. I now there are provisioning companies but I have often found the costs to be prohibitive even in good financial times.

The idea is to attract guests and keep your people employed. Since there are fewer bookings such services can accomplish those goals.

I'm guessing there are other folks on the forum who have ideas of how you can add value for us that would be mutually beneficial and doesn't necessarily involve lowering rental rates although I suspect that may also be on the horizon as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts??
*Another fine scatterbrained production
PA Girl

Re: Villas & the Economy + Friendly Advice for Villa Co'

Post by PA Girl »

Gromit wrote: Another would be to offer basic villa provisioning at a flat low cost rate which covers the cost of fuel and a reasonable cost for your time. Have a basic menu of items to choose from. It doesn't have to be fancy. I now there are provisioning companies but I have often found the costs to be prohibitive even in good financial times.

The idea is to attract guests and keep your people employed. Since there are fewer bookings such services can accomplish those goals.

I'm guessing there are other folks on the forum who have ideas of how you can add value for us that would be mutually beneficial and doesn't necessarily involve lowering rental rates although I suspect that may also be on the horizon as well.

Anyone else have any thoughts??
I second the agencies offering provisioning as a good idea.

We use a service each year just to get the next day's breakfast in the house. Its ok but I want to buy two gallons of OJ, no just the pint the company is willing to sell us. The basket idea is cute but I want more selection and larger sizes.

The service that was willing to sell items in family sized quanities had such a bizarre and expensive fee structure, we didn't consider them.

An agency that offered provision would certainly get my business.
Pia

Post by Pia »

OK, I'll start one but I would probably need to meet guests at the ferry dock with the item and not go to each individual villa (coordinating with cleaning crews etc would not be fun and I'd hate to get there too early and then them clean out the fridge :) )

What would be a reasonable fee for shopping and meeting - I am open to idea's

Pia
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Just checked ours and from March through May there are only 3 1/2 weeks rented and the summer is wide open!

No question that the competition must be extreme and I'd certainly start with your suggested service upgrades (at the least) if it was my livelihood on the line.

Come to think of it, our villa rental co should be dropping of a very nice "Welcome/Thanks for Still Coming! Basket" upon our arrival.

That would be a nice touch.

Dave
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

What I would be willing to pay would depend on the price structure. Would it be a straight hourly rate port-to-port or a blend of percentage of cost of food plus hourly rate?

When it comes to grocery shopping, I hate doing it at home and even more when on vacation.

I would pay someone $100 or more to stock me for the week. An hour of shopping and an hour each way to deliver would equate to $50 an hour.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Pia-- I guess for me (in terms of provisioning) it would be actual cost plus 5-10% or $25 minimum (whichever is higher) based on Cruz Bay prices.
That would be a no brainer for me and I'd probably even tip on top of that. That's just off the top of my head.

I'm guessing that you could keep a cooler in the car for any perishables.

Here's what I'm talking about in terms of a basic list:

Butter
1 doz eggs
bagels or english muffins
loaf of bread
Hot dogs
buns
chips
soda
cookies
OJ
Milk
kethcup
mayo
mustard
relish
cereal
Peanut butter
Jelly

Essentially these are straightforward, uncomplicated items that could fit into 1-2 bags. Perishables (milk, eggs, butter) could fit into a cooler in your car to stay cold.

The items would be enough to cover a basic dinner (hot dogs) and breakfast the next AM-- maybe even make sandwiches for lunch the next day. Just enough to get you through the first day.

The idea is to stick to basics and provide people with enough so that they don't feel like they have to rush out to the store that night.

Also the prices on these items should not fluctuate much so you can give folks an idea of what the costs will be up front.

As a side note, since it's not going to be a ton of money it can stay as a cash business (just sayin).

The idea here is not necessarily to MAKE money on the service but to give yourself that extra edge over someone else and to make sure your out of pocket costs are covered but not much more than that.

The same thing applies to packages. Put a limit on the size of the box (for storage purposes) but villa co's have to go to the post office anyway so why not pick up packages for guests as well?

Given the number of people on the books renting it looks like employees will have plenty of time on their hands.

When the greeter comes to get the key, give them the box. No extra trips are taken and at most you'll have to keep a few boxes in the corner.

Hope this clarifies what I'm trying to get started here...

Come on folks-- what free or at cost services would make you chosoe one villa co over another?
Pia

Post by Pia »

That is exactly what I am thinking - have a flat fee for the provisioning of basic items and have the most up to date prices of the items on the fax.

PA Girl I wouldn't want to shop for a week here either - not too bad for a couple but for a family of 12 in a 6 bedroom villa - ugh :)

I was thinking of a basic list that you could fax to me with preferences including size, options if they are out of stock of that size, or out of stock of your prefered cereal/milk/..........(fill in blank) - not that they are ever out of stock here :lol: I think I could add cold cuts, cheese, beer, rum and wine to the list - apart from that you had my list exactly.

People can PM me if interested or just keep this thread alive - I am working on a company name now - I think Pia Provisioning say's it all :lol:

Pia
ScottB

Re: Villas & the Economy + Friendly Advice for Villa Co'

Post by ScottB »

Gromit wrote:
For me it would be things like accepting packages or boxes free of charge and bringing those along for the meet and greet at the dock. Especially with the additional fees for luggage this would make things much easier for your guests.
I am dealing with Destination St John, who have already offered to take a small box that I ship down, and have it waiting in the villa for me upon my arrival date. They are meeting me at the dock, which I thought would be pretty standard for most. They also made my rental car reservations. So far they have been great.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Scott- that's great.

But other vila co's are charging $100 for that service. They've explained why and I understand their explanation but in this economy I'm hoping that they and others who charge will rethink this as an added value for guests.

Meeting at the dock and car rental are something that the villa co's already do (at least allt he one's we've used).
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Pia,

We are using a service on VG for our upcoming trip. Here is the link to their list -

http://www.bucksfoodmarket.com/Provisioning.html
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

One thing I would LOVE is to have sized fins waiting at the villa that our group could rent for the week. I hate traveling with fins and, with the checked baggae fees, it's getting expensive. Having them waiting and being able to leave them there for later pick-up would save us from trying to find a long-term rental place and then having to return them.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Katilady does basic provisioning, sort of. You can get eggs and breakfast stuff but not basic meal items.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

A coupon book, specific to the rental agency and/or villa, or for purchase (with Pia's Provisioning). If you rent XYZ villa or get provisioning from PIA, you will be given this coupon book worth ____ in savings!

Coupons for:
Starfish Market and other markets
Restaurants and Bars (get people to these new restaurants!)
Dingy rentals/boat rentals/snorkel gear/dive trips, etc.
Jeep rental

Villa provisioning that is reasonable is a fantastic idea, by the way. We've only done it once and it was fine but dang, it was expensive. I hate that first night:

You've been up since 2:30 am, have been on a park and fly shuttle to the airport, wandered around the airport before anything is open, flew to someplace, raced to catch another flight, flew a few more hours then, got to STT where you took a taxi, to a ferry, to land in paradise where you have to get your Jeep and then find the villa. 15 hours have gone by and all you've had to eat is "food for purchase" (chips/nuts/ candy) on your two flights and the asprin Ruth kindly gave you at the ferry dock. (I love you Ruth!) The last thing you want to do is go back to town and grocery shop. Hell, you don't even want to leave the villa. All you want to do is peel off the travel clothes, jump in the pool, breathe in the Caribbean air and then have something other than what's in the "welcome basket" (tortilla chips and room temperature Kraft cheese). Honestly, it doesn't have to be fancy. Just food. And, if all else fails, at least have some coffee for the first morning (and coffee filters; paper towels don't work all that well).
Last edited by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
maryed

Post by maryed »

Pia, I would be very interested if you decide to do basic provisioning. The others we have looked at charge ridiculous fees, and their pre-set provision lists have items we won't use and don't need. When we want BASIC, we don't mean fancy cheeses and fruits. The items that have already been mentioned in the list plus the ones you talked about would be perfect. Our trip is April 26-May 3, and we will be on Gifft Hill (which is a trek, to be sure).
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Pia how abut hostess with the mostess.LOL