Recommend Your Favorite Car Rental

Travel discussion for St. John
Adrienne

Recommend Your Favorite Car Rental

Post by Adrienne »

I have only used St. John car rental in the past and am considering trying someone new - I guess the prices are going to be the same. Just wondering if you all would let me know who you prefer and why.

Thanks!
ihochman

Post by ihochman »

We used Varlack last time and they were fine. Could park right outside their office. Also used Penn a number of years ago but didn't like what cars they have and seem to have gotten very expensive. We're using Denzil Clyne this time... I'll let you know when we get back.
mcdomzal

Post by mcdomzal »

We have used Conrad Sutton a couple of times and have always been happy. Their prices are $30/week less than everyone else for off season.
MCDomzal
RickG

Post by RickG »

We like Dependable for STT and Conrad Sutton for STJ. We got a one-day beater from Cool Breeze once with no problems.

Fair warning with Conrad Sutton, say "Good Morning/Good Afternoon" when you arrive. Wait for a response. Then ask How are you today?" Wait for a response. Then proceed. Less than that is rude and not tolerated by the Suttons. I've been learned by them.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I have used both Conrad Sutton and Courtesy and have no compaints. Take RickG's advice for Conrad Sutton's.
Conrad's offers in town parking but Courtesy has moved so I don't know what the deal is now. Courtesy will pick you up at the ferry dock on arrival and have also held luggage for us in the past after returning our Jeep.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

We love Conrad Sutton. I love their old school manners and meticulous way in which they maintain their vehicles. I never feel like the brakes are about to fail and I can't say that about some other outfits. We cart around some precious cargo in the back seat and I'm in no mood to take chances on those hills. Book early in high season because they book up quickly. Also, sweep the car as clean as possible of sand before you turn it in.....and be polite.
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

We really have enjoyed renting from Courtesy. They have been professional, so friendly & helpful in so many ways. We're renting from them again in May.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We're loyal Conrad Sutton customers.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

We like Courtesy. We switched to them a few years ago, when we need to pick our car up late. This was no problem for them.

Happy planning!
[/url]
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We've used Bougainvillea Car Rental on both of our trips(part of Schnell Studios) and have been very happy with them. Parking is in front of their studio building near the circle, so you have to walk a bit further to town, but no problem for us.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Definitely Conrads. The parking has always been available to us in their lot (which is a big plus!). Mrs. S can be a bit formabible at the start but once you start talking to her and show your respect, she opens up and invites you to church on Sunday! A very sweet lady and loves to talk about her island. Ask her the best place for authentic west indian food and she'll tell you right next door! The Suttons have always been wonderful and accommodating to us, I can't say enough good things about them!
djmom

Post by djmom »

This is a good time for me to ask. I won't name the car rental company because in the past we thought they were great. Now I am not so sure.

The last two times we have been on island we have had flat tires.

We do not do anything "bad."

I am wondering, do you guys get flat tires? Is this unusual that we would have them two years in a row?The tires seemed pretty bald, actually very bald. And after we put on the spare we asked for a replacement and they didn't want to give one to us. We really had to push for it.

I am wondering should we try someone new, or are flat tires the norm?

Any opinions?
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Definitely check the tires before you take the car. I wonder if it would help to call a few days in advance and tell the company that you want to make sure that the vehicle is in good shape, including the tires. Maybe then they would tag you for a newer one to avoid later complaints. It isn't cheap to rent on STJ so you should be assured a safe ride.

Dealing with Sutton removes all doubt. His vehicles are spotless and perfectly maintained in our experience.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

We have always used Denzil Clyne. We have always gotten a Grand Viatra with some dings and dents. Personally I like em like that they ran great. This time a flawless Jeep Liberty kinda made me nervous about putting a scratch on it. You can also park in there lot which is nice.
jdw

Post by jdw »

We are using Bougainvillea for the first time in May. So far they have been great to work with. Very accommodating when we needed to make a change. They also said we could return the jeep at noon since we have a later flight.